1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Flip Interview

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I didn't take it to mean that Flip was going to let the players do whatever they pleased or that he wouldn't challenge them and stay on them to try something new or a bit different. I think he just meant that certain players are not able to do particular things well or perhaps do certain things in a particular manner.

If I remember correctly, he was referring to playing Darko in the post or something. I think Flip said he would like him there in situations where he could utilize Darko's speed and movement to keep the defender at a disadvantage, but not have Darko play there all the time or try to change his game totally. That would mess him up more than benefit him or the team.

I think Flip is flexible and that could be a big positive. He isn't the type to say "do this and do it like this and only when I say or go sit on the bench". Why force a player into a situation where he will fail? I think Flip's ego is in check and he doesn't need to use that "my way or the highway " mentality. He utilizes players strengths and helps them develop them further.

2. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Overall I think he did alright with his answers.Not knowing much of Flip or how he coaches it was interesting to hear his points.But like you guys touched on not making them do something they aren't comfortable with and pushing them I don't know that is a good philosiphy.Unless he is extremely good at over using what everyones comfortable doing.

I don't know if I'm nervous or excited about this season I can't wait for it to get rollin.The bottom line is another ship though and he better know it.

3. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

I still don't have that warm & fuzzy feeling yet.

Coming off LB, Flip seems so breezy. I remain very concerned about that.

He sounds like RC in regards to Ben's offense. I'm no genius, but I seem to recall Ben distancing himself from RC because of this. Could it cause a rift between Ben and Flip? This could be bad news.

Also, Rasheed is going to take a record number of three-pointers this season. Why wouldn't he? Flip doesn't sound like he cares. "As long as you're open and you can shoot the three."

I dunno. I guess I should wait for him to get to know the team before I make any judgments. But it seems like he knows so little about the Pistons. He doesn't say Tayshaun's name correctly. Talking about Ben's strengths - I don't fully remember what he said - but I remember feeling like it was a very weak analysis. When Wojo asked him if there would be an adjustment going from a team that revolved around a superstar to a team without a superstar, Flip seemed to miss the point of the question all together, which worries me big time.

Because this guy's a Western Conference guy with a Western Conference mentality. There exists very little proof that he's capable of coaching the gritty and gruesome style of basketball we've come to love and expect in the Eastern Conference. He says he intends to make our defense even better...but he says he's gonna do that with Zone. WTF? Zone is for nancies, generally speaking. It's a lazy defense for lazy defenders. Keeping the D unpredictable is okay with me, and using zone occasionally doesn't sound terrible. But I pray we stick with the brutal man-to-man scheme we're used to seeing. Does Flip understand why that's so important though? I don't get the impression he does.

I'm just deeply afraid that Flip was not the best choice for this job. I think we'll continue to be highly competitive...but.

BUT Larry Brown was a near perfect fit for this group of players and this environment, and without him (or someone in his mold) the Pistons are facing an even greater challenge to snatch the crown away from San An.

I guess what I'm saying is, in my book, and fair or not, Flip is guilty until proven innocent. My gut tells me this season will be fun, but that we will lose somewhere in the middle-to-late playoffs. Probability says you can't beat Indiana every year.

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE, I did like when Flip said he'd like to keep things more unpredictable, especially on offense. Fewer isolations will be great.

4. Darth Tater

One thing that was kind of funny...he seemed to struggle a bit at times with the "we/they" distinctions when discussing the Wolves or Pistons. :confused:

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

See that's the thing that worries me a little. The last guy (Coach YKW) was big on pushing hard and demanding play to his style. Last time I checked, it worked pretty good.

Your players can't fail if you are there to teach and guide them. Can you imagine if we stopped making kids do math because they had a tough time with it? Yeah, the kids not good at math so I won't work with him on it or ask him to do it. Extreme example, I know but you get my point.

Like I said, I don't care if we start Acker, Dupree, Evans, Maxiell and Darko, I just want to win. But some of that stuff was a little unnerving to hear. I'm an ECF guy. I like smash mouth basketball because that is what it takes to be a contender in this conference.

6. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Hmmm.....

Hmmm.... How can I say this delicately.

I couldn't disagree more. If LB was the perfect fit for this team and they were so disciplined under him, then why did Sheed come into camp OVERWEIGHT last year. Was he afraid that LB would bench him, or keep him in line? Obviously since he was coming into camp out of shape, he had no fear of losing PT. LB didn't do anyting to Sheed. LB had alot of flaws but apparently most people are either in the LB camp or glad to see him gone.

