European Basketball Championship 2005

Discussion in 'Pistons Archive' started by roscoe36, Sep 12, 2005.

1. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Euro Basketball

I know about the Freep. I have not read that rag, and have not listened to Albom since he used trash Doug Flutie unmercifully. And for no good reason. If I had not had access to my own intelligence and other outside sources, I would never have believed that Doug could ever turn out to be one of the most exciting football players to ever play the game.

They have absolutely no credibility with me.
  2. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Ya that sucks but it sounded as if the team was kinda selfish.But maybe a couple of games to get him going before training camp would be very nice.
  3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Darko the pacifist! :)

ha..ha..ha..ha.. :laugh:
  4. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

So many things, so little time.
    First, Freep takes out of context the only negative thing that Draftexpress says about Darko. Draftexpress was harsh as heck on Darko during the summer league, and now they say some really positive things. Makes me think they report it like they see it, and Darko really has improved.

Second, Darko had to deal with Serbia being bombed by us, then some crazy coach in Serbia, then LB, then that cluster F... going on with the Eurogames, wonder how he responds to Cool hand Flip coaching him.

And last, would have loved watching our Olympic squad doing a Battle Royale after one of their losses, and LB and half the squad quitting.

PS, who's excited bout watching DMC earn some minutes next year?
  5. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

You'll notice that today's Freep has tried to do a little damage control--even though there's still a snarky tone and the idiot writer couldn't be bothered to spell Krstic's name right. Sounds like she unconsciously inserted her own.

http://www.freep.com/sports/pistons/pistons22e_20050922.htm
  6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

After watching France blow by Lithuania, you can't help but notice NBA type athletes on that team. It's as close as we have seen to a team trained for they FIBA game AND bringing real quickness to the Euro games.

We should see guys like Jasikevicius being exposed in our league (he didn't play today).
    I'm NOT impressed with the overall quickness of the Euro game.

Do we think Darko will get in position to get all those offensive rebounds (where most of his scoring came from)?... I was hoping to see him score more from shooting and post moves.... but I guess any contribution should be viewed as a positive at this stage.
    A couple more weeks and we'll see him matched up against some quality bigs.
    Sorry if this didn't fall in line with all the Super Darko posts.
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Post game comments

Comments from the Serbian coach's post game and Darko:

Coach Obradovic at his post game press conf. said he's gutted with the so-called superstars ,but he didn't mention names.He just said that he wasn't going to be a police man 7/24 checking up on them if they are in bed at right time.Because apparently some of the players(he said 6 of them,but didn't mention names)instead of of going to bed on time,were noticed partying till 5am in the morming.He didn't mention how many times it happened,but he did say that at practice some of the players couldn't even remember basic plays(again he didn't mention names).

One newspaper asked Darko after the coaches outburst, if he knew who were the guys having fights & arguments.And Darko answered he doesn't know & doesn't care because he never had any problem with the coach or the players.Another question they asked him was if he was going to play for his national team again if invited,his answer was "If there is a god".
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

9. ika

ika Second Round Draft Pick

I followed you guys on detnews during the Euro champs, looking for clips of Darko. Not a bad site you got here.

Anyways, just to clarify what Darko said. He said 'if God gives' , which is something like 'if God allows'. The way you translated it makes it sound like he is being cocky, like, 'if there is justice, I will get to play'.

But, again, this 'if God gives' should not be understood like he is being humble either. It is just a Serbian expression which means - if everything goes as I hope, or something like that.

Btw, France was considered a poor team, even during the tournament, let alone in the practice tournaments. SCG beat them almost 30 points in practice, and in the game we lost to them, we were leading by 14, 9 at the half, and they only took the lead with 4 minutes to go. And still Jaric and Zelly missed two free throws each in the very last seconds which could have tied it...I would expect a team like Croatia, for example, to destroy France, they played much better than us and were robbed by the refs against Spanish.

SCG basically defeated itself.

Basically, all the outsiders did well in this tounament. Greece - champions, Germany, France...

The favorites completely dissapointed.

But I have to say that the best European team is Lithuania. They had 7, read this SEVEN players missing from the team. If the full team played, Jasikevicius, Macijauskas, Ilgauskas, Songaila, France does not have a chance.

I would say that individually we are the strongest but as a team that does not mean much. Lithuania is still the best team.

I expect Jasikevicius to do well in the NBA. He played great against Americans in 2000 and in 20004. If we only had a playmaker like him...
  10. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

Darko

Great to get this guy some action, after two years of inactivity. This years championships had more of court action than on court. Guys crying I'm not paying anymore for that team:frusty: But we saw Darko get some play and it was a good sign that he will be a playa in the future.:mad2:
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

No more games?

I thought that Serbia was going to play some consolation games for the wildcard spot. Why did all those players quit the team if there were no more games to be played?
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

why did they quit?

Cause they couldn't stand each other. They needed to fist fight each other. The coach had to be a dork to let this fester. What was that all about?
  13. roscoe36

14. roscoe36

One more contribution from BDM22/FreshPrince22

*removed*