ECF Game 3 Celtics/Pistons Sat. May 24th 8:30 PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by Dlev59, May 23, 2008.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

ECF Game 3 Celtics/Pistons Sat. May 24th, 8:30 PM

The ECF comes to the Palace as Detroit now has HCA and the momentum. Another crucial game.

Can Detroit protect their house???
  2. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Celtics have yet to win on the road in the playoffs, and after losing their first home game this post-season, their confidence isn't likely to be very high. The overall problem for Boston on the road in the playoffs has been their inability to put a complete game togther. Against Atlanta, their problem was entirely on defense--they scored at about the same rate on the road in that series as they did at home, but they couldn't get any stops in the 4th quarter in Atlanta. Against Cleveland, it was a mix of things, sometimes a few defensive breakdowns, but more of a struggle on offense. They couldn't score when they needed to in Cleveland.

So, as long as the Pistons play a good, solid, complete game at home, they should be OK. They probably won't even need to execute as well as they did in the last 3 quarters of Game 2. I really think that's the reality, not just chest-thumping homerism. Maybe the Celtics will suddenly get a really big contribution from someone off their bench on the road--maybe--but nobody's done for it them yet. As pleasant a surprise as it was for us to get such a big game from Stuckey last night, there was at least the precedent of him playing big while subbing for CB against Orlando, both at home and on the road. The Celtics haven't gotten that much production from anyone on their bench yet throughout the playoffs, not even against Atlanta. They're going to need to do A LOT of things they haven't been able to do yet away from home.
  3. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I clicked around a bit today on one of the big Celtics blogs, and I have to say I'm a bit mystified by how confident most of them seem to be. I don't see any sign that they're even close to panicking, despite losing their first home game of the playoffs and still with no road wins.

From when I checked during the Cleveland series, and a bit of the Atlanta series as well, the prevailing mood on that blog was almost throwing in the towel after all the big road losses. Few of them thought they would actually lose either of those series, but the overwhelming sentiment after those road losses was a sort of resignation that they wouldn't be able to win it all. Each road loss brought lots of comments along the line of "they're not as good as they looked during the regular season, and even if they get past this or that series, there's no way they can win it all this year." But after last night? Almost nothing like that at all. There's a lot of "the Pistons can't play any better than that, but the Celtics can."

Well...I'm not so sure. Maybe all their confidence is stemming from the fact that Ray Allen finally had a good game, and maybe it just brings them to back to when all 3 of their stars were producing simultaneously during the regular season. They were usually close to unbeatable whenever that happened. But Allen went from averaging 9 PPG in the Cleveland series, and 9 in Game 1 against the Pistons, to 25 last night. His regular season average was right in between those, at 17. Is he really going to AVERAGE 25 PPG for the rest of this series? I sure don't see that happening. And even if he starts getting into double digits more regularly, surely they'll still need some of their role players to step up more, which they haven't done at home in the first two games, and are even less likely to do on the road.

Not that I'm saying this series is over, or anything even close to that. But I'd sure rather be where we are than where they are, especially considering their terrible history on the road so far this postseason.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Re: ECF Game 3 Celtics/Pistons Sat. May 24th 8:00 PM

If you look on the realgm forum, there are a lot of doubters on the Celtics board.

I would say that the Pistons have finally reached a level where the other teams and even their fans have a healthy fear of our team. Because we don't have the flash, it is sometimes hard for them to understand why we are good, but it seems to have sunk in now.

On the other hand, there is also a lot of their fans who think we just played our best basketball last game and we will stumble.

One other thing I'm noticing is that this series is pretty classy so far. The comments from the players and coaches in the wins and losses are very professional and respectful. Hopefully that lasts.
  5. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I was just struck by the disparity on celticsblog.com. The overall mood seems so different there in this instance from what it was when they were losing on the road to Atlanta and Cleveland. Of course, that might change if the Pistons get a solid win in Game 3, with the Celtics really struggling again on the road.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

As classy as those a-holes can be. Players never shake hands until the series are over, but Sheed & KG have been after each game. Sheed chased down Doc Rivers to say something to him also.
  7. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Flip and KG have had a little embrace at midcourt just before the start of each game so far.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Doc Rivers also went above and beyond to downplay Rip's elbow to KG's face. He said something like, it should have been a flagrant 1, but those things happen in the course of the game out of frustration and Rip is a great guy.

Also, let's appreciate the fact that KG didn't overreact, fake injury, or generally be a wuss in any respect when he got hit. That probably saved Rip a game and some $$$.
  9. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

Let us look at this from a positive point of view. When the fans throw the towels, Celtics won the series. So the fans were wrong. How about this time the fans are wrong again? They still believe which means this series is going to the pistons for sure.

10. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

But it's not that Celtics fans were "wrong" in the last couple of series; almost none of them thought they would actually get eliminated by Cleveland or by Atlanta. However, as the road losses kept piling up, it seemed like they were getting more and more pessimistic about their chances of winning it all this year, which of course couldn't be proven one way or the other until their postseason ends.

But in spite of actually losing at home last night, a lot of those fans now seem confident in a way they definitely weren't in the last round. I'm not saying there's any predictive power in that; it just strikes me as kind of weird.
  11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thank goodness we don't do that around here when the team loses. :)
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

9.7 DR
    All the Ps did was win one tough game. And it took everything they had. I don't think anyone has scored more than 100 in Boston P/Os. Their defensive shifting was superb.
    Everyone guarded everyone. Rarely did I see a mismatch.
    -
    I find it hard to believe celts can't bring it on the road. Didn't need to. But now, their backs are against the wall. 9.9 DR
  13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I think it was because they played well, and they think we won with our offense which won't happen again. I know what you mean, the prevailing sentiment is that they will definitely take one in DET.

Also if you watched the CLE series, the last two road games they played wells so that's maybe a case for optimism. It is a little strange considering after the CLE/ATL losses they were having nervous breakdowns.

edited to add;

as for the game, we need a big effort out of Max before Sheed dies, and Dice can't walk anymore. Play Amir/AA Flip. We are at home!

I have no idea what to expect for this game. This team marches to the beat of their own drum (which seems to break alot; they could use a new one).

Going crazy with the edit button,

Also i wish KG/Sheed would stop hugging so damn much. They like have to find eachother after the game to whisper things to eachother. All the other players i think just walked off.

I feel like Sheed can't play properly when he has this i love you opposing player thing. It's like Ben again.
  14. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

They didn't play well in Cleveland, certainly not on offense. They scored 77 in Game 4 and only 69 in Game 6. If they put up numbers like that in Detroit, we're not going to have much trouble beating them.
  15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

They had a chance to win 2 games there though, and in one they got killed by the refs. I don't think CLE scored much more than them. The score was Pacer/Piston esque.

I hope your right about the winning part.
  16. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Sure, they had a chance to win those games because they were playing good D, but like I said earlier, they couldn't put a complete game together. They couldn't score AT ALL in those games. I guess the newfound optimism among some Celtics fans probably comes down to Ray Allen finally scoring again, but like I said, it's gonna take more than that.
  17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

18. max

max All-Star

I am enjoying watching a real NBA team instead of that weird no PF 3-pt shooting Orlando team. This have been more fun so far, as long as we are winning.
  19. max

max All-Star

Any picks?

Pistons 97 Celts 82
  20. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Yes, that was extremely sportsmanlike of KG, especially in an era when some players (e.g., Ginobli) have elevated flopping to an art form. Quite a contrast to what Nash did in last year's Phoenix/SA series when Horry hit him. Nash's overreaction backfired, because it faked out his own teammates and led to the critical suspension of Stoudemire.