LB wasn't perfect. He didn't get along with all players and he didn't get the most out of all his players. He just didn't relate to all players on the roster. It's rare for a coach to be liked by everyone and be successful but it sounds as if Flip plans on looking at everyone's games and seeing how they best fit into an offensive scheme.

I'm fairly optimistic that we will reach the FINALS and win the title, but I'm a huge believer in our young guys on the bench too. I may be drinking kool-aid but it sure tastes good.

GO PISTONS !!!!

7. roscoe36

Yeah but he did win more than any other coach from the East since Phil Jackson. It's not the coach's job to relate or be friends. It's his job to win. That is how Flip will be judged.

I guaransheed that this forum will be an anti-Flip nuthouse if we don't at least make the ECF and compete deep into the series.

Let's hope he does well and it never comes to that. No need to dump on the last coach. The dude was here for the 2 Finals runs and that's a more impressive resume than any Piston coach except Daddy Rich.

8. Darth Tater

Well, actually your players CAN fail if you are there to teach and guide them. It all depends on whether you actually do teach and guide them and the manner in which you do so.

Also, I know what you are saying about the math, but take that same kid. He is a lefty. You tell him to do it with his right hand because that's the way you are comfortable with and that's the "right way" (no pun intended) to do it. The kid has always written with his left hand, and is so focused on worrying about his writing that he gets all of the problems wrong...plus his penmanship stinks even worse.

Sometimes a teacher needs to know when to adapt.

Will Flip strike the proper balance with the team we all love ? I think so, but that remains to be seen.

9. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

You're overlooking all of the things Larry Brown did well. I don't know what else to say.

10. roscoe36

You know, I read this originally as "your players can't fail if you don't try to teach them". I know that's not what you meant, it's indicative of how tired I am. :)

I'm talking about skills based learning, not biological imperative but I see your point.

That definitely was not LB. I am warming to the idea we needed a "new" coach, I'm just not feeling super good after listening to the interview today. Maybe I am expecting too much. I am trying to give Flip the benefit of the doubt. After all, Mariucci almost sounds like he knows what he is doing and that guy is a clown.

11. Darth Tater

Microwave

True, but Mooch was also hired by a clown (Millen).

Joe has a great eye for coaches and veteran players. He is successful because he is aware of the needs of the club and the chemistry within. Like them or not, RC and LB were very successful. I trust Joe's judgment on these things plus Flip looks ok to me.

12. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

Ben

What Flip was saying is that Ben will be involved in the offense, he will just be used more effectively. I'm sorry, but throwing the ball to Ben in the post, watching him airball a layup or go to the line for at least one guarantee miss is not good basketball. With Ben our biggest priority is putting him in a position to get offensive rebounds. LB used to PMO(piss-me-off) by making Ben handle the ball at the top of the key. He should NEVER be that far from the basket.

Another good way to utilize Ben and Flip specifically mentioned this is to face him up and let him use that quickness and explosiveness to get around those lumbering big guys. He is also developing a decent short range jumper. We need to give Ben the ball just enough to keep the D honest. After that let him crash the glass and draw plays up with Ben as the last option. If we have good ball movemant I could see Ben open for plenty of lobs and alley oops.

13. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Ben strategy

Yeah, but once he gets around the slow big guys, he usually doesn't convert, gets fouled, and then goes to the line and tosses up a few bricks. The guy must learn to shoot free throws. Plain and simple. I do not believe the Pistons have done all they can do to help Ben in this respect. :frusty:

14. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

If the guys wins the title, does it really matter?

15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I have to agree with this... Ben facing up does indeed create mismatches... there isn't a center out there quick enough to stay with Ben when he makes his move... but he has to be able to convert FT's to make them pay for being late and fouling out of neccesity.

If we were talking about a young team I could understand the concerns about not pushing guys like LB did... I think this is the perfect situation to let the vets expand on what they already understand... but if they start slipping into bad habits, will thay be disciplined enough to understand the difference between empowerment and what's best for the team?... I hope someone on the staff is tough enough to push the right buttons when needed.

Just read ggazoo's response... corrupt minds think alike :^)

16. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

It does matter

It matters because, as fans we should want long term success for our team. What LB does is go for the "quick fix".

