1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

ECF Game 2 Cleveland May 24 8PM

Discussion in '2007 Playoffs' started by max, May 22, 2007.

1. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

The fact of the matter is we relax at home and we will play harder on the road, and I can almost guransheed a win out of the 2 games in Cleveland. Predictable Pistons will come home and game 5 will be a toss-up. We all know this team is mega-talented when are they gonna realize it themselves and attain their rightful spot as the greatest team in the past 5 years. That's the only reason I get so down on this team at times because I can see our potential as a truly dominant team when we want to be. Like I stated in chat 2-0 is 2-0, whether down to the wire or by blowout. 10-2 in the playoffs looking for win 11. Lets get r done.

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Pistons looked like a Volkswagon doing 80 MPH downhill, through a foot of snow. Gotta feel sorry for Lebron..........or NOT:pound:

3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Sheed is a great interview. I think the pistons will be more focused. maybe the pistons believed that homecourt game them an edge until they realized the fans can't hit shot for them.

I thought Delf did a decent job on lebron. He got picked 1 time for a lebron oop but he came away with some sweet o-rebs.

4. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Great post.

I couldn't agree more.

5. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

A real nail-biter, even moreso than the first game.

Sheed's bucket at the end was a real classic. If we go on to win it all, this shot will get a lot of airtime. Sheed's indominatable will to win almost seems to be having supernatural effects on the outcome of the game.

Rip defended the last drive by Lebron to perfection. There was some contact, but it was not the kind or amount of contact that will usually result in a foul call in that situation.

Charles and Magic were very hard on Coach Brown for playing for the last shot in that final possession, when they were down by one with something like 30 seconds to go, instead of going for a very quick score. I think what may have happened is that Coach Brown, through inexperience, was still thinking too much about the play at the end of the first game, where Lebron drew a lot of criticism for passing to an open three rather than driving for a bucket and/or a foul. It was almost as if Brown (and Lebron) were fixated on redeeming themselves for that play in this game, and forgot that the end-of-the game situations were really very different between the two games. There was more time on the clock when Cleveland began its last possession in tonight's game, and the Cavs were only down by one, not two, at the start of that possesion. Charles and Magic were right: the Cavs should have gone for a very quick bucket tonight. If they did not make it, they could foul the Pistons immediately, and be assured of at least one more possession to go for the win.

6. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

James is 12-34 shooting in the series so far.............:pound: :pound: :pound:
    Gotta Love the Defense................:) :) :) :)

7. max

max All-Star

I agree. Also its been a custom to not let a close game be decided by a call that could go either way. Any other player in that situation would not have gotten the whistle.

And then Brown gets a tech to seal his teams fate, plus they have no timeouts left due to bad in-game management.

I also agree with explositivity. Pistons could be a lot better than they are. No excuse to take the 2nd quarter off. I could barely watch that display.

Prince, Dyess, and others are bound to start hitting some shots. Cavs defense is not this good. Pistons and the Nets are making them look like one of the greatest defensive teams of all time here.

Up 2-0 and that better than being 1-1 or 0-2.

8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

yeah but Tay is 1-19:mad: :brick: if he goes 8 for 19, these are 7 point vicitories instead of last minute nailbiters

9. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

What a game for those that love the drama. Sure it's not the high flying Western conference style but defense is a thing of beauty. I was biting my nails more than Lebron and I wasn't confident at all that the boys would pull this one out. If we could bottle Sheed's energy and will and resell it that would be the next million dollar product. His shot that put the Pistons ahead for good was so unbelievable, almost Jordanesque and nothing was going to stop that ball from going in. Meanwhile on the other end of the court the Cavaliers were just cursed at the end missing 3 shots that all could have gone in. Poor Lebron he says the right things at the press conference but inside it must be eating him up to see his teammates just not come through for him. Maxiell is making a case for more minutes as well as Delfino. Positive young energy is worth its weight in gold during the playoffs. Flipper needs to start limiting Lindsey Hunter's minutes unless he's needed as a defensive stopper. As soon as Lindsey comes in the offense comes to a screeching halt. Last comment on the game, it's obvious to me that Tay is just expending too much energy on Lebron to get his game untracked so he needs to get some rest as well as letting other players (Rip, Delfino and even the Brahma) take their turns guarding LBJ.

