Flip saunders on John Thompson Show *AUDIO*

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Re: Flip saunders on John Thompson Show

Thompson's Georgetown teams made three Final Fours, and in their first one they lost in the final seconds to a North Carolina team led by James Worthy, Sam Perkins, and Michael Jordan. Not too much shame in that. Their loss to Villanova in '85 was the only time they could really be accused of failing to close out a team in the Final Four that they clearly should have beaten.
  2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

May I add that loss to Villanova was to a team that had to play a perfect game to beat G-Town. I belive they shot something like 60% from the field in that game. Hard to beat any team that does that.
  3. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I did a google search on Georgetown Press and came up with a lot of articles from 1996-2006, but no actual detailed description of what it is. Drawing from the context of references in these sports articles, I think the Georgetown Press is a full court press with all out intensity that exhausts the other team thereby forcing turnovers (bad passes, travels, double dribbles, etc.) and fast break situations. (In the present NCAA world, I think this is the defensive style of Bruce Weber's Illini team).

Here are excerpts from the articles if it jogs anyone's memory

"the Georgetown press of the Patrick Ewing years"

"…this great Georgetown press that completely dismantled Syracuse in the Big East final"

"… it was weird watching Kentucky struggle at times with the Georgetown press. You would think with the type of athletes Kentucky players go against everyday in practice; they would be able to break the press. The Georgetown press, which applied full court pressure throughout the game, can be credited with causing, or pressuring the Mountaineers into many of those turnovers. "Georgetown causes that (turnovers) because they play so many people and your kids get so tired and sometimes they make mistakes," Catlett said.

I am relieved to see Flip at least thinking about defense for our Pistons.It sounds like this style takes alot of energy and I worry that means that on the offensive end our guys will settle for jumpers. However, I think with Flip as coach they will be doing that anyway. Not to draw the comparison too closely between NCAA ball and the NBA, but on the other end Illinois offense is too pass MANY times VERY fast on the perimeter in the half court, until they find the right shot or are able to penetrate. It's not a bad style, but it is definitely perimeter jumpshooting basketball. Unnerving for the fan because everything happens very late in the shot clock too.

Now I could go for this if we had a real sharpshooter like Ray Allen. But with the guys we have, I don't know. (Sorry, I just have no faith in Flip. I'm trying, but....I just don't believe he will actually DO anything he talks about doing. I think he believes in his system, and that's what he will try to do again by adding in the rest of the playbook.)

I would love to see a defensive focus of any kind!:nod: Watching Pistons play defense is one of the great joys in life. I was so happy when they finally locked down against Cleveland. I love that stuff.

P.S. Also, does this Georgetown press work with the new rules? Illini got called for a gazillion more fouls than anyone else in NCAA tournament play this year. All for contact contact contact.
  4. linwood

linwood All-Star

Reading the Georgetown press articles, I would say it closely resembles the "Larry Brown 2004 Championship backcourt Press" exececuted to perfection by Mssrs Hunter and James.
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

If the bench plays well and everyone tries hard and does well with this method maybe things wont be so bad. now the bench really needs to play. This is one of the first times I like Flips idea.
  6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

For some reason not many NBA teams use an aggressive trapping system... When LB implemented it during the consecutive 70 pts or less run, it seemed to surprise teams.
    The following year he didn't trap nearly as much... I think this mostly had to do with personnel (Chauncey, Arroyo etc).... the prior year he had the pit bulls coming off the bench that played with high energy and athletsism... Sheed was a big factor that year in the full court press... the next year he seemed to play it passively.
    If Flip goes with a trap much he will have to use the bench much more this year... I can see Delfino excelling in this (good instincts for passing lanes)... maybe even Flip Jr. will do well with his athletisism... don't see Nazr matching Ben's anticipation.
    My guess is we'll trap more with the subs and less when Chauncey is in the game.
    One good thing that came out of the trap was how much time it took off the clock forcing opponents to quickly get into their sets where they didn't have 2nd and 3rd options.
  7. linwood

linwood All-Star

Mercury:

The trap is awesome. Call it Georgetown or LarryBrown or whatever you want. I wondered why the Pistons didn't use it near as much after Mike James left, and I think you must be right. It may take a special player to really pull it off. Perhaps Ronald Murray can be that guy, along with Lindsey.

Any defensive focus at this point is good for the team, in my opinion. I'm not a huge fan of the zone, but perhaps playing the zone will get these guys back to concentrating on the D. Also, maybe they can figure out how to break one down!:laugh:
  8. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I wasn't able to call in to the J Thompson Show, however, I did call Georgetown University Basketball athletic asst. Director. To make a long story short, he claims that the difference between your regular full-court press and the georgetown press is that GP is very consistent, the ball pressure is there on a lot of opponent's possessions. Like someone said here, you have to go deep, deep into your bench to make it work because of the intensity.

