ECF Game 3 At Cleveland May 27th, 8:30 PM

Discussion in '2007 Playoffs' started by Dlev59, May 25, 2007.

1. Play On Players

Play On Players First Round Draft Pick

Where the hell was 'Sheed in the 4th?

This thing WILL NOT go back to the Detroit City tied. Uh-uh. No way.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Thanks to the guys who watched Chat tonight. I'm not sure who it was but I'm assuming D4E was a key player for PF. :)

Yeah it gets negative and folks are entitled to that. I got some crap last game for arguing against it, which I suppose goes with the territory. It's a fine line between being a fan and being the admin.

It's usually that the negativity drowns out positivity and that makes it hard to read and watch at the same time. Personally, I need a break because my one reward all year is getting to enjoy some playoff basketball.

Wasn't a poorly played game by the Pistons as a whole. Basically Billups and Hamilton let us down. I thought Flip had a lot of guts to sit Billups for Flip Murray. I almost wish he had done that more in the second half.

Hamilton and Billups have a synergy. When you disrupt Hamilton, Billups can still have a good game but if you disrupt Billups, Hamilton really can't get off.

Some poor decisions down the stretch hurt us. It would have been nice to run some more pick and pops for Dyess and Wallace, but instead we opted for quick shot opportunities.

Daniel Gibson outplayed Billups. Chauncey's pretty humble on the podium tonight. That's good because the Mr. Big MVP personality sucks.

We need to get Tay back to missing 8 or 9 shots a game so he can defend LeBron. We simply weren't physical enough and didn't make Lebron earn his points at the line with his suspect shooting.

I still think we can gut this out with Billups sucking, but it won't be pretty, so brace yourself, say a prayer to your deity of choice and turn down the TNT announcers because Doug Collins pretty much had announcer love making with LeBron for most of the game and it was really icky.

Who woulda guessed we would get 3 straight well officiated games? I still think Bavetta needs to retire. When Charles Barkley beats you in a footrace and you can't see a foot out of bounds when you stare at it....
  3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I was going to start a separate thread to unload on Saunders but I'll keep it on this thread. What does Flip Saunders bring? This team still scores in the high 70s, low 80s in the playoffs. Wasn't this guy supposed to bring in a great offense to usher the Pistons into the new NBA? What offensive adjustments have been made in this series? It's like watching the Carlisle- and Brown-coached teams. Basically, what Saunders brings is more low percentage shots. Sometimes, I cannot tell the difference between the current team and the LB teams.
  4. roscoe36

lol. Man, if you told people they would get the same stuff from a Flip team that they got from an LB team, there would be partying downtown outside Comerica!!! :)
  5. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I liked LB's emphasis on rebounding and defense, but his teams were difficult to watch from an offensive standpoint, save the 2004 Finals. This team relies too much on 3s in crucial moments. Tonight was a prime example. The Pistons, in my view, have morphed back into those LB teams, but without Ben Wallace. Any personality that Flip Sr. has tried to stamp on this team has been obscured.
  6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Gazoo,

Our adjustments have been pretty poor. And if we don't have plans for a team that goes after Billips, why not? What did we expect?

Our bigs have scored more as a result of the harassment of Billips and Rip. We let Tay handle the ball and he made the same turnovers this series. Sometimes the ball comes back to Billips. Not a bad idea but no flow from it so far. We usually exploit one on one match ups. But out of any flow, this is not a real strategy.

As bad as the Cavs offense is, they actually pass the ball around off of Le Bron.

Still, the main reason we lost is that we lost the defensive intensity.
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Speaking of Comerica...only the Cleveland Indian players partied there this weekend with their sweep of the Tigers and then they stayed in the locker room to see their city mates take one from the Pistons....
  8. Play On Players

Play On Players First Round Draft Pick

I thought that 3 by Tayshaun in one of the last (or the last, I already forgot 'cause my memory is %%%%) possessions was a good shot. I just wish it was 'Sheed who took it.
  9. max

max All-Star

Lets see, Pistons were down by 4 with 30 some sec's left when Tay missed his 3. Then James hit that tough shot to put them up by 6.

Just did not execute down the stretch tonight.

Couple of things. Overall the games have been called fairly. You know James will get his calls but it has not been overlly blatant.

Secondly we complain about the attention James gets but the media has been trying to sell the Pistons and the guys have not been showing up. They were all over Rip when he had a good 1st half in game 1. Mentioned serval times Sheed and his great play. They especially want to prop up Billups and are all over it when he hits a shot in the 4th. Other than Sheed the starters are not putting together complete games.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Ok, lots of comments here on both boards. Lots of ways to write the game up. In the end, Cleveland made shots. A fade-a-way triple from Bron. Big Z hit a fairly long one. Gibson connected. Gooden too. All in crunch time. The Pistons were storming back as per normal, but Cleveland weathered the storm this time. Now, can they do it two games in a row?

