1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Fantasy Football: 2014

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by BillLaimbeer, Jul 15, 2014.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Mikhail prompted me to renew our Fantasy Football league. Invitations have been sent to last year's participants.

Fantasy football is fun. It's not very time-consuming. The participants in the league are savvy, competitive, but yet it is all good fun.

If you want to play this year, please respond. We only had 8 teams last year, so we could take on a couple of new members.

Also, some of the league settings from last year were not popular with all members. If you have suggestions for the roster positions and the league scoring, feel free to post your suggestions here, too. We will get those discussions going and settled well before the draft.

Let the games begin!!

2. BillLaimbeer

This year, Yahoo Sports Fantasy Football is offering some great features and enhancements.

Draft anytime, anywhere
    • Draft (or mock draft) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on your phone, tablet or PC.
    • Auction drafts now supported on Android and iOS.
    New stat categories
    Because you asked nicely. We have added carries and targets as non-scoring categories to allow you to research who to pick up in your league.
    Coming Soon! New scoring stat: First downs.

Award-winning app

One app to rule them all. Download our award-winning app and play Fantasy Football, Baseball, Basketball, and Hockey in a single app.

New pre-draft ranking tool

Say goodbye to the year 2000! Pre-draft ranking is easier than ever with our newly updated tool.

Conditional waivers

Now you can set priority for multiple waiver claims on the same player.

More coming soon!

Look for even bigger, exciting enhancements in the coming weeks!

3. BillLaimbeer

Last year, Drath Taters' Eagles took the crown by squeaking by Debt Team 162.98 to 159.08. Drath came out of the gate quickly winning his first 6 matchups and never looking back. Mossberg, despite a 5-8 record, made a nice late-season run to finish in 3rd place.

Interestingly enough, the order of finish from two years ago was: 1. Mossberg, 2. Debt team, 3. Drath's Eagles. The same 3 teams in the top 3 spots. Coincidence? Could it happen again in 2014? Can Drath defend his crown? These questions and more to be answered soon enough...

Darth Tater likes this.
  4. junior

junior Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Changes to consider making:

QB TD: 6 points --> 4 points

Reception: 1 point --> 0.5 points

Return yards: 50 yd / point --> 0 points

Return TD: 6 points --> 0 points

Having a 2QB league where TDs are much more plentiful for QBs, makes this position overpowered.

However, last season it seemed as though high reception RBs and WRs balanced this quarterbacks out.

--> A 2QB league made sense last year because we only had 8 teams. If we get 10 or 12 teams, it may not make as much sense.

Also, in playing Fantasy Football for this will be my eighth year this Fall, Return yards and Return TDs has never been a factor to the winning of any team.

It's just another thing to worry about that really doesn't matter. In the top 100 players last year, based on our league's scoring system, the most yards any player had returning was like 600 and nobody had more than 1 TD in the top 100. That's 12 points over the course of the season difference. Not even 1 point per week for including this in the scoring.

Unless return yards are valued more, in the current state I don't think they impact the league and are not necessary.

As to the 2QB/PPR format, even though I finished in last place last year, I still enjoyed it. Gave more impact to more players and allowed for guys like Andy Dalton or Tony Romo to matter, who in most leagues this size don't have an impact.

5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

this is what I'll be doing:
    1 qb
    1 wr
    1 rb
    1 te
    1 k
    4 wr, te, rb, k
    4 bn
    1 dl
    1 bn

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Ok, thanks Thee. Now we know what NOT to do.

I feel selfish taking the championship trophy again, but if you insist, ok I'm in. Most of you can't even win 2nd place because we already know that's Detteam's.

But third place is up for grabs if we only have 8 teams. So since Detteam and I are automatic 1st and 2nd and we also know Laimbeer and Thee won't get in the playoffs, that means the remaining 4 have a 25% chance of winning a shiny bronze trophy!

Offhand, I don't see any problems with the proposed settings changes. But after Detteam phones me and convinces me I SHOULD have a problem with some settings I will let you know.:ner-ner::lol:

My only requests are a live snake draft and if possible to know our draft positions prior to draft day. (Both like last year).

roscoe36 likes this.
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

:already-posted::blowhole-this::doordonot::skidmark:

:masterandcommander:

8. BillLaimbeer

I think that means TheeTFD is back for another season.

roscoe36 likes this.
  9. detteam

detteam All-Star

In. I'm good with leaving all settings the same as last season, except maybe cutting PPR to .5

Yahoo says the live draft is Aug 5. Will be the first draft I ever did wearing my Speedo

10. BillLaimbeer

If we get more managers, we will probably cut down to one quarterback. I will move the draft back so we can see 2-3 preseason games at least.

11. detteam

detteam All-Star

Finished 2nd in hockey last season, too. I am sooo tired of being the bridesmaid :nopompom:

roscoe36 likes this.
  12. Darth Tater

Well... You sure as hell don't act like it! :greenapple::boink::roflmao::banplease::wedgie::drum:

13. detteam

detteam All-Star

Thanks. I didn't realize there was a rimshot smilie.

btw...my fantasy woes didn't end with hockey last season. I was pretty much alone at the top of advanced basketball all season until Mo's buddy Tatered me in the semi final and I ended up 3rd.

3 fantasy teams so close to winning it all...all ending in dismal failure :hanged2:

All of you are really lucky I am still conversing on this forum

14. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

So blessed.

BillLaimbeer and detteam like this.
  15. Darth Tater

Even though you didn't take home any gold all the other metal proved you had some highly impressive seasons. Then again, the playoffs are always a crapshoot. I personally am more impressed with a strong showing after the long season ends. I know the playoffs are fun but I sometimes wish we didn't have them. You're always a very tough out. :cheers:

roscoe36 likes this.
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

get a room .... :cheeky-smiley-012:

17. junior

How cute.

18. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd be interested in playing again, though not really a fan of 2 QB. When I ran the league I thought the settings were good, but happy to try PPR and/or having a flex instead of 3 WR's if that's what you've been doing. Also don't mind doing away with return stats either.

roscoe36 likes this.
  19. Darth Tater

Awwww. Look who's talking (finally) . It's Junior Bezeach. And wading out into the "deep end" no less. Very nice to see you. I was just now complimenting Mr. Detteam on his accomplishments in the last three leagues all of us were in together. You wouldn't know this because you didn't stick around long enough in any to see the results.

Your recent medal history isn't too good in the last leagues all three of us joined together but IIRC

2012 football:
    Detteam- silver
    Darth-bronze
    Junior-missed the playoffs.

2013 football
    Darth-gold
    Detteam-silver
    Junior-missed the playoffs

2013 Hockey:
    Detteam silver
    Darth 4th place in the playoffs
    Junior- knocked out in the first round.

Well, there you have it. I realize that "how cute" was a mouthful for you but does that also translate to you planning to play in football this year? I sure hope so.

Cheers! :cheers: (Don't worry Dad. Thats grape juice in his mug). :yo:

20. junior

I appreciate your genuine concern in my Fantasy Sports performance. It's heartwarming.

I am bookmarking this post, as I have a feeling I will be quoting it come December.

Glad to hear you're doing well!

In the Fantasy leagues I have started at my university, we could use your veteran leadership in the locker room!

coynejeremy likes this.