Ernie Harwell Appreciation

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by mercury, Sep 5, 2009.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

It pains me to hear about his incurable cancer... Ernie has been our mainstay... like family... I can't think of a better human being... so many good memories.

This is for all the folks that grew up listening to the man... standing there like the house by the side of the road.

Remembering the best of Ernie Harwell - Game on - USATODAY.com
  2. detteam

detteam All-Star

Great thread. I've been kinda choked up since hearing the news (no pun intended).
  3. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Broadcasting style
    He is known for his low-key delivery, southern accent (Detroit "Ti-guhs"), and conversational style, which included:
    • Pausing periodically to allow the sounds of the ballpark to be heard.
    • Frequently referring to the location of Tiger Stadium: "the corner of Michigan and Trumbull," or simply "the corner".
    • Following up foul balls into the crowd with, "That one was caught by a fan from _____ ," and inserting the name of a nearby town or city. Before ticketing was computerized, blocks of tickets were shipped to retailers in certain cities. Harwell reportedly knew in some cases which city a particular ticket was originally sold in. As the tickets were available electronically, Harwell would simply choose whatever city struck his fancy. (Unless listeners realized that this was a jocular invention by Harwell, the catch-phrase could leave them wondering how Harwell "knew" where particular fans hailed from.)
    • After a double play, "It's two for the price of one for the Tigers."
    • Exclaiming on a called third strike, "He stood there like the house by the side of the road and watched that one go by." (This was an allusion to a poem by Sam Walter Foss.)
    • Also exclaiming on a called third strike, "He's out for excessive window shopping; looked at one too many."
    • Describing a home run, "That ball is looooong gone!"
    • Using the phrase "And the bases are loaded with Tigers" when Detroit had runners on all bases.
    • Exclaiming "The Tigers are looking for some instant runs" when Detroit had fallen behind by more than two or three runs late in a game.
    • When describing a meeting on the mound of a pitcher and manager or catcher, "They're having a confab at the mound."
    • Describing a controversial ball/strike call, "And there's a strike on the outside edge, Mr. _____ (surname of umpire) said so."
    • Beginning the first spring training broadcast of each season with a reading from Song of Solomon 2:11-12: "For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land."[3]
    • Describing a swinging strikeout, "He took his cut, and now he takes his seat."
    • On a Tiger manager's decision to allow the pitcher to work himself out of a jam: "He has decided to ride the rapids with the incumbent."
    • When an opposing team was starting a rally, he would customize, e.g.: "The Blue Jays are flapping their wings a little...The Mariners are marinating...The Rangers are ranging all over the place..."
    • Referring to some teams by their city names, e.g. "The Bostons" for the Red Sox, "The Clevelands" for the Indians, etc.
    • When the Tigers had scored already and were threatening to score more: "Oh, the Tigers are kickin' up their heels here!"
    I want to thank Ernie for visiting my father before he passed away last December.
    It was a nice treat for my father and the others at the long term care facility.
  4. Nemo

• Ernie Harwell Farewell Address
      September 30, 2002

"The Tigers have just finished their 2002 season. And I've just finished my baseball broadcasting career, and it's time to say good-bye. But I think good-byes are sad, and I'd much rather say hello. Hello to a new adventure.
      "I'm not leaving, folks. I'll still be with you, living my life in Michigan, my home state, surrounded by family and friends.
      "And rather than good-bye, please allow me to say thank you.
      "Thank you for letting me be part of your family. Thank you for taking me with you to that cottage up north, to the beach, the picnic, your work place and your backyard.
      "Thank you for sneaking your transistor under the pillow as you grew up loving the Tigers.
      "Now I might have been a small part of your life. But you have been a very large part of mine. And it's my privilege and honor to share with you the greatest game of all.
      "Now God has a new adventure for me. And I'm ready to move on. So I leave you with a deep sense of appreciation for your longtime loyalty and support.
      "I thank you very much, and God bless all of you."​
  5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I met Ernie and shook his hand once when he was signing calendars.

Hard to believe he was once fired by Bo...When I think of Ernie..I think of Ernie and Paul. Especially the summer of '76 which was a magical summer for Tiger baseball. And of course 1984 when everything went right.
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was telling my wife this morning that Ernie introduced me to baseball (Tigers in particular) back in in 1962 as an 8 year old listening to my little transistor radio as he gave out his famous anecdotes, and taught me the rules of the game and introduced me to such tiger legends as Al Kaline, Hank Aguirre, Jim Bunning, Willie Horton, Norm Cash, Jake Wood, Billy Brutin, Rocky Colovito and of course the Tigers best PH of all time, the "Gator" Gates Brown. Its good to even hear his voice these days doing the commercials when I am listening to the Tiger games on the internet.
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm trying to come up with how many nicks that Ernie is responsible for...
    Just in 1968... "Nick the quick" Stanely... Willie "the Wonder" Horton... "Stormin' Norman" Cash... "The Gator" Gates Brown (agree with Dre...best pinch hitter of all time)... for some reason I can't think of Al Kalines nick?...
    To this day I could name every player on the '68 squad... it was that important for a young kid craddling his radio.

Nemo, that was an exceptional post... worthy of post of the year... thanks for sharing.
    Dre, good stuff man.. didn't realize you were part of the ol' farts club :^)

Usually this stuff just passes as another ESPN story... but this one truly hits home.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think during the 68 series someone started calling him the Old Pro..as he was the senior guy on the team having been with the Tigers since I believe 1955 or 56. Not sure if it was Harwell or George Kell or someone else, but I do remember it being said back in the day. I am sure neither of the came up with the nick name "Rollie Pollie" Mickey Lolich..... a song popularized after his 3 WS victories that year
  9. Nemo

Good one. Hadn't thought about Lolich and that song for many years. :MusicBigGrin: