Expectations and acquisitions

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by J-Train, Jan 19, 2012.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

What use would Ben Gordon have been to the '12/'13 Pistons?
    That CONDITIONAL 1st rounder was a microscopic price to pay to get rid of one of the worst contracts in the NBA.

If all goes well, Joe can make a trade for a 1st rounder to make up for the one that they had to send the Bobcraps.

The Panda likes this.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree. Getting rid of Gordon was a necessary step in this rebuilding process just like releasing Rip Hamilton last year. Who cares if we could have won 3 or 4 more games with a certain volume shooter on our roster. We aren't going anywhere right now. Getting the youngsters real experience is the key at this stage.

3. max

max All-Star

If it was at the beginning of the contract then I would agree. We sat through 3 years of it and only had 2 years left but also took on a totally useless contract for 1 year back. So we are only saving 1 year for essentially an unrestricted ist round draft pick. If things do not go well with Knight/Drummond we could be giving up a top 5 pick for nothing in a couple of years. At least he should have put more restrictions on it like making it totally lottery protected - I think that would have been fair.

And we are short one backup shooting guard at this time. At least Gordon would have played, Maggette will just sit there or take the place of one of the rookies.

4. BillLaimbeer

The pick is lottery-protected in 2013, top-8 protected in 2014, top-1 protected in 2015 and unprotected in 2016.

5. max

max All-Star

It should have been lottery protected in all years.

6. BillLaimbeer

It's much better than what you thought it was, though. :)

You can't have a pick that is protected EVERY year, by the way. You eventually have to give it up.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe a rookie GM would fall for it. Worth a try.

roscoe36 likes this.
  8. BallDon'tLie

The pick is lottery protected next year.
    If the Pistons are STILL in the lottery after next season then we'll all likely be listening to Piston games on our car radios in our garages with engines running & garage doors closed!

The time to trade Gordon was now (actually yesterday).
    Ben Gordon's untradeable contract was crippling the franchise. Joe found a way to trade that untradable contract and I strongly feel that he did the right thing. Yeah, nobody wants to give up a 1st rounder but Joe's timing is actually right for a change. In 2013, the Pistons will once again be a lottery team. They'll add a top-14 pick to our emerging roster of young ballers.
    ...In 2014? -Detroit will be firmly IN the playoffs. The Bobcats will still be sucking and still be trying to convince some team that Ben Gordon's expiring deal is worth trading for.

This deal essentially reduced the Pistons' Jail Sentence by 50%.
    With Gordon now out of the picture, Joe no longer has to pay the "opportunity cost" of having to miss out on potential deals because of Bengo getting in the way. Maggette's deal is infinately more tradeable as soon as he becomes trade-eligable. He's still got game, plays multiple postions and comes off of your books at the end of THIS year. He can help a playoff team get over the hump or a non-playoff team get under the cap.

There's a reason that Gordon went to the Charlotte Bobcats of all places.
    If you look at their track record of stupidity when it comes to drafting and trading ...well, there's your reason.

Joe actually has some tradable assets to deal with now. He can easily turn Tay Prince, Maggette's expiring deal, Austin Daye & Filler, JMax & Filler or some combination of 5 or 6 of the extra SFs that we have into another 1st round pick to make up for the one that he had to send Charlotte.

J-Train likes this.
  9. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

It's pretty bad to wake up to BDL trying to convince me us that having Maggette on the roster is a good thing. Nice post....Btw

10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The money spent on Ben Gordon's contract in past years is a sunk cost. We need to put that out of our mind when evaluating whether it was a good trade or not. I personally never had anything against the guy, but he was getting zotted pretty heavy by the gloom beam towards the end of last season. He symbolized a lot of franchise baggage. Even though he wasn't here with AI, he was part of the SG logjam saga that began when we traded for AI. It was a breath of fresh air when he left. That and he seemed to be a horrible fit here and was way underplaying his contract with no change in sight.

11. max

max All-Star

Nice post but in 2014 BG is done - off the books. Whats going to happen is Charlotte will claim our pick once BG is gone and forgotten from both teams.

12. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Even if the ball clanks off the rim all game long, I won't miss Gordon one bit. I realize that guy needed a facilitator and we didn't have one but dribbling off his foot, stepping out of bounds, or passing to Ben with 2 on the clock is inexcusable for a player of his experience. I would have said: of his calibre but he did it all season long so I have to assume that's his game.

People are discounting CV, Daye and maggette but that's where your extra offense is going to come from.
    I'm going to stop hating on CV until he plays. He's put in some work this offseason, he's a piston. Our best case scenario is that he performs not that he gets shipped out for a large popcorn and diet coke.

The Panda likes this.
  13. BallDon'tLie

Regarding Bengo's contract, ...I think that we're both trying to say the same thing.

Joe can actually begin shopping Maggette this season. He has actually some market value. He has an expiring contract and actually led his "team" (cough cough) in scoring last year. It's not inconceivable that Joe could trade Maggette at the deadline for an upperhand package that includes a future 1st round pick similar to the one that he had to send Charlotte.

The B-cats are absolutely stuck with BenGo until 2014. Unless he regains the scoring ability that he displayed in Chicago, they're going to have a tough time trading the dude at the 2014 deadline.
    ...By then, the mid-1st round pick that the Pistons sacrificed to get rid of him will be have much less meaning. The Pistons will have yet another lotto player (2013) to add to the group and enough cap space to actually build a competitive roster.

Signing Ben Gordon in the first place was a horrible move by Joe.
    Trading Ben Gordon and a 1st round pick in the high teens or early twentys for an expiring contract was as good of a "recovery" that we could have hoped for as Pistons fans. Gordon's deal was that bad.

14. BallDon'tLie

Having Corey Maggette isn't a "good thing".
    ...It's merely a good alternative to having Ben Gordon and perhaps the most un-tradeble contract in the entire league.

15. BillLaimbeer

This is some great stuff right here. You won't see writing like this at the 2nd-rate forums:

"getting zotted pretty heavy by the gloom beam"

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  16. BallDon'tLie

That's some pro level PROSE right there dawg!

coynejeremy likes this.
  17. max

max All-Star

If he turns Magette into something then the BG trade would make a lot more sense.

If BG was making like 4-5 mil/yr then I would have been perfectly happy with him as a Piston. He had a good attititude and besides being a terrible defender was nice to have off the bench.

18. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

You're right.........just hard to read when you just wake up...........

19. BallDon'tLie

I agree with you regarding Ben Gordon being a "pro" during his tenure in Detroit. He was put in a horrible situation and he never acted like a jerk. Props to him for that.

I think that most would have been happy with him making 1/3 of what he was being paid. Either that, or we would have been happy if he would have been averaging 25 ppg with 4 assists an 1.5 steals.

20. max

max All-Star

I knew what it was and I think it sucks. My opinion is that we got a raw deal and we may be very upset one day when we have to fork it over. You can protect it every year, the Darko trade was for a lottery protected pick when we used it on Stuckey at 15