ECF Game 5 Celtics/Pistons Wed. May 28th, 8:30 PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by Dlev59, May 27, 2008.

1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I feel the same way. I like the way we are playing this year compared to the last two years. No shame in losing if you give it all you've got.
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Why did Dumars bring in Theo the Rattler ?
    Did he shoot himself in the foot ?
  3. crastinator

crastinator First Round Draft Pick

It wasn't just you. I've managed to turn my mother, who lives in CA, into enough of a Pistons fan that she watches a few games a year. During the game she called me and said, "the judges are being really unfair to the Pistons."

So it looked that way even to untrained eyes: hers and mine! :laugh:
  4. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

But Amir might pick up a ton of stupid fouls in a hurry... oh wait that is what Theo, and come to think of it most of the vets are doing.

But we get sick shot blocking with Theo that we don't get from... Oh wait no we don't.

Well at least Theo is better at guarding screen rolls than ... Oh wait.

Well at least we are getting some crucial seasoning for a guy we have locked up for a couple more years under contract... oh wait.

Well at least we are winning in spite of raping the future... oh wait.

Clearly giving Amir and Spellcheck (I can't believe I'm on the spellcheck bandwagon now, but only because guys (TAY) need rest) about 5 mins a game and keeping our vets fresh wouldn't help keep them fresh or out of foul trouble.

Nope, not at all.

FAIL = TWITCH SAUNDERS

Son of a %%%%%, this gimp really is only good for a 4-2 conf finals loss AT BEST.

Glad Prince is tired now, and didn't take games or more minutes off at the end of the regular season like we all were begging for.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm as frustrated as the rest of you, so I needed a little cool down period before commenting on this game.

Here are just a few troubling stats:

Rasheed Wallace attempted 3 shots from inside the arc and missed them all. He also attempted 0 free throws, got 4 rebounds and had 5 fouls. You wonder why we were outrebounded? That is a big part of it.

Our other inside stud, McDyess, had 2 FG attempts, 5 rebounds and 6 fouls. Oh yeah, and 3 turnovers. Sucky.

No worries though, cause we have a whole stable of capable bigs who can save the day. Ratliff- 2 rebounds in 14 minutes. Maxiell- 1 rebound in 11 minutes. What??? Samb could have got better position that these guys.

Lindsey seemed to play great though, right? Well, even though he was hyper active, it only resulted in 1 steal compared to 4 fouls. He put up 1 shot and bricked it. 2 assists were his major contribution. Let's see, 4 fouls in 11 minutes... this rookie sure is foul prone. Why not just play him 14 minutes and let the refs put him back on the bench?

Rip- pretty nice game. Except that he played 18% of the team's minutes and was responsible for 40% of our turnovers. 6 to's? Get a grip Rip. Don't ever throw that eyes closed cross-court crap ever again.

And a comment on the calls.
    We shot more free throws than they did, 37 to 30. However, we committed 30 fouls and they only committed 21. Isn't that a little strange? The explanation is that the vast majority of Boston's fouls were because they were fouling our shooters. Most of the calls against us were off the ball ticky tack crap. Those calls got them in the bonus and eventually contributed to giving them free throws.

The good news is that the NBA says they will punish flopping next year with fines. The bad news is that they will never actually enforce it to a degree that makes any difference.
  6. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Hasn't this been the case the last 2 or so years? It was Max last year, and Arron+Amir this year. They always tantalize us with vows of "it'll be different this year", and in the regular season, it is. But when the playoffs roll around, it's always the same old crap. Theo's not a bad player - in moderation. An old, washed up vet hoping to catch a coattail ride to a championship should not be playing ahead of players who are supposedly projected to be big parts of this team's future, especially when they are a net negative.
  7. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Pistons did not play a full 48 minutes. Disappointed in the loss as the end of the 2nd and full 3rd the mistakes i.e. TO's, hesitant to shoot, stagnant O, lack of reb, allowed the Celts to take a solid lead. Granted the Celtics made some lucky shots but the implosion from the Stones was very difficult to stomach. Yes the 4th qtr comeback was heartening but the Pistons still struggle to put in either consistent effort and/or keep their composure when challenged. This same trend has gone on years and it is frustrating to see it.

