Flip leaps into the Penthouse

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LA Sam, Oct 4, 2005.

1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Phil and Flip

They also both coached in the CBA, I believe.
  2. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

They're also both named Phil. Hmmmmm ...
  3. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I like the Phil comparison, Flip has the chance to not only bring back a championship, but to do something LB never did, which is to dominate the league during the regular season.

And I know it's early but from camp reports, it seems Flip is trying to find out what his guys can do, and let them do it, rather than forcing them to play forced roles, wether they're made for them or not. i.e., Darko being allowd to play away from the post, zone D where our guys can play areas, rather than chacing people all over (Ben should absolute dominate in the zone), shifting JMax to 3-4, rather than 4-5, which will probably be his more natural position in the NBA considering his height.

62 wins and a title
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

What do Carlisle and Brown have in common?

I just chopped out the one sentence. Carlisle got his big chance under Joe Dumars, who set him up with some pretty good players. Brown won his Ship under Dumars, who set him up with some pretty good players. Now its Flip's turn. But above all, its Dumars who is driving the Pistons' success.

Microwave, I sense you changing your mind about this current crop of rookies we have. Thats Dumars. I expect Darko, Delfino, Acker, Maxiell, and possibly Amir Johnson to all to have fine seasons coming up. All guys recently drafted by Dumars. And Arroyo, a guy Dumars just traded for too. Along with Mo Evans, a guy Dumars just traded for. Maybe Dumars is getting better. Especially in learning that the team you provide and the coach you pick must be a match.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Best coach

Riley.Although he is not choosing to coach at the moment, he remains the best available out there today. After that, as far as teaching the right system, its Brown. But Brown has some serious issues with certain players that really hurt him as a coach. Carlisle? Forget it. Plays favorites and is blind to what is best for his team way too often. Only thing keeps him straight is Bird has him under his thumb pretty well.

Pop plays Larry's system and is a decent human being to his players. Sure he can be tough, but its from the right motivation. Flip I won't say I know enough about. I do know its a bum rap to labeled a first round loser when five of those teams went on to win it all. Daly was great at finding and using the best from each player, but I won't count him as he is probably retired for sure at this point.

Altogether, I say Riley, Pop, Brown, and then the rest you can have.

Again, I don't know Flip that well, as I generally concentrate on East teams much more than West teams during the regular season. But I do like a lot of what he is saying, while being skeptical of a few things too. But most of it I like, and I believe he is being handed a team that is going to fit his way of doing business perfectly.

I fully expect the Pistons to win it this year. But I won't give Flip that much credit for it. Now, if Larry had stayed, I'd say no way we win this year as Larry would have far more into excuse making as to why he can't play this player or that vs. getting the team ready to win another Ship. No room for playing games like that this upcoming season with SA making some improvements.

Most other coaches who we could have gotten besides Flip we would win with this year. Laim could have done it just fine. Or Mahorn. Not really a ton of experience needed, more just the willingness to keep an open mind on players and let them win games for you and avoiding games. The Pistons are that good right now, in my opinion. Just need a coach that won't get in the way.