Expectations and acquisitions

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by J-Train, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

None of the young guys, Singler/JJ/Daye/Middleton/English is starter caliber player in a contender. They are all tradeable assets. We have a pile of serviceable young players with attractive contracts, draft picks and expiring contracts. Exactly the type of assets that teams who are looking to unload their big contracts (read:stud players) when they decide to hit the reset button.
  2. Brap

Brap Starter

I think you can make a case that each of those 5 guys is now, or will be, a potential starting caliber player on a great team. It seems much too early to say what their ceiling's are.

Even with Daye - I love this guys talent. I don't know if he has the heart and ethic to be great and sustain greatness.
  3. Walter

JJ's ceiling is 6th man of the year/reliable 20+ minute sub for championship level team.

Daye's ceiling is BoT.

It's too early to say anything about Singler/MIddleton/English. But, they were all second round picks. The best case scenario for them are reaching JJ territory.

I really like JJ, Singler and English. Don't have an opinion on Middleton. Disappointed in Daye. But all of these guys are tradeable and replaceable assets.
    S.J. likes this.
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Welcome back Brap. You have not lost your optimistic fastball.
  5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I agree.
    What encourages me is JJ, Sing & Ken English haven't yet squashed all hope that they'll improve and get a lot better. They all could be starter-calibur when all is said and done.

My hope IS indeed squashed regarding Austin Daye. I'd be surprised if he's in the league after his current contract expires.
  6. Brap

Brap Starter

It's going to be an incredibly interesting season. As for all the young players on the team (aside from Knight, Stuckey, Monroe - who are clearly fixtures and who will get tons of PT), we have room for the following to emerge: 2 centers, 1 backup SF (two SF's if Tay is moved along), 1 or 2 PF types (depending on if our 2 new young guys break into the rotation and start to dominate PT at C, and 2 guards.

Since we have 3 - 5 possible backup SF's, the two rookies at C, 4 possible PF's aside from Monroe, and just two reserve guards at the present time, I think it's predictable that we'll have several guys on the team who get little to no shot to play regular minutes this season. It's possible that won't happen because the guys who don't play aren't any good - we might simply be deep.

That's a nice problem to have - and I hope we have that problem. But if we do, there'll be a lot of active discussion here about who should play, who should "never play again" and who should be traded.

Next season, we'll likely have another #1 pick and possibly also a free agent, and there'll be just as much confusion - and tons of arguments/discussions from us fans.

I think it's going to be a lot of fun over the next few seasons as this team develops. We have a ton of talent to sift through and develop.
    Mogilny likes this.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

I think it will be a miracle if Drummond and the Russian Guy can combine to stay on the court for 40 minutes a night. I picture a lot of fouls out of these 2. Drummond because he's so young and the Russian Guy because he's going to get the white whistle where they call a foul on him for stepping on the court.
    linwood likes this.
  8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'm interested in the "Knight Effect." You could tell this kid was special in terms of competative fire, growth and obsessiveness. At points in the season others seem to feed off this. This has to become consistent: teammates feeding off his drive and passion. He started way behind Kyrie in the skills department but his rate of growth going into the SL has been impressive and I think he may surpass him in a few years; if not as a point guard then as a winner.

The team psyche is markedly different from the Curry and Q years. I'd go as far as saying its rather unique. As I said before, it'll be interesting to see if cohesion/ chemistry can bridge the skills gap on a team largely made up of late 1sts and 2nd rounders.
  9. Brap

Brap Starter

Irving getting this much acclaim - and deservedly so, he was extraordinary last season - will, I think, be great for Knight. Knight is as competitive as they get. He's also super talented - as physically gifted as Irving, probably more so - and nobody is smarter than or works harder than Brandon.

I predict Knight will use his perceived lower ranking as big-time motivation. i would not be surprised if Knight doesn't catch or even eclipse Irving within the next few seasons.

BTW, the evidence so far is that Knight is way less injury prone than Irving. Watch this factor in the future.
  10. Walter

Irving/Knight situation reminds me a lot about the CP3/D-Will situation.
  11. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I'm agree with you Walter.

I have no hope on Daye at all.
  12. detteam

detteam All-Star

Terrence Williams and Jonny Flynn have officially been added to the training camp roster
  13. BallDon'tLie

What.
    ...no Jake Voskuhl this year???
    [​IMG]
  14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The last 20-30 minutes of Detroit Pistons practice today were open to the media. Greg Monroe, Andre Drummond, Khris Middleton and Austin Daye were among the standouts.
    Here are some highlights:
    ’DRE’S DAY: Drummond, the rookie behemoth from UConn, had a very good stretch. Right at the beginning of the media portion, he took a feed off a pick-and-roll and delivered a one-handed jam. A few possessions later, he caught an alley-oop pass from Terrence Williams and softly scored the lay-up in midair. But probably his most impressive feat was when he easily used his left hand to slap away an up-and-under move by Monroe.
    RARE ABILITY: It’s not often you see 6-foot-11 frontcourt players with the ability to advance the ball with the dribble, but Monroe once again displayed his comfort level. He got a pass near midcourt, dribbled through traffic and was able to hit a lay-up and draw a foul for a three-point play. That ability could be a major weapon for Monroe, entering his third season.
    SIMPLY SMOOTH: Middleton, a second-round pick from Texas A&M, was a scoring machine. First, he beat fellow rookie Kim English for a reverse lay-up. He then hit a running, one-handed floater, drawing a foul. He ended the run with a triple from the corner.
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

I think it was the DetNews this AM that had a nice blurb on Middleton. He sounded nice.
  16. BallDon'tLie

...Who's this "Kim" English guy?
  17. BallDon'tLie

...Who's this "Kim" English guy?