Take Philly for example. That is the longest that LB has been in one place in recent history. He was there 6 years. He got to the FINALS in 2001 (?). After their Finals run, Philly declined. They never made it back and didn't get better. I don't know for sure but I don't think they made it out of the 2nd round after that. So for 3 years after getting to the FINALS LB's team did SQUAT. So he spent 6 years in Philly and it took him 3 years to reach the FINALS and then he didn't come close after that. He team regressed after that because LB did NOTHING to develop younger talent there, instead he chose his preferred method of "riding the veterans" and when they aged beyond usefulness the team suffered mightily.

LB's time in DETROIT was over. I think his "usefullness" as a coach was going to come to an end. The longer he stayed the more he alienates the younger players and the more he runs the veteran into the ground. He would create a gap between the two to the point where younger players aren't being blended in to "help" ease the older guys from playing too many minutes. You have to "blend" in the youth and vets to stay successful. I think that is one thing you will see this year.

Everyone knows our bread and butter is our starting 5. They need minutes but I liked hearing that Flip wants to integrate the younger players into roles with them. He wants to always have 2-3 starters out there and allow the young players to play with the first teamers and run the offenses and defenses with guys who do it all the time. It's always easier to work with someone who has done the job before.

Flip just struck me as a breath of fresh air. I think it will be a welcome change. I know I've read some concerns about players getting too lax under him but it seems to me that Joe brought in "professionals" and they don't necessarily need "motivated". I think last year will really motivate them. I know I'm looking forward to a great and exciting season.

GO PISTONS !!!!

17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Thats a great point, but what I think is going to happen to Flip is that he'll change many of his ways to the Detroit style, but just try to get some new ideas in there. He said he'd use zone a lot, which would be good against Indy since Tinsley is a good at getting inside the opponents paint, and he said he'll use the pick and roll a lot against the Heat, and Shaq never gaurds that.

18. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

regarding Ben, i think he is most effective when his points come assisted from others.

i DON'T want to see Ben isolated in the post. he's quick, but his ball handling and finishing are suspect at best.

what i DID like about Flip's interview was when he talked about how the offense would attempt to flow through everyone. in that regard, i expect (hope) to see Ben scoring his points off of transition, pick/rolls, offensive rebounds, and alley-oops. he should use his quickness to get open, NOT in one-on-one situations (where he's horrid).

say what you will about LB developing players, Ben has peaked offensively. he wasn't going to suddenly become a solid jump shooter/FT shooter with another season under LB.

19. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Wow....all that from one interview....

Whew, wow that must have been one heck of an interview with the debate that has cropped up here.

Anyway, I haven't heard the interview yet and looking to do it tomorrow since I'm tired as hell, but I like the guy. He seems to know how he wants this team to play. And I'm sure, he'll listen to the players in return, and be more receptive to the players.

Basically, he hasn't proven anything yet except he knows how to reach out to players. We don't even know how the players respond to them. Let's give the guy the chance he will have this season to show what he can do.

I'm OPTIMISTIC as heck that we will win again this year. Well, I've been that way every year since I started loving the Pistons in 1988, but hey, I do think that we can win it all again from a fair perspective. He seems to know what to do with Darko and I am receptive to the zone defense being that there are so few shooters in the NBA right now.

LB led us to 2 finals and winning one. He has a great basketball mind and know the X and O's but he pissed people off. Yes he got paid to win. And that he did till the last game of the NBA Finals. Flip is getting paid to do the same and like micro, I don't care how he does it, and until then I will choose to support the guy rather than have him guilty til proven innocent. :nod:

20. Fool

Fool First Round Draft Pick

I agree with Iamme about what I think is the best way to use Ben. Don't leave him out of the offense (Carlisle) and don't ask him to creat his own shot (LB opening shot of every game) but use him as the guy you get the defense to drift away from and then dump it into him for easier buckets.

I also agree with the more wary of you, in that I worry that his freer style will lead to Rasheed becoming Radmanovich and the 1,2, and 3s not rebounding. However, I loved what I heard about Rasheed saying he would be more aggressive and Flip's focus on ball movement (always a good opinion). I am still on the fence (HA HA HA!!) about the use of the zone. If its an accent to the overall D, then ok, but if we start basing our D on it, I think its a poor move.