FIBA World Championship Games

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by mercury, Jun 21, 2006.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is a pretty ridiculous summation. He only had 3 PFs. No matter how terrible they were, 3 fouls for a center is acceptable. I think the stats that stand out are 1) Darko didn't attempt a single free throw, 2) Darko didn't attempt any 3-pointers, and 3) Darko had an abnormally high number of rebounds for him.

You would think he was playing soft because he didn't get fouled, but he also blocked 3 shots and got all those rebounds, which is not playing soft.

Whatever the case, he was a major factor.
  2. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Yes, he was a major factor, THE major factor. Even his running mate who has been right up there with him in scoring, did not do much.

And when you are the only real major factor for your team, it is very easy for the opposing players to sag off on you and make your life more difficult.

This experience of being 'the man' will do him well in the upcoming season. He will not have to fill that position in Orlando, but having done it for these games will help.

I wonder if it will attract some of the other NBAers who are from Serbia back to the team next time. I heard it said that there are seven NBAers who would be eligible to play for them in the Olympics.

Anyway, with Delfino, Darko, Arroyo, and Dwight, it has been a very interesting summer of games. I wish I had been able to see more but the stupid Charter Cable in mid-Michigan does not offer NBA-TV or League Pass. That pretty much ruins my NBA season as well, unless I make the break and get a dish.

I wanted to see the Orlando games in addition to the Pistons games, which I will be watching anyway.

Is that my wife I just heard utter a major sigh of relief :ohwell: :redface: ??
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Next game up... Greece in the Semi finals.

This is an impressive team... After watching them dismantle China & France here my observations on this team:

They pick up full court on most possesions... they can create several T.O.'s by trapping in the backcourt.
    On offense they rarely force a shot... extremely unselfish.... they'll slow it down and make the extra pass.
    They have guards that can break down a defense...Spanoulis (I think headed to the Rockets) has a gr8 crossover and is quick.
    They have a 6' 7" PG in Papaloukas, that creates mismatches...
    Fotis (6' 10" PF) can play inside and out (good 3 pt shooter)
    Vassilopoulos is also a big forward with range
    The team has several excellent outside shooters... they like to get inside and kick it back out...USA will have to respect the perimeter and not over commit to the drives... you can see why they create problems the way they can stretch a defense
    Inside they have good size with Papadopoulos and Schortsianitis (you may recall him as Baby Shaq from the 03 draft)... Baby Shaq is a brute down low and is quick for a 330+ Lb player... he'll present a physical challenge to Howard.... Their bigs get a lot of put back stuff as their guards force opponent bigs to help.
    They spread the minutes out amongst 12 players which keeps them fresh.
    If I had to pick out a weakness I would say they are not real good in defending in half court... they can be broken down and their bigs foul a lot...
    They are physical up front but I think Bron and Melo will have the advantage.
    Chris Paul against their guards is the key matchup... he's gonna have to work real hard staying in front of his man and he'll need to make good decisions against the trap.
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Greece 101 - U.S. 95 :ohwell:

"Done in again by their inept 3-point shooting -- and they weren't much better from the foul line -- the Americans will fall short of a championship in a major international tournament for the third straight time since winning gold at the 2000 Olympics.
    The Greeks -- with no current NBA players on their roster -- danced in a circle at halfcourt after their victory".

Greece 101, U.S. 95 - NBA - Yahoo! Sports
  5. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Oh baby, this one hurts. :frusty: Coach K and Co. can't get it done. :confused: The world (sans the United States) rejoices as the Dream Teamers go down. Looks like the Greeks couldn't miss.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I said they needed shooters... :rolleyes:
  7. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I didn't see the game, but obviously the main problem was with the USA defense, from this game summary:

I also like how Wade throws the coaching staff under the bus here:

When a team of NBA all-stars is unable to defend the pick and roll, the solution is obviously to...blame the coaches. Nice leadership there, Flash.
  8. roscoe36

Maybe a zone or something... LMAO.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

As long as there are no Pistons on the new "Dream Team", then I don't really care that much. Deep down inside, I just wanted to see Wade and Lebron get stiffed on the calls and come up short.

