Fixing the Raptors

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by rdang, Sep 3, 2005.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Great article on Hoopsworld about the Raptors.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_15640.shtml

2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Dang, you're right. The taxes and monetary systems between the to countries isn't fair. But towns like Det., Tor. and Minn. to name just a couple will always be hind tit to NY and LA. or warm weather cities. Re: Allan Houston.
  3. roscoe36

HOT OFF THE PRESS!!!

Raptors fire General Manager Rob Babcock and promote Wayne Embry to Interim GM. WOW!
  4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Boobcock is gone, enter the next Boob to run the Raps. This teams is the Lions of the NBA. They can't do anything right.

Its not as though this franchise hasn't had opporunities, with players like VC, T-Mac, Damon Stoudamire, C-Bills and now CB4. They just can't get their acts together.
  5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

7. roscoe36

I just watched a replay of the presser on The Score and Richard Peddie the President & CEO (know nothing about basketball corporate hatchetman) of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment said they would be hiring an "experienced GM".

I thought Babcock should have been fired for drafting Rafael Araujo, but this year's draft was awesome. Consider that he got his first GM job weeks before the Araujo draft.

I also like Sam Mitchell as a foundation coach.

The Raptors are doomed as long as they are tied to a hockey management team. All MLS&E cares about is booking every single night at the AC. They could care less about building a winner in Toronto or developing basketball in Canada.

This move ticks me off. Let's see who they hire. It was low to give Wayne Embry the interim job as Babcock recruited him to come to T.O. to assist with his first GM stint.

If you listen to Peddie in the presser, he was absolutely insulting of Babcock. Classless. RB on the other hand said that he did not see this coming, and was very professional and candid about the realities of sports business.

As a side note, Rob Babcock was the assistant GM to McHale in Minny. I'm sure he has ties to Flip.

All of this on the day after Mo Pete and Jose Calderon got into it on the sideline during a game. Maybe we'll get lucky and the incoming GM will clean house. There are a couple pieces on that roster who look interesting.

Here is a media report of the history and dismissal.
  8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Well if Ronnie doesn't work out in Sactown... Petrie will be available:P
  9. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

Agreed 100%.

Now that attendance is down, they're worried about getting the fan base back. Babcock was just a scapegoat for MLS&E's failure as a company to bring what its purpose was: to entertain.

I just hope the Raptors don't get #1 draft pick this year. Cause having Rudy Gay be their new cornerstone wouldn't work out too well for marketing. Who would wanna wear a purple jersey with "GAY" on the back?
  10. roscoe36

TheStar.com - New ball cuts deeply with some NBAers
    Is it just me, or does it seem wrong for the Head Coach to be playng shooting games with his players for money?
  11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

First time I heard anything about the ball cutting player's hands. That doesn't seem like a good thing.

Especially since Nash is a sprocket.