Evan turner for our CV and Stuckey?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mark V, Nov 16, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This is not necessarily true.
  2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Gettings something valuable for CV & Stuckey's contracts may not be that far-fetched of an idea. Someone who does that would be going after the FA market, which features:

- Tony Parker
    - Kyle Lowry
    - Dwyane Wade
    - Luol Deng
    - LeBron James
    - Khris Middleton
    - Carmelo Anthony
    - Zach Randolph
    - Chris Bosh

The point is, would we want to be a player in that FA market ourselves instead?
    roscoe36 and BallDon'tLie like this.
  3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'd hate to be the GM that has to try and chose between LeBron or Middleton.
    ...tough call right there.
    kpaav and roscoe36 like this.
  4. BallDon'tLie

An example of a possible situation:
    Lets just say that Danillo Gallinari comes back strong from his injury but the Nuggets keep fading further and further out of the playoffs.
    I could totally see Denver do a Gallinari for Villanueva deal that would allow them access $10 mil in cap space 2 full years earlier while doing some ping-pong positioning for the '14 draft.

Denver has like 9 SFs and a new GM that probably wants to start adding some of "his guys" to his roster.
  5. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Right... to his team, he has negative value because he has a longer-term cap number that does not match with his production. His contract's interference with their ability to make moves they feel they could otherwise make exceeds the value that his talent brings them on the court, which makes him a negative asset. If it didn't, they would work to keep him.

With CV and Stuckey, you have bloated contracts for players that are not worth what they are being paid, so the ONLY reason that anyone is interested in those contracts are because they figure that they can use that $17 million or so next year to get a player of that caliber. My personal feeling is that Detroit could just as well do the same thing - why take someone else's throwaway garbage to marginally improve your team when you can wait just a few months and go after the same thing the other team wants to go after?
    linwood likes this.
  6. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

I can't see that. Gallinari is actually a player you would want to keep around while retooling.

We might be able to swing for Gerald Wallace and a pick.
  7. BallDon'tLie

Not really.
    It's about finding a team with different objectives than the Pistons curretly have.

Detroit is on the way up and could use a solid player at the three-spot.
    Another team on the way down is likely looking for the added flexability of an expiring contract so that they can expedite a rebuild.
    I was just using Denver and Gallinari as a hypothetical example.

After what we've been through over the last 5 years, I'd never suggest that Joe should go out and take on a bad contract.
    Situations dictate value. Find a team with the right situation and capitalize on their desire to sell low.

For about 27 of the 30 NBA teams, It's usually much easier to trade for a player than it is to go out and sign one via free agency.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  8. BallDon'tLie

I've heard murmurs of frustration about his injury issues.
    [This is the spot where someone mentions Arnie Kander and how the magical healing properties of banana peels can transform {insert players name here}.]
  9. Walter

Either way you're a contender.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

We haven't seen Lebron play much in the final minutes of a blowout win. Without seeing this, you can't be sure how complete a player he really is. But we know Middleton has shown a real bit of talent there...
  11. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Why are we talking about bringing in another top tier three when we just paid a bazillion (not really, fair contract) for Josh Smith? Are we already shipping GM out of town and moving JS to the 4?
  12. Walter

Yes, to make room for LeBron.
  13. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

this goes back to Darth's campaign of character assassination (is that really the right word for trying to destroy someone's reputation? I looked up the translation online)! I have never made a ridiculous trade proposal in my entire fantasy basketball life!
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    Walter, linwood and roscoe36 like this.