I guess what I can deduct from his conversation is, you must have a lot of defensive type players who are committed.

I lucked out and was invited over to see a practice. I think I will take him up on the offer. I guess my charisma cme through loud and clear on that one.
  9. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Dang armygirl. You're like an official PistonsForum.com reporter! Cool! :)
  10. linwood

linwood All-Star

Right on! Talk about above and beyond the call of duty!

This would be a major change from last years coaching philosophy. Not only would the bench need to be deep, but it requires a total commitment to defense?

I guess you can call me skeptical until I actually see it.
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

He'll probably use it every 5th game or so. Sounds physically demanding.
    Good work AuraK and ArmyG.
  12. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

It's great to have some original reporting. Thanks, armygirl!
  13. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

armygirl, this is fantastic! You are quite the investigative reporter. I am glad to know more specifically what the Georgetown press is. I hope you go to the practice. Maybe you can find out even more details of the way this Georgetown press works and then we can have a thread during the season as to whether Flip is actually using it. :fingerscr

I just love the idea that it would require us to go deep into the bench and that the players must play aggressive defense on all possessions.

Wow. I daresay this sounds like....DEEETROIT BAAASKETBAAALLL!

armygirl, our intrepid reporter on location and filing from Washington DC!

Boots on the Ground for the US :usa2: and
    Boots on the Ground for Pistonsforum.com :thumb:
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Here is the interview. It's an MP3, right click and SAVE AS to download (don't think it will stream well).

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=62962D6168C23162

or you can listen to it from the SportsTalk980 Podcast

http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/WASHINGTON-DC/WTEM-AM/08-22-06%20JT%20Flip%20Saunders_1.mp3

feed://www.sportstalk980.com/podcast/JohnThompson.xml

Kudos to lurker for tracking it down. :)
  15. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Ok, let me get this straight, deep bench + defensive intesity + constant pressure on several possesions???

From a Flip Saunders coached team.................????

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  16. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

If I understand this correctly, Flip blames the melt down; not on trying to win every game, wearing out his starters, refusing to develop a bench, refusing to base pt on performance, and going into the playoffs without a clue; to "high expectations," "news media," and crap about the bulls.

Crap

This may be the earliest I have ever given up on a Detroit team. I still haven't given up on this year's Lions.

Crap

Prediction, every day Darko puts up 20 and 10, every day Delfino looks like he can play, and every day we lose to teams we used to beat, is one day closer this clown is out of here. Unfortunately, at what cost.
  17. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

The Pit Bulls -- Hunter/James -- did not make an appearance in the 2004 playoffs. I think The Low nailed it -- it's a gimmick. I don't care about squeezing out a few extra wins in the regular season, which is all a press will do for you.

Flip is a systems guy. He seems to think basketball boils down to having better Xs and Os than the other team. What's obvious is that reliance on a system is futile in the playoffs -- all systems get cracked, all plays get defensed. Flip's talked about how the team could never get in its ``flow'' in the playoffs. There is no such thing as flow in the playoffs! He's been to the playoffs, what, 10 times now? If he hasn't learned by now, when will he?

I don't care about any Georgetown press, claims that the four all-star level starters need a journeyman center's 12-foot jumpers to open up the floor for them, some bull%%%% about high expectations, or whatever else he says. Flip doesn't get it, never will, and needs to be tarred and feathered and run out of town ASAP.

The scariest thing about this situation -- what does it say about Joe Dumars that this guy is still around?
  18. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm the farthest thing from a Flip supporter, but it has been only 1 season and we did finish with the best regular season record in franchise history.

To me, that has to count for something. Namely, a second chance (season) to get it right.

I don't know if he will get it right, but he should at least be given the chance.

Short of Flip killing someone, there was no way that Joe could fire the guy after 1 season - a winning one at that, despite the playoff collapse. Joe has already proven - with Carlisle and LB - that he isn't afraid to fire his coach.
  19. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

I should have been more specific. This offseason was basically a power struggle -- Flip vs. Ben, offensive identity vs. defensive identity. Regardless of who's in the lineup and who's coaching, Joe, IMO, took the obivously and frighteningly wrong side.
  20. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

It counts for something...the dubious distinction of a great reg season coach and a weak post season result.
    What did the team accomplish? Bench development. Nope. Team cohesiveness. Nope. Championship? Nope. Inspiring play? In the beginning and then nope.