On a personal note, this means I am going to game 5. I look forward to watching us close Cleveland out this Thursday night.

Unbelievable. No assists and practically no points from either Rip or Billups in the first half. For the game, our front line came up huge, with at least 15 points each from Webber, Sheed, and Tay. But Webber I liked the most cause he kept going inside. Him picking up his 4th foul early in the 3rd quarter may have sidetracked out usual 3rd quarter surge for a moment, although we did manage a 12-2 run starting about midway into that quarter.

Unfortunately, Dyess made a few outside shots. Again, unless he makes like 6 or 7 of those, it does nothing but hurt the team. We need inside play, not jumpshots.

Typical Flip Saunders. Maxiell gets 15 points in a game, so gets shutout of the rotation in this one. I don't like that. His defensive energy was sorely missed.

Flip Murray did ok. Got some points, gave up some too. Still, he was giving Billups a good long rest. Indeed, since things were going ok, why did Flip bring Billups back for 90 seconds to end the 1st half. And Tay too. Hey, let them sit and relax a bit. 90 seconds ain't going to decide the game.

Dale Davis is another guy missing lately-against Big Z, the guy Saunders said he would get minutes against. No Hunter-but I won't say much negative about that.

Great to see Tay hit the one triple. Not great to see him not getting any rest in the 2nd half. Billups too saw no rest in that 2nd half. Basically, our rotations are nowhere. Flip might have a plan, but I doubt he can remember it during the game whatever that plan might be.

The Pistons did have a darn good defensive stretch in the 2nd half, with Murray in the game. We all hate triples, but when Sheed hit two straight followed by the one from Billups, it sure looked nice. Yes, I love for the ball to go inside, but triples sure can help too, especially with plays designed to get nice wide open ones.

It is surprising what occurred between the halves. In the first half, Murray plays for Billups, and gets some scoring for us. Instead of going back to this to give Billups some rest, now Murray comes in the game for Rip. What, trying to find something that won't work? Does make you wonder. Things don't have to go perfect, but if they can go halfway right, then give your starters at least a bit of a rest to start the 4th. In this one, Saunders failed to rest his starters, and indeed had them all back out on the floor with 8 minutes to go in the game. Kind of early. Did they have it in them-they did execute offensively. But just maybe with a bit more energy left in the tank they could have made those shots a bit harder to make for Cleveland. Or Maxiell could have simply played. His long arms and quickness would have surely made Cleveland miss a couple of those shots. GO PISTONS!!!!!PS-Nice shot by Delfino off that fancy move of his.
  11. roscoe36

Flip had 3 assists! :)
  12. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

13. roscoe36

14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's all in the numbers....Billups has hit 13 pts in each game scoring wise, but is averaging 4.7 assists and a whopping 5.7 turnovers in this series. To many three ball attempts by him tonight. (2-8) He has got to find away to penetrate and get to the line for at least 10 attempts a game. Turnovers may have been the key tonight despite the Kings accomplishments. A superstar stats like 32-9-9. There was a TV stat that indicated that when La Bron has scored 20+ they were 8-0, I think (now 9-0) Somehow or another we have to find away to defeat that stat even if he exceeds it and the Cavs two more times .

In this game, the stats were almost even. Both teams got off 67 shots, but the Cavs made 3 more than we did. Rebounding was even and the 3 ball shooting and Ft shooting was just about even. The difference could have been the TO's as they had 11 and we had 15. We even one or two buckets taken away due to TO"s.

I hope the Pistons know now that the Cavs are in this partyfor real and we got to get the two starting guards on track and get this offense in gear. These games are to close for comfort and old fashion beating by the Pistons of 10+ points or more in game 4 should setup a confidence win at home in game five. Like Roscoe said if CB is really off, then Rip seems to follow suit, so those two need to get on the same page as the two of them should be able to offset Mr. James.
  15. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

why was rip on the court at all during the 4th?? why isn't flip murray getting more minutes? why isn't jmax getting more minutes? why isn't fino getting more minutes? what good is a bench if you don't go to them when they are outplaying the starters. flip needs to get fired if we lose any more games in this series.
  16. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree with you.

It's funny how the commentators have been singing Flip's praises for playing and developing his bench all post season.

Although I think he has improved from last year, he still has a long way to go in trusting and utilizing his bench.

