[ESPN] Ben to Bulls

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jul 3, 2006.

1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I think he really hated Flip. I don't think he feels he has a better chance to win in Chicago. No way. Also, Skiles is probably a coach more in the Ben mold. Skiles is tough as nails and I'm sure Ben likes that. Flip is as tough as Play Doh.

Let's face it, Chicago overpaid to get Ben. It would have been nice if Detroit had offered a little more because I don't think they were willing to budge on the $49.6 million offer at all. $60 million over four years is too much. If Detroit had paid that, I would have questioned it. I wish they had come back at $53 or $54 million and seen what happened. Oh well, water under the bridge.

2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I don't know about that ggazoo. I really don't think his beef with Flip was personal. I think he really just didn't believe in Flip's coaching. From his interview it sounded like he didn't think the coaches did anything to help him get better. Frankly, I don't blame him. I subscribe to the Flip Sucks newsletter as well. And I would argue that in a system that emphasizes defense, that IS Ben's best shot at making a difference and winning.

I agree my friend. The amount is debateable. It all depends on how committed the franchise was to winning NOW. Personally, I don't think a 4 year investment in Ben is a bad one. Pay the extra luxury tax dollars (Bill has money), try to win another championship and move on. Definitely odd that they didn't even attempt to counter. Sounds to me like they really underappreciated Ben's value and he went to the team that didn't. I'm not mad at em'.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

We won't be able to ascertain the true value of Ben until the end of next season. How the Bulls do, how the Pistons make out.

I am sure many people will be crying along the way when we stumble here and there. But that is just knee-jerking.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Garnett is making about $22M next year. Assuming the Bulls would have to include Chandler in the trade, who else could they package to make it work? Gordon and Nocioni?

Chandler/ BG/ and Noc would be a lot to give up. They'd be left with Hinrich/Deng/Thomas/Ben/KG. Still a pretty sinister starting 5.

5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I'll be trembling when we face the Bulls if they get KG.

6. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

The Pistons did up there offer from $49.6 to $52 million according to the Detroit Free Press. It was not enough for Ben. Also they report that Ben started the negotiations wanting 20 million a season. That is insane.

7. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

wow, Ben has loss his mind! lmao!

8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

if he wanted 20mill a season then he never wanted to comeback to Detroit as he knew Davison would never pay that...in fact who would:doh:

This puts a nasty taste in my mouth about Ben. IMHO he is on the decline and the only way he would deserve the $60 mill is if he had 3 rings from the last three seasons.:P

9. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I read in the ESPN post that it was Chandler, Gordon, and the kid the Bulls drafted for KG. Frankly I'd love to see Ben and KG playing together. Add in Nocioni and that's a pretty impressive front line. Rather see Ben in Pistons blue, but...

Sounds like it was $10,000,000 difference in offers that got Ben to Chicago. It's pretty easy for those of us who don't see ten million dollar paydays very often to get lost in all the zeros. But, ten mil is pretty much like real money. That comes out to an extra $30,000 every time the Bulls play a regular season game for Ben. I'm finding it pretty hard to get mad at Ben for getting and taking the best deal he could. I'm not sure you have to look very much further than that to understand it.

10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Heard this from an associate of Ben on WXYT.com 1170 today and I tend to believe its validity for reasons BEN left "the orginazation"and not the fans:

1. The ROn Artest incident: To make a long story short, they banned his brother from the Palace. In His hearing to reinstate him, The Piston Brass did not recind. This guy was very protective over Ben to get his butt to the NBA and keep him from becoming what "he" was, a big bodyguard or worse, thug. So when BEN defended his teams honor(we were losing by 20) by shoving Artest to Muskegon, his brother only did what all our brother's would have done. I dont think Ben ever really forgave the front office...yknow, back of his mind stuff.

2. Flip's 3's: When u have a coach like LB who got us 1 and 3/4 championships in 2 years by emphasizing tough manonman D, lowpost effeciency and limited 3 pt bombing ONLY to replaced by a guy with 0 anythings, zone (Im weak-lets stand around) defense and jack up nothin but 3's-coach like flip, it has to tug at your jockstrap. BEN was Motown Hard, flip was miinnysoft. Ben was the assembly line, flip is the chorus line. I got out the Army when I saw the Army getting soft....BEN did the same.

3. The$$$$$$: BEN came in the league with nothing. He has established himself as the second best defensive player in Piston history. And now he is offered 2 mil more a year to relocate. I am about to relocate to NCarolina. UKNO why?..$$$$$...I dont blame Ben 4 the $$$, I baalme Joe D and co. for lying 2 us-BLANTANT LYING- and getting rid of MEMO, NASTY, DARKO, DLOS and MJ to sign Ben, Tay and CBill. BEN saw through the lie and hence, saw the changes.

4. While all these moves may be good 4 business, it shows how pro sports have no affection for the fans. All the kids(especially white ones) became a bit more closer to the black athlete. Ben made u less afraid of the "big black man". BEN knocked down stereotypes and racial discard 100 nights a year. BEN brought all of us on this forum together and made us feel that HARD WORK does pay off. BEN moving on only validates the importance of working hard to get whay you want, no matter where it leads u.

Any oldskoolers remember a song by the Chi-lites?/..." It was the coldddddddd-est day-ay...of my li-ife!"......

11. linwood

linwood All-Star

That sounds like a hardball, bigshot agent to me.

12. linwood

linwood All-Star

Nice post, Brotha! I didn't know the specifics, but I had a gut feeling Ben was not happy with the org. And your number 4 is right on. I'm gonna miss the big guy.:nod:

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I feel bad for little 5 year old Piston fans. There probably asking their moms and dads why Ben left. How the hell are you supposed to answer that without making the kid feel like crapp?...:ohwell:

14. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

right on, bro LIn and Mat...right the hell-on!!:doh:

15. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I guess it is a hard dose of reality for the young kiddies. Only the loot can make most people happy!!!!

Money talks and BS runs the marathon- Nino Brown

16. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Can you say spin?

17. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

You just tell them the team decided it was more important to score alot of points rather than win and they felt Ben was useless.

18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Flip Saunders?

19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good post bro HQ/CT/EMU, especially item # 3. On the other hand to not sign those other guys to make room for your big guy down the line sets you up to lose again when it is time to sign Billups....so treat him right now and maybe we are not crying the blues when CB asks for $70 mill next year.

to finish off the Chi-lites tune, "I had to run for cover yeah, yeah, yeah.

20. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

I can be sympathetic about his brother. That's a big one. But I can see that the Pistons were uncommonly loyal and accomodating to Ben in so many other ways that shouldn't be ignored either. Ultimately, I think Flip's the reason. The 4th quarter benching was really, really dumb.