ECF Game 6 Celtics/Pistons Fri. May 30th, 8:30 PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by max, May 29, 2008.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

But Stuckey is and has been doing just that. He's carried us.

2. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Rest of bench are not "stuckey's"...yet.

Problem is that starter can miss 4 shots in a row and he still plays.Why? Because he is capable of to hit 4 in a row after bad break.

Our starters are capable of to overcome their own bad plays. Except for stuckey, rest of bench are not able for that.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

There is no way that you'd be saying Stuckey is capable of this if you hadn't just seen it first hand. Your position has always been that our starters start for a reason and our bench players are benched for reason. If we lose, it is because of execution.

That is a really stress-free way to look at things. I may have to convert.

4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

True, but that number is a little misleading. I think there's probably not a single minute ever when the bench is in all by itself, and there are only a few plays the entire night when anyone from the bench is having their number called on offense over any of the starters. So while the bench play is important, probably at least 95% of the game is up to the starters to make the plays. If they're not doing that, the bench is probably not going to make up for that. Now I agree we have a good bench and maybe some of them should be given more opportunities, but overall I think Flip is doing fine, and the little quibbles we have with him are not going to won the game for us.

Life is good this way, bro! Why pull your hair out over things that you can't control and that don't personally affect your life? There are a lot more important things that I have tied to my happiness than a basketball game. :MusicBigGrin:

5. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Yeah, that is what I have done. Feel free to convert. My church needs members. :)

6. coynejeremy

I think we're also forgetting that our biggest gamechanger this series (Dice) was strapped to bench by the refs the entire game. Mighty shady by those Boston floppers to flop Dice out of the game like that, and might unprofessional of the refs to fall for it.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You don't understand coyne. I'm actually trying to control Flip indirectly through my contribution to the general mindset of this forum, which gets read by beat writers, who then write articles echoing our sentiments. Flip reads those articles, scoffs at them, and then subconsciously incorporates them into his decision making process. Did you notice when Amir Johnson was sent to the scorer's table with 22 seconds left in the first half? You think that was 100% Flip's idea? He probably doesn't even remember doing it.

8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

:pound:

Also the bench can make up for the mistakes by the starters by them not being in the game. That lead would not have evaporated had the bench stayed out there. Mind you, this was against BOS' starters.

9. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

The only reason you "know" this to be true is because he was given the opportunity to "show" you. He only has 2 years of college experience at a small school.

AA has four years of experience at UCLA and final four games that his has played in. Rational thinking would suggest that AA is more qualified to have a positive contribution off the bench then Stuckey. The difference is that he has not been given the opportunity.

It is IMPOSSIBLE for you to know that AA or Amir cannot have a positive impact on the game!!!! :gun1:

10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am watching the replay of this game on NBA TV right now and the starters lost this game in the second qtr. The score was tied at 25-25 when PJ had the flagrant foul on Max. The Pistons pushed the score up to 38-33 with Max, Rip Dice, Stuckey, Hunter and then Theo when Max got his third foul.

At the 5:40 mark, flip put all five starters back in and the Celtics proceeded to close the quarter from that standpoint with a 19-8 run including 11 in a row at one point. During that period Billups over dribbled and we only went to the paint 1 or 2 times with KG blocking one of the those Rip drives. As I said in the chat room, I don't mind the starters closing out the games, but when closing out the half their lack of desire is evident and they seem more excited about getting to the lockeroom than showing any energy on the floor. I also mentioned before the game was that the key to the game was closing out quarters which they did very nicely on the 1st, 3rd and 4th, but didn't in the all important second where they should have had 6-10 point lead instead of being down by 6. ... Dice did go to the bench with 3 fouls and then everyone's whipping boy Theo came in contributed to the lackadaisical play during the close out. I am not saying that Amir would have made any impact, but he does have the knack of grabbing boards ala Ben and Rodman...so what if he commits a couple of fouls and doesn't score......it was the lack of getting rebounds that ultimately did them in despite the comeback and close loss.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I was also really disappointed that we couldn't keep that lead that we built in the 2nd quarter. It was a bit demoralizing to let it slip away.

I think most of us here like Theo. We're just realists.

Pros-
    He tried hard, and he is tall. He's a shot blocker.

Cons-
    His offensive game is basically limited to dunks and he doesn't rebound well.

12. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

So i read that if Rip is out Stuck is starting. Dixon will be activated.

I don't like it. IMO, Blliups/Stuck do not play well together. I'd rather stick with what we did in the beginning of the year. I think Aaron takes care of Ray Allen doesn't let him get into a rythm, and having him on the floor forces Tay/Sheed to step it up. Knowing Flip though, he won't even play.

I like the idea of activating Dixon. Please deactivate Theo.

The bench looked great pushing the tempo. We need to run. CB needs someone to threaten him to get him to give up the ball.

I will be completely drunk for this game. :party:

13. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I don`t believe I am saying this, but, here goes; if Aaron Afflalo doesn`t play, at least 8-10 min in this game Flip should be ashamed of himself.

He could really help, IMO. With Rip out, there is no excuse to give him some PT, just to see what he can do.

14. detteam

detteam All-Star

I agree completely. His D alone would be probably be worth his PT...and who knows? He might get to the rim a couple times too.

15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

St8o, hey, no way KG shoots like he did game five. That's more defensive boards for us.
    But Perkins may need to be dealt with.
    -
    Unfortunately no way Sheed shoots like game 5.

16. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Also when he plays the energy of the team goes way up esp defensively. He's also someone BOS is not prepared for, and since he isn't a great jumpshooter he pushes the ball, attacks the rim. (and runs the break well).

He will neutralize Ray Allen which we need. Stuckey, for all his great qualities, can't get around a screen to save his life.

Flip can then put Stuck on the floor with Linds (who are very good together) and he won't have to play the dreaded two rookies together.

Stuck/Billups doesn't make sense since they both can't really shoot at the moment, and neither can stop penetration.

I have a feeling Rip will play though. How effective he'll be is another story . . .

17. max

max All-Star

It will be a big hit not having Rip. I think we can still pull this out without him but he has to be back for game 7.

With the way Hunter has been playing its hard to knock Flip for making the move for Hunter over AA. Right now it does put us in a tough spot.

Normally AA would get the start and it worked out pretty well during the season. With his lack of PT in the playoffs I am not sure it would be the best move right now. I think you have to go with the guys who have been playing.

Maybe start Stucky at the point with Billups as the SG and try combinations of Hunter, Dixson and AA off the bench to see what works.

Hopefully one of those bench guys can be our Boobie Gibson for this one game.

18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

19. max

max All-Star

Nice find. Very interesting. Hunter referred to talking with his "other coach" Michael Curry on how they could improve the defense.

Hunter said Rip has also been pretty upset about Sheed. You definetly do not want these kinds of distractions.

20. coynejeremy

Weird. Hunter is trying to match Smith's hyperactivity, and ends up sounding really forced and fake. Has Lenz been popping those diet pills?