European Basketball Championship 2005

Discussion in 'Pistons Archive' started by roscoe36, Sep 12, 2005.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Weak sauce

I'm glad he's doing something, but you gotta admit that he blocked the shot at about the bottom of the net. Not good enough to break out the flex. Still, good to see that he's into it emotionally.

2. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

But...

It was a one armed flex though...not the customary two handed one that Ben usually does. Once he does one of Ben's customary above-the-rim-send-the-ball-back-to-the-player's-face kind of blocks then he should bust out the two armed flex.

BTW: Love Darko's enthusiasm.

3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Darko seems to be skinnier than I've expected him to be. Nice block though

4. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I don't care in the least about the altitude of the block. Like most rebounds, most blocks are below the rim ... and all goaltending calls are above it.

What's important is that most big men who run out to challenge a smaller shooter are DONE. They can't move their feet well enough to suddenly change their balance and slide laterally with the drive. Instead they grab and get called for fouls. So you're looking at freaky agility for a guy 7 feet tall, plus Darko was fundamentally sound and avoided using his hands on the guy while edging him into a bad angle under the basket.

He can move, he can be coached. I'll take it.

5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

LanierFan you hit the nail on the head. The block was OK, it was good to see, but it was not spectacular, nor was it evidence of any type of superior athletecism. That said, Darko rotating out to a smaller player and moving his feet and not getting beat was a demonstration of athletecism. The footwork was the most impressive thing to me on the clip. Agile big men is the secret to why our interior defense is so good. Ben and Rasheed are agile and interchangeable (most of the time), when we get caught in rotations and switches often Ben and Rasheed have to cover for one another, for most players it's not a breath of fresh air to finally shed Ben on a switch and end up with Rasheed and the same could be said vice-versa. Darko has that ability to become one of these card carrying members of the Tall, athletic, strong, agile, interior defenders club. C'mon young fella, I'm rooting for ya.

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Draft Express finally giving the kid some luv:

"One of the more intriguing early signs coming out of this Eurobasket tournament so far is the apparent rejuvenation of the #2 pick in the 2003 draft, Darko Milicic. After two listless seasons seeing little to no playing time in Detroit's stacked rotation, Darko is beginning to show signs of coming around this summer with his national team by displaying a high level of performance and energy, while, most importantly, being a difference maker for his team in his time out on the floor.

While he's had to scrap and earn every minute he's gotten so far, and even though his teammates still don't appear to trust him enough to actually pass him the ball unless he is really wide open, Darko has found a way to make his presence felt repeatedly for Serbia and Montenegro and show some of the awesome athletic ability and upside that made him the #2 pick to begin with.

Darko has been coming off the bench so far backing up, and often outplaying, New Jersey Nets Center Nenad Krstic. His biggest contributions for his team have been felt mostly on the defensive end and on the glass, where he's been using his mobility and explostiveness to block and alter countless shots around the rim and come up with many momentum changing rebounds on both ends that have been extremely influential for the Serbians in key parts of the games".

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Awwwwww man...please stop with the good news!!! My hopes are getting way too high again.

Too late. ***sigh***:ohwell:

8. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Dang...

Mannnnnn, I Can't Wait For The Preseason To Start!

9. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

Darko

It is good to see Darko showinig his talent, he will be a playa in this league and I'm worried it might not be with the Pistons:mad:

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

He's ours for a minimum of 3 more years unless JD decides he is not worth keeping around and makes a trade or doesn't tender a qualifying offer/match an offer sheet. No need to get paranoid that far into the future. It will be what it will be.

The sad thing is that DMC has not hit the court yet today. He must have really ticked off the coach last game with that previously mentioned "ill advised" shot.

It's 49-44 Serbia halfway through the 3rd and still no DMC appearance as far as I can tell.

11. Darth Tater

Silly Micro...

Darko? Tick off a coach? Nahhhhhhhhh. Not our Darko. Never ever ever. Not in a million years! Just wouldn't happen. Nope. No sireeee Bob.
    Not Darko. That will be the day that we see :flypig: before we hear about Darko getting on the wrong side of the coach.

