ECF Game 6 Celtics/Pistons Fri. May 30th, 8:30 PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by max, May 29, 2008.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's official Curry will be the head coach next year with Hunter his # 1 assistant. Flip and Cowens are gone if the Pistons are not on a plane to Boston Saturday morning. Not sure about TP, he may get HC job or be another assistance somewhere else if Joe doesn't promise him the #1 job at the palace.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If Lindsey increases hit scoring production by 100%, he'll still have 0 points.

Can't start AA b/c he's rusty? Great reason Flip.
  3. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

I think Joe would shake up the starting unit if this game results in an L and end to another season where the Stones could'nt compete for a Championship. Sort of depressing thinking about that given how long we have seen these players, even though I'd like to choke them at times.
  4. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Rip will play. Rip being Rip, he'll play. But how effective is he going to be? Psychologically, he'll tend to miss a lot of shots thinking about the arm and that's natural. And this might be trouble for us. Flip really need to think about running plays that Flip end up passing the ball to open shooters, like Dice. Rip can still be effective without shooting that much. He has to contain Allen. He can still play good D. If he has to shoot, please let those be lay ups.

Flip, play AA. I don't care even if it is for 10 seconds or less. He should be playing cause when he does in this series, the PISTONS are 2-0.

If we play with the ENERGY & PASSION, we will WIN.

LET'S GO PISTONS!
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Too bad this didn't happen to Sheed instead. All that lefty practice would finally pay off.

In all honesty, we are in rough shape right now.

We have a top 5 point guard with a bad hammy.
    The top midrange shooter in the game with hyper extended shooting elbow.
    The "most talented player in history if he chose to use it" who is 1 tech from a suspension.

At least we are going to have the come crowd.
  6. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Which brings up the question that I have been asking for weeks now.

Do you get him in the game; NO MATTER WHAT????

It may be fate, dumb luck or who knows but when AA plays; we win. Get him in the next 2 games.
  7. Syg

Syg First Round Draft Pick

Idk, in a do or die game like this, you dont tend to use players "to see what they can do". I hope they win this, with or without AA, but there is no time for testing.

It's just a shame the Pistons can't play with that same desperation before the situation requires it.

Btw, I dont really think Rip will be able to play. Its a shame, but the other 4 will have to step up the way he always does. Specially Rasheed and Prince.

I would like you all to read this article, I think its perfect:

Last call? Pistons need more than reputation now | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Syg.
  8. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Mitch Albom brings us some reality.........:stirthepot:

Tonight, they pull out the old armor, they tug on the rusty helmets, they lift the familiar swords. But if they fall, it is over. Know that. This annual drama, this thrilling but maddening Pistons attitude ends tonight if the Celtics win. All good theatre runs its course, and the Pistons Entitlement Show of the past four years has become a feisty but weary act. It might have one great performance left. It may still hold a championship. But, like a Broadway hit with dwindling box office, it is being watched by its backers very carefully.
    And a curtain hangs overhead.
    "We're going to come out and we're going to fight and we're going to scratch," Chauncey Billups said well after midnight following the Game 5 loss at Boston. "We're going to claw and do the things that we've been known to do."
    Sounds good. Sounds strong.
    But ask this tough question: What things have the Pistons "been known to do?"
    Since winning the NBA title in 2004, they have been known to: 1) Steal playoff games. 2) Throw away playoff games. 3) Win strong on the road. 4) Lose ugly at home. 5) Go longer than needed against inferior teams. 6) Oust challengers in seven games. 7) Watch certain stars drift off the stage. 8) Stay cool. 9) Lose their cool. 10) Face elimination. 11) Say they like the pressure. And 12) Get eliminated anyhow.
    Much has been made of the six straight trips to the Eastern Conference finals. And it is impressive. But if the Pistons bow out tonight or Sunday, they will have lost four of those six.
    That's nothing to hang your hat on.
    And it won't let them play Kings in Exile. Not anymore.
    Really better after all these years?

There has long been a feeling that these Pistons are defending champions, even when they are not defending anything more than "Eastern Conference Semifinalist." They play, act and are even chronicled by the media as if they're the San Antonio Spurs, a title-rich franchise always looming for another. But the Spurs actually have done it. They won last year and two years before that and two years before that and four years before that.
    These Pistons have one crown. They're not defending it. They're remembering it.
    And it's getting fuzzier.
    So tonight, with Rip Hamilton, their leading scorer in the series, injured and questionable, they will wage a desperate battle with Boston not to win the conference, but to stay alive. You can go back and look at Game 1 and say they let rust beat them, Game 3 and say they blew a great chance, Game 5 and say they just missed a spectacular comeback.
    But for three years, in their final round, the Pistons have had games like that and rationalizing like that. And they walk away saying, "We're still the better team."
    That mantra is over. If they're the better team, they'll win tonight. They'll do it with mettle, guts and patience. And if they win tonight, you like them in a Game 7 against a team that hasn't reached the NBA Finals in two decades.
    But if they lose, they will have seen, for the third straight year, a franchise that was behind them surge past for a shot at the title. And there's no reason to expect this cast and coach, left intact, would fare any better next time.
    Best shots needed from big shots

