ECF Game 6 Celtics/Pistons Fri. May 30th, 8:30 PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by max, May 29, 2008.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Well, the Celtics choked less than the Pistons and therefore deserved to win the game and the series.

I've been saying all along Celtics in 6 and even after the last Pistons victory, I said we had seen the last victory of the year. I'm not at all surprised, but it sucks, anyhow.

I don't blame Flip for this one game, but I think his coaching methods the entire season brought the team to this point. Well...the team is largely responsible too, of course.

Flip needs to go. Is there a crappy team out there willing to do a two for one? Like two of our starters for one of their studs.

They need to let Max & Amir and Stuckey play lots more next year. There will be growing pains, but it will be a lot of fun to watch.

I really stopped liking this team LONG ago. I don't think you tear up a team that went to the ECF 6 consecutive years, but I think we need a clutch guy.

Go Red Wings and I agree with all those who said it's been fun with you guys. Great insight from the forum members all the time. Some folks will disappear for the summer. Have a great one. I'll be here talking fantasy trash and making Jammer's life as miserable as I possibly can. :MusicBigGrin:
  2. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Shout out to Roscoe and moderators/contributors for doing a great job of maintaining and promoting this forum. Even w/ the loss I feel like I have a Piston family sharing the disappointment and future expectations w/ me.

Great job by Joe D for fielding such a competitive team year in year out. Piston fans have nothing to be ashamed of. A few changes and we are good to go.

TO THE FUTURE !!
  3. Syg

Syg First Round Draft Pick

I knew they were going to figure some way to blow out the game. I didnt want to think about it, but I knew it.

Alright, Lindsey has to retire. And Sheed definitively has to go somewhere else, I dont care where, maybe in a team where being cold-hearted is a plus. Idk if Tay should go, his defensive plays are really good... but he seems to burst and choke in the ECF. Get Sheed or Tay out for a first pick. And the other one for 2 young excellent guys, like Jamario Moon, idk.

Keep Billups, definitively keep Hamilton. Dumars, do what you got to do with McDyess. And... most of all... fire Flip. Really really fire Flip, for ever.

Celtics were always better, because we played at 80%. Thats why they were better, our guys didnt know how to play at their best, or maybe they cant, so lets see some changes.

Which guys would you like to come to the pistons?
  4. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Seconded.
  5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

thirded!
  6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

As I was watching Theo a step slow on help, fumbling the ball out of bounds and fouling guys AFTER they make the basket, I was just picturing you seething somewhere! :pound:

Agree 100%.

I agree on all counts.

:pound::pound::pound: Well, when you put it like that, heck, I feel sorry for me too!

That was exactly what I was thinking. He just looked like he had given up. Completely distant and disinterested. I know that many people have said that Lindsay mentioning it in his interview was a small deal, but I think that it was completely inappropriate to mention it in public like that. Whether that was a factor in things, I have no idea, but it was unprofessional and counterproductive IMO.
  7. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Flip stays........He didn't lose this series. We lost to a better team. The only way we coulda won was to win game 1 with intensity and determination. The players don't bring that consistently and collectively to their jobs any more. Sheed will go this off season. Look for Tay to be offered in trades as well. Joe will make the safe decision and keep Flip. With 235 consecutive sellouts, he wants to keep the BOSS happy.:gun1:
  8. detteam

detteam All-Star

Congratulations to the Celtics (the better team won)...and congrats to Stern getting his marketing matchup.
  9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

just getting back from the palace now...at 1:15 AM. i have not read any other posts in this thread, but i promise one last really good hogcap a little bit later, possibly tomorrow.
  10. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

First, a great, great run by the Pistons. 6 years is a long time in the NBA. I have great respect for our players so I will not criticize any of them.

No, I will not congratulate the Celtics. Why? Because they were constituted out of thin air. It is actually bad for the league. They did it with the Heat but that took two years. They will do it again. Take any bad team and put 2 all stars and a role player (Posey) and you have a shot. Bad.

Our starting unit lacks speed, pure and simple. We are too old at key positions. Our youth is not integrated to mitigate this problem. When we beat the Lakers we were the young kids on the block. This group, while playing the youth more, would still win a bunch of games next year. But we are not at the finals level. Close, very close, but not getting closer...

Sheed and Dyss are 33. That is old for key NBA positions. Only Tay will be younger than 30 in the starting unit. So reluctantly, I have to side for those who say time for a change. We need a young, big body in the worst way. The trick will be to make the change while not sliding down a level. Very hard to do and we may only get one crack at it. A wrong move and we accentuate the decline. Yes, we have youth, but only Stuckey looks like a bonafide star in the making. I think we overate our youth...as most fans do of their teams.
  11. jammertime

Absolutely agree d-team, the Celtics were the better team in this series.

I think that Flip had a LOT of help losing this series, but he's far from blameless. He, and a few players, need to go for so many reasons.
  12. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I don't really know what to say. Didn't get a chance to read through all the posts so all relevant things were probably said.

I'm just dissappointed. I mean i knew they were going to lose so i don't know why i even feel this dissappointed.

No AA/Amir. Theo still played. Stuck/Linds were taken out for Billups. Tay was never pulled. PP shot 8-12.

Sheed looked like he was trying to play without emotion in fear of a technical and looked tight. Tay looked not only tired, but scared.

Flip looked like his usual self. He abandoned the rotation that brought so much success all year, and coached like a p . . . word i wont use right now. Everything we supposedly worked on this year down the drain. The bench became a hinderance instead of an asset it has been b/c outside of Stuckey, and Max who inexplicably got his PT taken away, the wrong people played.