Seriously though, that really stinks. It just figures. :frusty:

12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Serbia eliminated 74-71. Darko played 9 seconds.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

ESPN's Darko grading

Darko Milicic, Serbia Montenegro
    Stats:
    6.0 ppg, 5.0 rpg
    The skinny: The Detroit Pistons backup center is having more of an impact than was expected of him. He isn't too concerned with getting his share of shots. His performance against Israel -- 11 points, seven rebounds and three blocks in 15 minutes -- should be shown to Flip Saunders (and Larry Brown) so that he knows what he has on his bench.
    Grade: B+

(Not sure if anyone posted this already).

14. Darth Tater

I have a funny feeling Darko's EBC stats won't escape Flip's notice. ;) Nor Joe's for that matter.

15. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Hummmmm

Is the young man beginning to show signs of Piston DNA. I'm liking this defense first attitude. The best thing about the block was Darko went after the guy with the intention to swat that shot.

16. Caliban

Caliban First Round Draft Pick

Darko Observed

Got this from Draft Express:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jonathan Givony

One of the more intriguing early signs coming out of this Eurobasket tournament so far is the apparent rejuvenation of the #2 pick in the 2003 draft, Darko Milicic. After two listless seasons seeing little to no playing time in Detroit's stacked rotation, Darko is beginning to show signs of coming around this summer with his national team by displaying a high level of performance and energy, while, most importantly, being a difference maker for his team in his time out on the floor.

While he's had to scrap and earn every minute he's gotten so far, and even though his teammates still don't appear to trust him enough to actually pass him the ball unless he is really wide open, Darko has found a way to make his presence felt repeatedly for Serbia and Montenegro and show some of the awesome athletic ability and upside that made him the #2 pick to begin with.

Darko has been coming off the bench so far backing up, and often outplaying, New Jersey Nets Center Nenad Krstic. His biggest contributions for his team have been felt mostly on the defensive end and on the glass, where he's been using his mobility and explosiveness to block and alter countless shots around the rim and come up with many momentum changing rebounds on both ends that have been extremely influential for the Serbians in key parts of the games.

Against Israel in the 2nd game, Milicic came off the bench in the 4th quarter with the result of the game still up in the air and sparked a 20-0 run that put the game out of hand for the Israelis. Darko's energy on both ends of the floor were clearly the difference for his team, finishing the game with 11 points, 7 rebounds and 3 blocks in only 14 minutes of action. He finished well around the hoop, knocked down a jumper and got to the line repeatedly.

The best sign for Detroit, beyond his newfound aggressiveness and urgency, has to be Darko's willingness to mix things up inside and do the little things to endear himself to his team. Whether it’s by setting solid picks, demanding the ball around the basket rather than on the perimeter, moving off the ball and using his height and passing ability to find the open man, Darko has been extremely active and energetic in everything he’s trying to do.

He's struggling a bit in the set offense when it comes to placing himself, but this time it’s not because of a lack of effort. His positioning is not the best, and he doesn't seem too confident at times about knowing what to do and how to move, particularly against zone defenses.
    [/FONT]

17. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

The Detroit Free Press finally got off its butt and wrote a story, once they had something negative. As for the "inconsistent" tag they put on Darko's play? It's a better description of their own lazy coverage. They couldn't even call one of their team contacts for a quote, preferring to fall back on the Draft Express writeup.

http://www.freep.com/sports/pistons/darko21e_20050921.htm

18. birdman

birdman Second Round Draft Pick

Yeah i noticed that about the Free Press.Why do they only report b.s about Darko?.Why don't they show the whole stats.Darko only averaged 10 min per game & was 2nd leading rebounder & leading shotblocker on team.Why they always dawg the guy.In my opinion Darko played the best out of all serb big men.Zelly & especially Krstic sucked.I think these free press reporters have a job in talking b.s about Darko cause maybe they want him traded.:mad:

19. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I'm with you. Whose butt does Krstic kiss, anyway? He had about three or four really solid games throughout the friendlies and Eurobasket, but he gets all of the playing time and hardly any of the criticism. If he is such a good team guy, why doesn't he do more of the dirty work with defense and rebounding?

20. birdman

birdman Second Round Draft Pick

Answer=because Krstic although talented on offense is slow footed and ca't recover back on deffense like Darko.Even Zelly suprisingly sucked on deffense in the euro's.I really don't have the answer why Darko wasn't played in the elimination game,although the coach cussed out few players in post game conference,but didn't mention names.Didn't larry brown say something simmilar about 2004 usa olympic team?.