Elden Cambell (Where are you?)

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by dozero, Oct 24, 2005.

1. dozero

dozero First Round Draft Pick

Has anyone heard as to why Elden won't be back with us? I know Dale was signed as his "replacement", but I don't recall hearing that Elden retired. Any info? Also, why or why did we sign the Greek guy. He seems so clue less out there is scary.
  2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

dozero....I don't know that Glyniadakis is totally clueless, he seems well versed on how to foul someone. I'm surprised because during the summer Lee3576 had "Glinny" penciled into about 50 different lineup variations. In hindsight Lee may have jumped the gun because nobody had seen him play at that point.

OK..your point about Elden Campbell. Remember at the end of last season when we lost out on DD and ended up signing Elden back? Pretty much everyone was saying things like ...Elden can cover Shaq better anyway...and seemed happy that it worked out that way.

So this year it's the opposite and we have DD instead of Elden? I would have liked to have seen EC get some minutes under Flip.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yes 'Bills, but if you remember, during SL lee was quite sure that Delfino can cover big men in the paint. He seemed adamant that JMax wasn't up to the task.

I'd say that JD took lee's advice to heart and decided that we could roll without EC as long as Delfino was around to battle with Shaq.

4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Lol....now that's good stuff Micro. Classic Lee3567. I think he was hoping that post was lost in cyberspace.

Can't believe you would actually save one of those...well actually I'm sure quite a few of us have saved some favorites....

As far as actually playing basketball, I have played a lot more one on one vs. 5 on 5. Not bad actually. As far as 5 on 5, a couple times a week for a couple of hours of five on five during the winters in school gyms reserved by a group of guys. For a couple of years I lived in Kentucky where I played 6 hours of basketball every day ....blah, blah make every shot from half court etc.
  5. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Delfino and bigs...huhh???? :confused:
  6. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Have no fear

IF Joe thinks we need Elden later in the season, I am sure he will call him and if he does, Elden will consider it.

Personally, I don't think we will need him, but that's just me :first: !!!
  7. roscoe36

lazy,

I agree wholeheartedly. It's DMC time. Elden would just be another guy between DMC and serious PT. The Serbian Swat machine is starting to show glimpses that he could be able to compete with the big boys by the end of the year. He deserves that chance.
  8. dozero

True. Darko is doing the do and I expect him to be the back up center. I'm just thinking that 3.5 for two years was a bit much for your 3rd string center. (sure, sure we didn't know what Darko was gonna give us, but why not have just signed Eden to a year at 2.5 and be free of the salary next year.
  9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

free to get what?
  10. dozero

Slippy: Free to have more available cash for resigning Prince and Wallace. It also makes room for Glyniadakis as the 3rd string center. Projected 2006 Line Up: CB, RH, TP, RW and BW. 2nd: CA, ME, CD, AM and DM. 3Rrd: AA, ??, AJ, JM, AG. Not a bad team.
  11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

that's cool. I was thinking you wanted elden instead of darko. But maybe you mean not having davis?

My understanding is that the pistons are over the cap and that it doesn't affect contracts of prince and wallace but would only leave MLE's if we wanted to bring in new FA's.

Can anyone confirm this?
  12. roscoe36

Once you hit the cap, all that is left for free money are

* Exceptions (MLE, Veterans, etc)
    * Rookie Deals (I think)
    * Bird Rights players http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#23
  13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'll just add:

League minimum
    Injury exception
    Trade exception (we own one)
  14. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Elden

Elden Campbell has lost the fire to compete at this level. He may not turn down a nice paycheck if one is on offer, but he seemed to have mentally checked out last year. He had one last hurrah against Shaq, but I think his low level of enthusiasm would be detrimental to the teams' focus and energy. I don't think Joe wants a guy on this team who doesn't have fire in his belly.

I don't mean to disrespect EC or his career. He's respected the game, been a class act and a true professional - but it's done, time for him to move on.
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Elden

Why would the Pistons need Elden later? If they need someone to guard, say Tim Duncan, they could just use Tayshaun Prince. Just ask Larry Brown.
  16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Better yet how about we put Tay on Shaq in a playoff game against the Heat, LB would do that.
  17. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Nah C-Note on Shaq he has nasty elbows.I don't know if Elden lost the fire in his belly or not but I personally don't think we need him.It's Darko time he needs to improve over the season leading up and into the playoffs.

He has had a good preseason so far he needs to keep it goin.
  18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Ha Nasty elbows. Jermaine Oneal is just hating on us cuz we better. chauncey sticks out his elbows like chicken wings, and he says the Pistons have the worst visiting lockerroom BS.