This series could have been over in 6 at worst.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This isn't a big deal, I don't think he could do those things before he hurt his elbow.

Hunter had for fouls to one steal, but he also had some dubious calls go against him. He had near steals on Pierce where he stole the ball and it went out of bounds on both sidelines. Hunter has played well.

The rebounding is more than one player. They had the same problems in '05 with Ben. They are getting beat from rotating to help on the wings.

What about the play late in the 4th when KG hip checked Hunter (I think) or Hamilton on a screen and (SURPRISE!!!!) it was a no call?

You think the media could find out why Sheed got T'd up rather than giving us the blanket can't have that at that moment BS? They must be too busy making up their stories. The makeup T on Perkins might have been bigger.

If you want to dwell on one play, what if CB shot the 2' lay-up instead of passing to Flip?

I am sorry, but at what point will BOS have to sit important players for long stretches due to foul trouble? When will DET be in the penalty with 10 minutes to go in the quarter, game 1000? They apparently are the quickest most agile guys in the history of the league. DET needs to be making an issue of this organizationally.
  9. PistonFanInCavsTown

PistonFanInCavsTown First Round Draft Pick

OK, am I just a homer or did anybody else think that the Flagrant 1 call on PJ Brown was justified? He came from behind the play, never left his feet, never saw the ball, and pushed Maxiell out of bounds while he was airborne.

I could *not* believe how long JVG and Jackson blathered on about that stupid call. When Tay was called for a foul later then JVG was challenging Mike Breen to justify how that's not the same, when (a) Tay was in front of the play and (b) Tay left his freakin' feet and made a play on the ball. Sorry, just had to vent on that one.

As far as the game goes, how many times now does it seem like the Pistons start out slowly in the 1st and 3rd quarter, and then end up using their big pushes simply to even up the score?

I just view the game from a layman's perspective, but to my eyes it appears that the Celts know how to shut down the Pistons' offense when the starters are out there. It's either that and/or the Pistons' offense is too deliberate when the starters are all on the floor. I really think if Flip subbed earlier/more often it would keep the Celts off guard.

What happened to Dyess? I noticed that a few times he caught the ball in his sweet spot that a Celtic was already in his grill, but to only get off two shots the entire game? And no Piston had more than 5 boards?

I also think Flip is effectively fouling the bigs out earlier by insisting on benching them along the lines of conventional wisdom. Who cares if Maxiell has 3 fouls in the 2nd quarter? He's not a start playing 35+ minutes. He finished with 11 minutes and the *same* 3 fouls!
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I think i've become so numb to the refs that i except us to get screwed every game, and just focus on other stuff within our control. I'm really starting to question why i watch the NBA.. I wish there was another league. They could title it "Not as good players as the NBA, but hey we're fair!!"

I'd watch that.
  12. PistonFanInCavsTown

PistonFanInCavsTown First Round Draft Pick

Is that the WNBA?

In games like these, where one team has the other "on the ropes", and then the losing team gets a remarkable surge of energy long enough to make things interesting only to ultimately come up short, it reminds me of some of the pro wrestling I used to see on Saturday mornings after the cartoons were over. As soon as I was told pro wrestling was fake I stopped watching. I could never watch pro basketball again if I was convinced it was rigged.

The Pistons actually pulled within 1 point late in the game but I never really expected them to take the lead.
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hard to get rebounds when Dice is in trouble on the bench, Tay and Sheed are outside on the perimeter, AJ is nailed to the bench and Ben Wallace is sitting at home in Cleveland....:sssh:
  14. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Maybe Flip can give Ben a call for Game 6?
  15. detteam

detteam All-Star

I think it was worth the $25K

RealGM: Wiretap Archives: Rasheed Fined $25,000 For Actions Following Game 5
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Not when you factor in the wonderful calls he's bound to get in the next 2 games.
  17. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Just as soon as Sheed feels we're out of the POs. He'll get his final technical, just like last season. Could happen in game 6 in a glorious blaze of idiocy.
  18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

But Stern agreed and will try and fine faking floppers next year. Go figure.