There are still tonnes of examples of times he has screwed up, IMO. Several of them have already been posted (by Lee maybe? too tired/lazy to go back and check). Bringing Tay and CB back in at the end of the 2nd, not enough (any) rest for most of the starters in the 2nd half, little burn from J-Max after a MONSTER performance in game 3, etc.
  17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Man reading some posts from some of you guys is hilarious. This post may sound a bit pretentious, and somewhat self righteous as if I am some all knowing basketball God, but lemme chime in anyway, top reasons for tonights loss:
    1. Chauncey Billups. No rhythm, no control, extremely poor play.
    2. Rip, again, no rhythm, no control, and is not moving without the ball everytime down court. We should keep Rip moving even on plays that are not designed for him, all those bumps could cause switches and favorable matchups.
    3. Chris Webber's Defense down the stretch in the fourth. 'Bron has trouble on the P&R when Sheed is matced up in the play, but when it's Webber-it's almost too easy, he should have sat Webb down the stretch, but Webb was our most productive offensive player in the fourth- CATCH 22, or is it 23.
    4. NOT RESPECTING DANIEL GIBSON. Gibson is having an impact on this series, much like Tay 5 years ago. IT's NOT A FLUKE!!!!!!!! He's doing a heck of a job on defense, he's not afraid to take the big shot, and dammit he's hitting them. I'm not saying that he's a player we have to key in on, but it's obvious that we're not respecting his court presence. When Billups backs down Gibson, the rook is flat out shutting him down, and when Tay tried it, same result. The reason is that they think the rook is just getting lucky blocks and strips, NO!!! He has their number, give him some respect so we can score on him.
    Some of y'all are moanin and groanin about a bunch of crap. Max gettin in this game would not have won it, our bigs delivered tonight (sans Webber's P&R D down the stretch.), we didn't need the Brahma. Murray gave great mins, Delfino played well. But Neither Murray or Delfino playing more mins tonight would have won this game; the only way we win this game is if someway/somehow Rip and BigHead would have gotten thier isht together and delivered, they didn't and we lost-end of story. Can SanAnton win with Parker and Ginobli TOTALLY SUCKING, can Utah win if Deron Williams and Boozer TOTALLY SUCK.....NO!!!!!!! If Billups and Hamilton don't figure out that the playoffs have indeed started and they are in the ECF (like Rasheed has- WOW the irony, be more focused like Sheed:pound: ) Then this team will not be playing for the big prize in JUNE. Rip and Chauncey have been very unfocused, undiscliplined and unreliable since the playoffs started, Sheed and Tay have delivered from day one with total focus, comittment and energy, problem now is that Tay has his hands full guarding LeBron and can't deliver 18-22ppg, the backcourt needs to finally step it up.
  18. linwood

linwood All-Star

KGREG,

I couldn't agree more. Batman and Robin combined for a total of 2 points in the first half. 2 points! These two MUST snap out of it and deliver.

The other big problem I notice with the offense is a serious lack of movement. I can't really blame one player; it seems to me that when one player has the ball, the rest of the guys watch him. Where is the help or the cutter on the double team?

Even with horrible play from our superstar guards, the Pistons took 2, and lost a close one. As soon as they show up, this series should be over.
  19. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

^

Was Webb's PnR defense part of the reason Lebron scored 12 pointsor was he just on fire (didn't watch the game) b/c if so J-Max definately would've helped out; even Dice being in in the 4th would've been better. This series is so low scoring, and so close that it seems like every defensive stop/shot is a HUGE deal.

I know Tay sprained his ankle in the 1st so maybe that's why Lebron exploded. He still played 44 minutes. Gotta love Flip. :rolleyes1:

Hope this isn't a lingering problem.
  20. 4cwebb

4cwebb First Round Draft Pick

I think Flip Sr. had a tough time finding minutes for JMax in game 3 because CWebb, Sheed and Dyess all played pretty well in their first half minutes. JMax only got into game 2 because Sheed picked up 2 quick fouls and Dyess got cracked in the nose soon afterwards. I think Flip Sr. may have been a bit too cautious with JMax's minutes since this was not a home game and because the main three guys were all playing pretty well.

And, as KGREG pointed out, CWebb was the best offensive player for the Pistons early on in the 4th quarter, aggressively taking the ball to the basket and earning free throws. His defense was probably lacking on the P&R (I couldn't watch the game, either), but considering that JMax was 1-6 from the foul line the previous game, if the Cavs were just going to foul guys going to the basket, there was a better than average chance that JMax wouldn't have been able to fully capitalize on all those opportunities.

Delfino definitely should've gotten a little run at the end of the 3rd quarter/beginning of the 4th to give Tay some rest for the last 8 minutes of the game.