So Rasheed Wallace, heard Wednesday night in the locker room cursing a blue streak, will have to play, not scowl, his way to redemption. And Tayshaun Prince, understandably tired from his defensive burdens, will have to find aggression and a shooting touch if he wants another game this season. And Billups, a puzzling force this series, will have to earn his Mr. Big Shot reputation, not just hear it. And Antonio McDyess, who never plays with entitlement, will have one more chance to earn that right.
    Meanwhile, Flip Saunders, who tilts with fans between "doing all he can" and "unable to do anything," may have his job in the balance.
    And if all that sounds like a lot, it is. For all the bravado, here is who these Pistons really are: a team that, like late-arriving passengers, stuffs all its baggage into one huge suitcase and tries to hoist it through a closing door.
    In years past, there was always another flight. Always a feeling of next year. I don't think they can count on that anymore. Chauncey's "things that we've been known to do" needs a new interpretation. Tonight, the curtain opens or the curtain falls. Jump ball.
    Contact MITCH ALBOM at 313-223-4581 or malbom@freepress.com.
    Click here if you would like to comment on Mitch Albom's columns.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We've already seen what AA can do. He played 25% of available minutes during the regular season compared to 27% for Stuckey.

Also, during the first 2 rounds of the playoffs this year, he was our 8th most used player, ahead of Ratliff.

Afflalo is a known commodity. He will bring exceptional defense and unselfish offense.
  10. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Amen, and Amen.
  11. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

I thought it was his LEFT elbow that he hurt. Are you S*&$ing me!?!??!? We're screwed! What's the point in playing if he can't shoot. He isn't good for much else (no offense Rip)!

I've said it before, Sheed will get that dreaded 7th T, we will win but be without himin Game 7. He can't go a game without getting one!

PLEASE Pistons, prove me wrong!
  12. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

He said that?!!!? AA plays defense. Rusty? He's got boundless amounts of energy from sitting on that damn bench. We don't even pass him the ball! How the hell can he be rusty? :frusty:

edited to add;

That article blows.
  13. max

max All-Star

Hamilton will play tonight.

Hamilton will play tonight - Detroit Pistons Basketball: News, Blogs, Photos, Audio, Schedule & Stats - MLive.com
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

No, Flip didn't call AA rusty. I just sort of responded to an earlier comment here that we can't play AA in a critical game now because he's rusty and then I blamed Flip for causing the rust.

I'll admit that he and Amir could each have that deer in the headlights look if they were actually put in now due to the length of time that they've been out and the magnitude of the situation. However, I'm a little upset that they haven't been at least been getting spot minutes to keep them involved.

I'm going to end it like this: if we can't beat Boston at home tonight, then we are not the better team. It doesn't matter if we have a couple minor injuries or if our bench isn't being utilized or if we get hosed on the calls or if our coach sucks, we should still win this game. I fully expect it to happen.
  15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Ahh Ok, I was looking for that article LOL.

Your better than me. I won't ever believe BOS was the better team. We're handicaped by our coach's inability. For all River's faults, he's not afraid to bench his starters, and throw people in there.

BOS will just be better due to circumstance/injury even if we lose this game which i believe we will (No Jinxing!)
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

ESPN Page 2 - Simmons: Coasting toward the Finals

It's funny to hear that Simmons' complaints about his team are the same as ours. These two coaches deserve eachother.
  17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

It is ironic. The difference is Doc changed the rotation, and then realized it wasn't working (took him long enough) and went back to the orginal. We have yet to see Flip do the same.
  18. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Sheed does seem to lose it at the worst possible time, usually in an elimination game.

Hopefully, he can get that 7th tech in game 7, Pistons win, and open the Finals Thursday against the Palace with a win against the Lakers, without Sheed!

I will now wake up from this dream.................:pound:
  19. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

You guys underestimate Sheed. I'm calling it right now. No tech for Sheed unless the game is absolutely out of reach (which ppl forget the CLE game was and Sheed had fouled out as well), I'm talking like down 20 with 3 min to go.

If there is a Game 7, he WILL be playing in it.
  20. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i'll be there and ready to lose my voice for 3 days again

GO PISTONS!!