If Flip is fired, then i guess this loss will be somewhat worth it. He's just not right for this team. He got outcoached by Doc Rivers. That alone shoulkd make him re-think his coaching career.

I didn't watch any post-game. I don't think i want to.

We need a new coach. Flip is just watching a different game than everybody else. I've never seen someone with no feel and perception of anything that's going on on the court. And we need to trade Dice. I know that's an unpopular opinion, but he's just taking away time from the young bigs that have to play, and he can probably get us something of value after his performance in the ECF's.

Something went on behind the scenes before this game. This team just did not look right tonight.

This kind of shoots holes in the theory we win with our guards.

CLE/ATL took BOS to 7 games with their defense. I miss the days when we had that to fall back on . . .
  13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

When we had LB even if the Pistons went ice cold like they did at the end they still could have shut down Boston and pulled out a win. Now there is so much pressure on the Pistons on both ends because their defense was being shredded and nothing was going into the basket.

What is the point of getting a new coach though? If we get a championship level coach would it be too late. Let's assume that the Pistons still have enough in the tank to win it next year. It probably takes longer than 1 year for that coach to pull out a championship. Saying that this team next year will be ready again is foolish. The bench provided much needed energy this year. However, it is the starters who play in crunch time. It is ultimately their energy that wins games. Even if the Pistons had the most energetic bench it would be the starters in the game for the last minutes of the 4th.

I wouldn't mind getting a new coach. The main goal is to win a championship though. Maybe if the Pistons grabbed a new coach 2 years ago or maybe last year that coach might of been able to get us to the trophy again. I think it is too late for that again. 3 straight losses in Game 6 of the ECF's. The Pistons might prove people wrong when they make the playoffs (some said they would not), or when they won in the first round (some said they would not, or when they got back to the ECF's (many said they would not), but they did not get over what they have failed to over the past few years again.

Disappointing
  14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Story of this team's lives.
  15. jammertime

Flip just isn't the answer here. I don't think that our window is as small as some might suggest. I think that now is the PERFECT time to bring in a new coach.

I do think that at least 1 of our starters needs to be moved though. My first choice would be Sheed. If we move him, we've now moved our oldest starter and have shaken up the core. Tay & Rip are in their primes and CB still has a few solid years left in him.

With guys like Stuckey, J-Max, Amir & Afflalo around, I think we have a great balance of youth and experience and are setup to contend in the East for years to come. What we're missing is a solid SF to spell/push Tay and a legit C - perhaps even one that actually likes to play in the paint.

This team has been consistently 1 or 2 players away from being favourites to win it all for several years now. There's no need to blow everything up and start over and we're nowhere close to needing a rebuilding stage.

Have faith! While the end of our season has been disappointing, I don't think that this season has been a total loss. The development of guys like Stuckey (our CB heir apparent), J-Max (Ben 2.0), Afflalo (Lindsay Jr) and Amir (Darko with heart) is something to get excited about IMO.
  16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

So far in all related threads and the DetNews site its 9 to 1 Sheed and Flip have to be moved. One to another team and the other to the curb. Lets make the latter move before the draft and make the former on the draft day trading up to the 5th spot:)
  17. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

We keep pushing our window open but each time age pushes it closed. When we won the title, I told a friend that the Pistons would be at the top until Ben and Sheed were 33. Well, Sheed is 33. He has slowed noticeably the last few years a bit at a time. He can't guard outside at all. He gets tired, etc.

I think we have our youth overrated as most fans do of their teams. Stuckey will be a star, ok. But our other guys are still low picks, projects, etc. Even Maxiell has never shown that he will get a lot of boards.

The irony of all this is that we are very close to the top. The same team next year while playing the youth much more would win a bunch of games. Fun, but to what purpose? We have been in the finals for 6 years. We are not getting younger to go higher.

Who has a young big that they want to trade us? It will not be easy. And if Joe missteps, our decline will be quicker and even more problematic.
  18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I think the window is closed or at least it will be once the Lakers get Bynum back. We don't need a championship coach anymore. Hire Micheal Curry. Let him get a trial run for 2 years. Mix the vets/rookies. Trade a starter. We will still be competitive. It just sucks our opening was wasted with a mediocre coach.

As for the second part, i don't think they have to. If your getting outplayed you sit. Max/Stuckey never should have been replaced.
  19. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

I'm not pissed (I usually am)...but I am very disappointed. I really thought this squad was good enough to finally get over Flip's 4-2 hump. Guess not.

Flop needs to go. He's not the worst coach in the world, but he's a bad fit for this team, and his "I must play only starters in crunch time" mentality hurts us. It makes us damn predictable. Sheed might be going as well. The backcourt is likely going to stay as is, but that frontcourt needs a change. It's simply too old and slow (in tay's case, young but slow). Trade 'em to move up or trade 'em for someone who can help fill the void. Amir and Arron will need to be given bigger roles next year. I wouldn't mind trading Max either.
  20. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

FLip is not the one to blame. This roster simply doesn't seem to be strong enough. Under these rules, you need more than one rookie- slasher. Pistons are a pure jump- shooters team and that bites back once the shots ain't falling. In the NBA of these days, you need players who attack the rim and get the call every single time. That's something the Pistons have been lacking since Stackhouse was traded. It hurts, but the Pistons are the new version of the Jazz. 6 conference finals in a row but only 2 finals appearances and 1 ship. Talk about being good, but not good enough.