ECF Game 6 Celtics/Pistons Fri. May 30th, 8:30 PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by max, May 29, 2008.

1. max

max All-Star

ECF Game 6 Celtics/Pistons Fri. May 30th, 8:30 PM

tv: ESPN

Series swings back to Auburn Hills as the Pistons enter their 1st Elimination game of the post-season.

I don't have to tell you all how huge this game is. Will this be the last charge for Flip and his immortals? Or can they finally get over the 10 win post-season hump and force this thing back to Boston for a game 7?

If they lose then all I ask is for the team to leave it all out on the court. If Boston is the better team then they are the better team. But thats not been decided yet and the Pistons are still alive.

Back in the ECF of 05 against the Heat the Pistons were also down 2-3 without homecourt in the series. Time to step it up and prove that they still are capable of winning these kinds of things.

This is it. This is what they are going to be remembered by. Its going to determine if they will be remembered as underachievers or as champions.

Hamilton uncertain for game 6
    Hamilton strains elbow, uncertain for Game 6 - Detroit Pistons Basketball: News, Blogs, Photos, Audio, Schedule & Stats - MLive.com
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I concur Max.

We got to get over the proverbial 10 game hump and win # 11 and then take care of business Sunday and win #12. We were actually in the same position the last three years, down 3-2. We came back and won the won 6 and 7 as you indicated (with LB in 05). But with Flip we have lost game six and the series the last two years. Each of those two losses were on the road but this time we have game 6 at home and have to prevail.

No game 3 duplications or let downs here, no free chili for the Celtics. If they do then it so long Mr Flip and one of those underachieving vets:sssh:
  3. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Stuckey says that we got killed on the glass and need to do a better job. Then he suggested we play Amir . . .

Ok, the second part is not true, but you know he thinks it. :hoops:
  4. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

And so do I. Why not give a try ? Does it hurt ?
  5. philpiston32

philpiston32 First Round Draft Pick

Flip's scared to death to try it
    :hoops:
  6. whatever_gong82

whatever_gong82 First Round Draft Pick

Flip's gone after tomorrow (I hope), and I'll be happy, for one.
  7. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

you're funny here: all blames to flip who didn't play amir. Ok, he maybe could have been good enough for several rebounds but at the same time committed several fouls also, it means 4-6 additional foul shots to C's. And he is physically a lot weaker than perkins or KG or PJ Brown.

The only way to beat boston is that all starters have to play well or at least have above average game.

I know, I know, next poster asks after this: but how'bout afflalo? Isn't he savior's materal?
  8. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Joe needs to sign Flip to an extension just before the game starts. This will set the tone for the whole night. 4 years at about 18.9 million should just about do it. When we win it all, then Flip becomes a bargain. Remember...All of you who think that Flip is gone...Think... Who was the person who picked up Theo during the season? Who gave Flip the opportunity to bench Amir in favor of Theo? All Joe had to do is just watch Flip play Amir if that's what he wanted. I see Joe keeping Flip.........He's the consumate company man...
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

9.98 DR
    Elimination game, it would only be tougher on the road.
    Celts could relax and reload for home, that been there M.O.
    Aside from the rebounding issues just avoid the cold shooting streaks.
  10. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

This is like saying, aside from the dagger in my lungs and subsequent blood filling them up... I feel fine.
  11. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Again, everybody else was getting called for fouls anyways.

At worst you make them earn the points from the stripe, and you save the starters legs and foul trouble.
  12. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

That's what Flip and some persons upstair this thread don't understand.
  13. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Plus you get the opportunity to get easy buckets by getting a rebound and running the ball rather then taking it out of bounds after ANOTHER Celtic point blank put back!!!!!
  14. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Wrong. some starters have underperformed and our bench is not capable of covering those underperformances. Our bench are rookies and veteran minimums. Why do you treat them like world saviors?

In or current configuration it is starters job to win games. Maybe in this club are starters roles way too big? I mean, maybe dumars and flip expect too much from starters?
  15. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

yeah, fact of the matter is it's the starters who aren't getting it done. the bench is capable of holding leads, extending leads, or even chipping away at leads...but you can't expect them to come back from 17-20 down.

i'll be at the game and i'll probably lose my voice again, but i fully expect a drubbing by the pistons and then anything goes in game 7.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Rax, without Stuckey, the Pistons would be fishing right now. He's a bench rookie. All year long, Stuck, Afflalo, and Amir were contributing to wins. Stuckey didn't stand out as being the superstar amoung them. These 3 players are all good and can all help, if given the chance.

The vets off the bench have been given plenty of opportunity and they are playing pretty average.

Take this for example:
    Lindsey Hunter has played 52 minutes so far against Boston. He has 7 points on 37% shooting, and 5 steals compared to 14 personal fouls.

Now, what are Afflalo's perceived weaknesses? His shot can be cold and he fouls a lot with his aggressive defense? I'm fairly confidend that he can provide more than Lindsey... who I actually think has been overachieving so far.
  17. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

The sad part is that we may never know.
  18. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

AA instead of lenz - very minor issue and stuckey gets PT anyway. Listen, I have nothing against of playing those players, but I do not believe, as some do, that they are capable of turning things around.

As warthog said it is one thing to keep lead but coming back is absolutely another, especially in ECF and vs. Boston.

I'm in full agreement with those who say play AA and AJ, but it is in our situation IMO really small thing. We live and die depending on what starters do, THIS matters.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The bench has played 30.3% of the total playoff minutes so far compared to 69.7% for the starters.

So, yes, the starters are 2.3 times as important to our success. But 30% is too big to ignore.

The part that I will agree with is that as fans we can't do anything about any of this. We can't make our starters play better and we can't put our best bench players on the court.

Flip also can't make our starters play much better. The one thing that he has absolute contol over is which bench players to play. I think that is where our frustration comes from.
  20. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Correct if I'm wrong but I vaguely remember that in title run it was 80% starters mins and rest for bench.Still our, perceivable "best" bench players are not capable of correcting starters mistakes.