ECF Game 3 At Cleveland May 27th, 8:30 PM

Discussion in '2007 Playoffs' started by Dlev59, May 25, 2007.

1. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Dear Pistons,

Please keep moving yourselves and the ball on offense. When you look at the tape, you'll agree, I think, that you get much easier shots when you do this. Plus, the movement on offense seems often to translate to movement on defense. Plus, when you aren't throwing up early out of rhythm jump shots there are fewer long rebounds that allow Cleveland to get down court before you've set up your defense.

It's okay to set up for isolation post-ups, and even for the guys posting up to dribble himself into position. But please, the other four guys, can you not just stand around, can you at least pretend to make a cut or something, or even switch places around the perimeter. thanks.

me

oh, and pass this on to Chauncey and Rip. I don't know where they are.
  2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

BINGO.

I said the same thing even a couple of games in the Bulls series. The lack of player/ball movement is what`s killing us.

Please, please nobody say somebody is fatigued, that is a bunch of BS.
  3. professor

nobody is fatigued. and i can't explain this problem, which seems to me to be mostly mental since the cavs can't physically keep you from moving without the ball. so it seems to me to be something along the lines of a brain fart, a kind of forgetting, even, dare i say, a mild form of panic. one of the things about moving without the ball and about moving the ball when you have it is that it requires a certain trust that even though you aren't individually controlling the play, the process of movement and ball movement, will add up to something that is good for the team, somewhere during the possession. now and then, sure, a good shot will just not fall or a pass might go astray or get dropped or what have you. but most of the time, something good is going to happen. so i start to wonder if at those times the pistons, who are all decent offensive players (I mean, decent enough to be tempted by the belief that they can take their guy and get the bucket we need), lose that trust, especially if Cleveland starts to heat up or we have a couple of bad luck possessions.
  4. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

jmax has turned around several playoff games this year. he is an impact player. i don't think you can simply say that not playing him wouldn't have helped win it. he can defend better than webber and he's super aggressive on the offensive boards. gooden wouldn't have been busting jump shots in his face.
    flip murray came in and did what our other guards could not. he went to the hole strong and finished. flip murray put pressure on thier defense. i disagree that him playing more wouldn't have helped us win tonight. i think flip playing instead of chauncey turning it over and rip bricking would have helped us win. delfino hit his first shot on a good move on lebron yet he gets no more minutes. we have to reward our bench we have to play the players that are doing well on the court. the strategy of playing the starters no matter how well they are playing is why we are losing. we aren't built like san antonio or utah we can win without several of our players having good games. i mean who besides rasheed and jmax have had good games??
  5. Dlev59

I hear you Professor.

However, how can something that always worked so well in the past lack trust now? I mean, we haven`t even tried to utilize the crisp ball movement and cutting that made our offense look so potent and effecient.

What amazes me is that a veteran, an All Star, Finals MVP player like Billups, can be so incompetent in 3 straight games!

Let a rookie, yes a rookie out play him, and the kicker - in a contract year, in the ECF!!!!

Simply unbelievable.......
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I dunno about the Pistons, but I am feeling pretty fatigued this morning.
  7. professor

Well, I feel like I have seen some of that movement, sporadically, and it always seems to lead to a little run, an admittedly subjectively gauged increased "smoothness", and upped intensity on defense (see 3rd quarters in this series, games 1 and 2 in chicago, 2nd half of game 3 in chicago) and then here and there in other games.
  8. detroitsfynest

detroitsfynest First Round Draft Pick

I am very worried about rip and cbill our bigs are totally outplaying our allstar guards.fmurray and cdelf gave some good minutes but all in all lebron finally decided to make some superstar plays last night and made some pretty ridiculous 3 balls which i really dont expect him to keep making...... but if he does we could be in trouble.That being said we won 2 games basically being carried by the bench and sheed and lost game 3 cus bron bron decided to have a dwade like performance in the 4th I expect us to win game 4 and close it out at home
  9. Dlev59

Agreed.

I guess the key is to consitently move the ball and move without the ball. It is obvious the Pistons are at their best when this happens.

And there is nothing like making a few easy buckets to increase that intensity on defense.

Let`s be honest, if Flip sticks with Billups for an extended amount of time, quick, timely passes and cutting to the hoop will be the only way for the Pistons to be successful when CB is on the floor.
  10. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

Out of all of the analysis of how our guards have underperformed, lack of ball movement, and excessive iso's in game 3, this quote right here is the best analysis of them all. WE DO NOT NEED TO PANIC, NO ONE ANTICIPATED THIS SERIES WOULD BE A SWEEP. CLEVLEAND GOT THEIR WIN OUT OF DESPERTATION AND WE WILL TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS ON TUESDAY. GUARANSHEED
  11. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Right now, this team is totally out of sync. It is all mental. For some reason, they seem to be carrying this baggage from last year when facing this team. They never recovered over their "choke" play from last year and promptly did a no-show against Miami.

This mental lapse is being led by CB...switching over (with no discernible pattern) to Tay, Dice, and now Rip. I don't think that any person who has watched the pistons this year, can be feeling good about the inconsistency shown, especially at home.

To win it all, everyone must crash the boards!!!! I mean crashing on every play. You have to force action upon yourself and this is one way of involving, dissemination, and creating energetic associations. I want to know why Flip Murray is not getting Bonzi-type offensive rebounds? He can easily get 5-7 every game.

If this group can not bring it, then bring in JMAX, Delfino, Murray, Naz, Amur and anyone else.

Here is standard example and I will pick on Flip Murray (one of my favorite players who is mentally sloppy in showing his huge upside). Why does he (along with the wing players, plus CB) just float around the long-wings when he follows through a set play? Is this in the playbook? Why does he actually lag behind CB when he is bringing up the ball. Is this in the playbook? Why does he not use his speed and agility around the basket (slashing down the lane) when the big men on the wings get the ball and the paint is continuously open? There is absolutely no slashing from anyone. Amazing!

What-in-the-world are the Assistants getting paid for? They should be knocking some heads together. If we don't have any leadership (and we don't have a strong go-to leader) who can show his bicep to another teammate, then we better start getting it from someone from the bench.

Without a whole lot of recent luck, we could be 0-3! Hello, anyone out there?
  12. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

Pass I understand exactly what you saying. However, it is not luck if you have not played well in 2 games straight but out executed the other team down the stretch in both games to come out victorious. Luck has nothing to do with it, although we did not play well we did WIN both games at home, not 1 but both. The team is a little out of sync right now but we must remind ourselves that we are up 2-1 and we still have homecourt advantage. I dont think anyone here anticipated a sweep over cleveland. We will play better tonite go up 3-1 and take care of business on Thurs. We have only lost 3 games in these playoffs and our execution in games late has been fantastic. Give these guys a chance to regroup and prove us wrong in our pessimistic thinking. We are not down 2-1, we are up 2-1. If we happen to lose we still have homecourt so the series is still in our favor. Detroit will bouce back we almost always do. Take it easy guys it was just one game. We need to look at the big picture.