The good news is that we now get to see Delfino play against us. Maybe Argentina should have played him for more than 12 minutes. By the way, didn't we have Pepe Sanchez on the roster for a little while?
  10. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

What a LOAD OF RUBBISH!!! David Stern is killing USA BASKETBALL!

Where's the SUPERSTAR's call in the FIBA??? None.

I bet the DETROIT PISTONS 2006 would have won the GOLD!!!
  11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's partly about superstar calls and all that. The international game looks a lot more like the NBA in the 80s than the NBA now. Mostly though I think it's about a total meltdown in basketball fundamentals in the league, especially in the younger players. They learn to drive and dunk (sometimes even without traveling), but they don't know how to shoot, run off screens, or play defense.

As obvious as it might seem, they don't teach you to play basketball at high levels in high school. College used to help with some of that, and used to be, most rookies didn't make the leap to superstardom right away like the kids do now.

Wade's attitude about the coaching is a clear sign of the problem. Get out of my way when things are going well and only help me when they aren't. If the NBA wants to be the premier league in the world, some guys are going to have to learn that freakish athletic skills aren't enough in a team game.

I think the worst thing that could have happened to basketball in the U.S. would have been for this team to waltz right through the worlds. We need an ongoing wake-up call, not just one that rings once and goes away. It's broke worse than that.
  12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Very good point.

An added bonus is that it ticks off Stern to lose on the world stage! :evil:
  13. max

max All-Star

They knew there would be no NBA calls and I thought did a good job adjusting. Wade, James, Mello, Bosh played a lot better this time around.

They were doing quit well up until the last game. Then again thats been the story as a of late, Team USA always seems to run out of gas.
  14. linwood

linwood All-Star

To me it seemed like team USA had no answer for the number 5, Sotksosskseiplkalipsalisalk. That guy had a great game, and handed out fouls like he was working the register at the No Free Chili line.

I agree with the team vs. player theory proposed here, but am also concerned that the "best basketball players in the world" couldn't overcome their short time together. Wade, James, Anthony, and Howard are some of the best atheletes the NBA has seen. If they can't get together and learn the game in time, is there any hope for a Dream Team?
  15. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

I agree with this and this point should be taken seriously. USA Basketball might be better off sending over an intact NBA team. This idea of a having a team of superstars isn't working. The only sport where All-Star teams work is baseball because you have to play your OWN position. Not the same in hoops, hockey and football, at least not to the same extent.
  16. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Even if sending an intact NBA team would increase the USA's chances, I can't see any of the owners agreeing to that. The competitive disadvantage that team would have going into the next season, from having played all those extra games, would be anathema to any serious NBA title contending team.
  17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Spain beats Argentina by 1 after trailing by as many 12 points in the first half. So what was supposed to be the Gold medal game with the USA vs Argentina, will now be the favorites fighting for the "la Bronze".

I too am glad there were no Pistons on the team and am kind of happy that we don't have to hear the words "Dwayne Wade, NBA Champion and gold medalist all in the same sentence." :rolleyes: for the next 10 months.

Also I love it when Coack K loses:)

The game is being replayed right now 10 AM PDT (1PM EDT) on NBA TV for those who hang out home and have this channel.
  18. roscoe36

The crazy thing is, most fans here won't recognize that the team to send is the Phoenix Suns, not the Pistons, Cavs or Heat.
  19. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

1000% agree!!!
    True words- I have to admit that I enjoyed the FIBA games more than usual (or even playoff) NBA games. No superstar calls, good strategies, superb shooters, setting screens and so on- it was much better basketball- not by athleticism, but by the style of play. After this tournament I realized how bad NBA basketball has become in the last years with all this traveling, superstar calls and so on. I love the Pistons, but not the NBA (any longer; that was different some years ago).
  20. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Excellent points.