1. Summer League Starts SATURDAY July 1 More info HERE.

Dismiss Notice
  2. PF.com is also on Facebook. Follow/Like us Here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixing (i.e. repairing) the end of games

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Laimbrane, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

While taking a break on my wandering through the desolate ashes of the post-election online commentary landscape, I came across a thread on Reddit asking "What is a 100% legal move in a game or sport that is frowned upon and viewed as a **** move?" A little ways down the page is a discussion about the hack-a-Shaq move, which wasn't wholly unexpected. However, what caught my attention was a sub-discussion with posters stating that they can't watch the NBA because of the fouling at the end of games. Of course we know this has been an issue for a long time, but it got me thinking about it this morning and I think I have a radical and potentially wonky solution that I wanted to get your thoughts on.

The Totally-Not-Intentional-Wink-Wink Fouling at the end of games serves the purpose of letting the opposing team still have a chance, albeit with a reduced probability that still (theoretically) favors the team with the lead and the ball. The downside is that it slows the game down to a crawl, ruining what could otherwise be the greatest endgame in sports were fouls not allowed (see: the end of every close NCAA tournament game). So any solution has to retain the benefit while fixing the problem. And I think that solution might lie in fixing the the shot clock.

We add two small 2' x 2' pressure-activated squares on the sideline in front of the scorer's table. Whenever a player that is currently checked into the game stands in one of those squares, the shot clock countdown rate speeds up by a factor of 2.4 so that, after a made basket, a player could cause the 24-seconds to tick down in as little as 10 seconds instead, at the cost of his team having to defend 4-on-5 the whole time. If players are occupying both squares, the shot clock increases by a factor of 4, so that it's reduced to a minimum of 6 seconds (and becomes 3-on-5). Players in the game can stand on it for any amount of time they wish, so the game doesn't actually need to stop to handle this change because it increases the speed of the shot clock in a linear way rather than a binary one.
    • For example, let's say we're near the end of the game and the losing team makes a basket with 30 seconds remaining. One of now-defending players runs over and steps on the plate as the ball is inbounded. He stands there for three seconds, and in that time runs the clock down by 7.2 seconds (3*2.4). He then steps off the plate to get back on defense with 16.8 seconds on the shot clock and 27 seconds on the game clock, giving his team 4.2 extra seconds while risking a man-advantage fast break.
    If a player is fouled in the last five minutes, then you give the opposing team free throws and run the game clock down as if the players standing in it continued standing in it for the duration of the shot clock.
    • For example, let's say we're near the end of the game with a defender standing in one of the squares. The opposing team is fouled, stopping the game clock with 30 seconds left and the shot clock with 18 seconds left. The game clock is reduced by 7.5 seconds (18 seconds divided by the factor of 2.4), leaving 22.5 seconds left on the game clock. The fouled team lines up for two free throws, and the game continues as normal.
    It feels weird, but the math can be handled pretty easily behind the scenes. I think it would dramatically smooth out the game flow and increase the pace at the end of games while still simultaneously giving losing teams more opportunities to come back and allowing the winning teams to retain a competitive advantage.

Thoughts?

roscoe36 likes this.
  2. max

max All-Star

I would like to see the option to simply decline a foul as in Football.

roscoe36 and Mogilny like this.
  3. Laimbrane

Every time a foul happens, though, it slows the game down. As fans we're devoted to watching and have gotten used to it, but for many fans it's painful to sit through. The reality is that as long as it provides any sort of strategic advantage, teams will use it, and it creates a less-watchable product. I just want that awesome end-of-game blitz that we see in college.

roscoe36 and Nemo like this.
  4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

That's a very creative, out of the box type thinking. It could definitely create a lot of excitement. However, it is also something that is so radically different that the players union would fight hard against.

The intentional fouling has two consequences: you've outlined the first one, the boring fritos, quite accurately. The other consequence is that it creates more "desperate to score as fast as possible" opportunities for the team that's trailing. That part is really exciting and can create a lot of dramatic finishes. However, it gets totally offset by the slow, lazy meandering to the foul line, staring blankly etc etc. Maybe something can be done to speed that part up. Currently a player must shoot the free throw within 10 seconds of receiving the ball at the free throw line. Maybe in the last 2 minutes of a game, that clock starts as soon as the ref blows the whistle. So, the intentional foul is still there, but you better shoot that frito fast.

roscoe36, Nemo and Laimbrane like this.
  5. Laimbrane

I actually like that idea. A lot.

Walter and roscoe36 like this.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

How about when fouls occur under 2 minutes, the victim can choose to dunk his FTs instead of shoot them.

Walter, roscoe36, Nemo and 1 other person like this.
  7. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You lost me at pressure-activated squares

8. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

What about when fouls occur under 2 minutes, the victim can choose to shoot or dunk his FTs from the pressure-activated squares?

9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I'd go with the 20-25' high basket and make it worth 20-25 points like they used to do in the MTV Rock and Jock games before I'd do the pressure activated squares.

10. Ernie the Slow Adult

This isn't limited just to the end of games but do they have to review every shot to the head?

Gasol inadvertently hit Drummond in the head while playing D last night. I hate the way it is called but it was obvious that they were going to call a flagrant based on the way it is called now.

Would it kill them just to make the call on the floor? Maybe let the coaches have a couple of challenges.

roscoe36 likes this.
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Like the NFL, the NBA is going to kill its product with over-regulation.

Just let the boys play.

Mogilny likes this.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Some regulation is a good thing. They are going way overboard creating solutions for problems that don't exist.

That was a horrible call against Gasol. I don't understand how accidentally striking some in this face is flagrant.

They should use the same methodology for in game stuff like flagrants, break away fouls and even charges.

If you have to ask it isn't one of those things. Assess them after the fact and use training to try and catch it live.

roscoe36 likes this.
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

But once the standard for review has been set, the refs have to review every foul that could potentially qualify.

They are really just doing their job.

The problem starts at the top.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.