Fantasy 08-09 Building Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by Superstarov, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I'd like to see game winning goals come back.

I think we could lump SHG and SHA into SHP. And the same with power play stuff too. It won't really change your stats much, but it'll give us less categories to win/lose.

I think we could possibly change from C, C, w, w, w, w to just 6 wingers. As long as we keep faceoff stats in the categories, people will still be encouraged to play/pick C's. But it'd give more flexibility on those nights when you don't have any C's playing, and you have to scratch a playing winger.

I would like to limit the number of roster moves. Is 40 too low?

I don't know if the commish tools will allow you to dictate that you carry a certain number of d-men. If everyone agrees to this, we could discipline with public humiliation for violators.

Since our league tends to be more scoring based, Darth and I had removed penalty minutes, but that's open for debate. To me, penalty minutes just don't seem like something to be proud of, because they ultimately put your team on the PK.

I'll try to keep an eye out here and keep track of what the concensus is.

Please add your thoughts.
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Good thread idea!
  3. Superstarov

Realistically, we can blow up the model here and start from scratch.

The more input we get the better.

Can anyone other than Tater or I say that they will for sure be in next season?

Aside from that the issues so far are:
    1. GWG
    2. Merge SHA & SHG to SHP. Do same with PPG & PPA.
    3. Removing C's from the line up and switching to 6 W's.
    4. Limit roster moves, and to what number.
    5. Number of d-men.
    6. PIM

I also don't like how the last match-up of the playoffs is 2 weeks long. But I don't know if you can change that. I think it's because the very last week of the season doesn't end on a Sunday.

One person will be the "Commish", but it's all of our league, so we might as well address any concerns.

Anyone know anything about "hold em" leagues? Never done one before. What happens if someone drops out? I'm proposing this, I've always kind of wondered how they work.
  4. Darth Tater

5. Superstarov

Thanks for those links, I'll check them out on my lunch hour tomorrow.

How's this solution:

Go with C,C,W,W,W,W,W,W,D,D,D,D,G,G,.

Increase the roster size, so that you have more players on your team, and then bump the max moves up to 50 or 60 to allow for the extra players. That way you may be more willing to hold onto a player that is struggling, or a young player that has potential.

That way we could mandate 4 d-men and you can still get plenty of stats from forwards. I like keeping the d-men simply because they do contribute something, and it makes good ones more valuable.
  6. Darth Tater

Works for me, but that's a lot of wingers. I would suggest adding a C slot and subtracting a wing. Or also adding another Center with the wings. If we do this, though, we need to keep the league at ten teams max, most likely.

I also think 10 extra moves (rather than 20) is enough for the two extra positions because proportionately, people were talking about giving 40 or 45 for 12 players which is around 3.5 per player).
  7. Superstarov

Yeah, I agree, 10 teams max. 8 would even be fine if interest is low.

The W can be a C. I mean you can put a C in a W spot, it just doesn't work the other way around.
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Really????
  9. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I second that.

REALLY???? I had no idea you could do that????
  10. jammertime

I'm in for sure next season. I would LOVE to try a keeper league. I've never been in one and would love to give it a shot.

My thoughts on the topics:
    1. GWG - I have no problem bringing this one back.

2. Merge SHA & SHG to SHP. Do same with PPG & PPA. - I'd be fine with this, but I'm also fine with them split up as they are now.

3. Removing C's from the line up and switching to 6 W's. - I'd rather keep the 2 C positions and change the RW and LW to 4 W and add a forward spot or two. That gives maximum flexibility IMO. I wouldn't want to add additional forward spots though. That would put too much emphasis on forwards and make D-men even more of a liability.

4. Limit roster moves, and to what number - My position on this subject is well documented and we've pretty much already agreed to a roster limit for next season. Anywhere from 25-55 would be fine with me. I think 40 would be a fair #.

5. Number of d-men - Four was ok, but going down to 3 would provide greater depth of free agent d-men. I'm against forcing teams to have D-men though. I think thats all part of the strategy. Just like I wouldn't force a team to have a goalie. If someone wants to go goalieless, that's fine with me.

6. PIM - I HATE this stat. I would not want to see it added. It is completely contrary to every other stat in the game.

Other stuff:
    I'd also like to see the roster size increased by 2 (ish) and the rosters locked at the start of the playoffs. Dance with the ones that brought you. Adding a few roster spots would help to offset any injuries during the playoffs.

There was something else I wanted to add, but I can't remember now....
  11. Darth Tater

Well, if Jammer didn't write this I would say it made sense. I need to reread it.
  12. Superstarov

I don't know actually, now that I'm thinking about that. Maybe I'm talking out of my...

Maybe it's forward or something, not W. I'll have to check into it.
  13. Superstarov

Again, I may have been totally telling stories here. It seems to me that there was a way to do something like this, but now I'm questioning myself. I think I mispoke when I said W, I think I was thinking Forward. I think there is a way to do that.
  14. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'll probably be in again next year. It's SOOOOOO much fun.

I'd like to drop SHA and SHG. They're too much of a crap shoot. Pure luck.
    PPA and PPG are good as some players are better at these and they play the PP more often. People with Statwacker have an advantage in finding those guys. :) (I've never used statwacker).

A limit of 40 moves is O.K. as long as we freeze the rosters come playoffs.

We need centers for faceoffs. There are very, very few wingers who are good at faceoffs. Zetterberg and Iginla come to mind. The teams who have those guys are at a major advantage over everone else!

It would be nice to use extra centers in the winger postions, but not vice versa. The extra centers whould help with FWs, for those who don't have BrindA'mour and the like. That would make the draft less crucial for those of us with poor memories.

I would like to make the number of defensemen a requirement. I don't care if its, 2,3,or4.
    Just so everyone is playing with the same deck. They're not a lot of really top notch defensemen, so limiting the number to two would limit someone from stockpiling all the good ones.

Maybe I'm limiting what some of you experts can do, but it would tend to equalize the teams, and make it more fun for everyone.
  15. Darth Tater

If you equalize things and make it pretty much a crapshoot based on a good draft, I guess it will be more fun for those who don't put much effort into their teams. I personally admire and congratulate (and DID congratulate) Bezeach and Bill for the hard work they put into their teams on a daily basis this season. I'd rather base it on what is done daily than on whether or not I get a good draft spot.

LOL Woody. Statwacker" doesn't help you find guys who are good on the power play. It's simply the guys who play shorthanded to kill the penalties. Again, that takes doing your homework.

If we had a few more interested people, we could do an advanced & Novice hockey league. But we don't so we need to find something we can all live with and enjoy.

Again, I'll give my input, but I will be there no matter what. The rules don't matter. I will find a way...
  16. Darth Tater

Just make it a weekly lineup thing. That way those who choose to improve their team can tinker with their lineup, but can't make daily adjustments, and therefore cannot stream to get extra players.
  17. jammertime

The only problem with that is the injury factor. There are a lot more injuries in hockey than there are in baseball (except on your team Tater :stirthepot:).
  18. Darth Tater

Oh, that's just mean. Nevertheless true, though! :pound:

Well, I brought up that very fact myself a couple weeks ago (the injury factor), but you know man...I'm just at that point...:shout:
  19. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Count me in. I agree it was much fun.
    Nay for the PIM
    Fine with merging SHG and SHA
    I like an idea of having 3 centers
    40-45 moves should be plenty enough
    GWG - lets bring those if the majority agrees
    defenceman - I don't particularly care one way or another
  20. Superstarov