Fantasy Questions

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by MainManJoeD, Sep 28, 2005.

1. MainManJoeD

MainManJoeD First Round Draft Pick

Seems like there's probably a number of questions out there for the moderators about the fantasy leagues that are being generated.

I'll put one out there.

Are we considering doing a computer generated draft, or a live draft? I'm dying to do a live draft, because beyond potentially being a lot of fun, it really allows a person to have control in drafting their teams, and draft a well-balanced team. In my experience with Yahoo leagues' computer draft, it is very difficult to keep from getting too many players at a given position, then having to drastically readjust the team through trades after the draft.

I think that a service like Yahoo Messenger could allow for a live draft, where we can all talk at the same time, as each pick progresses.

If there's no interest in the live draft, I'm still very interested in playing fantasy ball with such a knowledgable bunch!

2. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

Forgive my ignorance, could you explain how Yahoo does the computer-generated draft? Do people still have to do manual drafts these days, like going to someone's house and picking, or that the computer systems are not smart enough to handle it?

I wrote a live draft system 3 years ago for IRC, it was pretty sweet (albeit unpolished and would require some alterations now that I'm a lot smarter), and only took 2 weeks. I could probably fix it up given another 2 weeks and have a sweet system. I shoulda pursued it awhile ago, probably could have sold the technology lol.

3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Yahoo has a couple of options:

Live online draft - users log in and make their picks online real time (very cool if you can get enough people to agree on a draft time)
    Auto-generated draft - users make a draft list which is ordered based on the priority they would like to draft a player, the computer randomly determines the draft order, and players are selected automatically for a respective team based on who is the highest player available on draft list
    Manual draft - results of the draft performed independently are loaded into the Yahoo league

4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

What if some people can't draft at the time every one else is?

5. MotownPride

I think it uses your draft list and makes the selection for you...but I'd have to check. I've never done both before. :confused:

6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

So we all have to agree when the draft is, so when is it going to be?

7. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

draft

i personally would prefer to just do a computer draft no sitting waitng for 9 other people to pick it kinda sucks. I have only done it once and wasted over an hour and a half. I vote computer draft.

8. MotownPride

Just confirmed. It definitely uses your pre-draft selection list if you are not present for the live draft.

9. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

draft

so any word yet on a desicion on how we draft??? i still would prefer auto but if i am out voted its cool

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm looking for a couple more people to round out the teams. Our (soft) deadline for signups is Oct 8th (Saturday).

I need to hook up with jdmiser and get this organized, so please be patient, continue to post your questions or email them to fantasyhoops@pistonsforum.com in the meantime.

If you have friends that aren't going to be a source of pain for the moderators ;) please feel free to invite them to join up at the forum so they can get into the league.

11. MotownPride

How many heads do you need? I can get you at least 3 or 4 if you're interested. I have a fantasy league with alot of my Detroit friends who've migrated across the country and I've had it on my list for quite some time to introduce them to this great site. Just let me know how many you need to get this thing moving and I will make it happen.

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I say get as many as you like as long as they are new to fantasy bb and don't know what they are doing like me! :doh:

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think we need 2+. I'm trying to get an even number for 2 leagues not to exceed 12 men in each.

You can check the signup thread to see how many we currently have.