Just wanted to add I thought it was really a sweet moment seeing Chauncey at the after game press conference holding his little daughter. He seems so at ease in his role as team leader, all around great player and doting Daddy in one nice package. I was waiting for a reporter to lob a question his way about his daughter but none were forthcoming.

10. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Quick notes:
    • Jame's reputation is getting tarnished
    • Varejao can thank the pistons for making him better than he is
    • Cavs guards can't run an offense
    • Cavs will never win with Brown and some in this forum have the nerve to knock Flip's coaching abilities...what a cosmic joke
    • Another lousy game from CB
    • Tay needs to gain his confidence back and quick
    • Cavs still will not have an answer for Flip Murray
    • Sheed and Maxiell to the rescue
    • CWEBB came out with some great energy...thank you
    • To win it all, you need the right bounces and some luck...pistons are on a streak of plus two

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Who was the +/- leader? Tayshaun Prince.

He's spending the energy where the team needs it most. He's missing layups, floaters, jumpers, you name it... and he is still the most important player out there for us. Even though it is tough to shoot when you are tired, there is a bit of a slump mixed in. He'll pull out of it.

But the job he is doing on D is a thing of beauty. 5 points and 4 turnovers in the 2nd half for LBJ!

12. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

These first two grind-it-out defensive games remind me of several of the games in the 2004 ECF series between Indiana and Detroit, won, of course, by the Pistons on their way to a championship. The roles are reversed in this series, however. Indiana hosted the first two games of the 2004 series, and was the favorite (albeit a slight favorite) to win the series. Detroit has home court in this year's ECF, and seems to be a clear favorite to beat Cleveland. The outcome of the first two games was also different: Detroit earned a split of the two games in Indiana three years ago, while the Cavs lost both of their games here.

For comparison purposes -- and to dredge up a little nostalgia -- here are the results of the six games in that series of three years ago:

Game 1 on Saturday, May 22: Detroit loses at Indiana, 78-74
    Game 2 on Monday, May 24: Detroit wins at Indiana, 72-67
    Game 3 on Wednesday, May 26: Indiana loses at Detroit, 85-78
    Game 4 on Friday, May 28: Indiana wins at Detroit, 83-68
    Game 5 on Sunday, May 30: Detroit wins at Indiana, 83-65
    Game 6 on Tuesday, Jun 1: Indiana loses at Detroit, 69-65

13. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    You got it.

14. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I can't say I'm too unhappy with Tayshaun's play. He isn't scoring, but he is busting C'mon! James' ass on D. It's a thing of beauty. He looked like he was going to cry at the end of this game.

15. 4cwebb

4cwebb First Round Draft Pick

Sheed's best quote (imho): "they did everything else to give me technical fouls; they need to make that flopping a technical foul"

Classic. I couldn't agree more. No need to flop around like a fish when you're matched up against a guy your own size.

I couldn't watch the game, so it's difficult to judge energy and what not just from the radio guys, but big props to JMax for bringing it in the first quarter. I thought that he was the key, and that CWebb playing solid (other than the shooting) when the other two bigs were out was helpful as well.

Don't know what happened in the second quarter, but as has been the case for the past three games, when the Pistons are down at half, they just seem to come out in the 3rd quarter with much better focus. The offense came to life, CWebb got on the boards, and Pistons basically chopped the Cavs big lead down to 3. Plenty manageable as far as Sheed was concerned.

I'm waiting for video of the last play to load on nba.com before passing any judgment, but thank goodness Hughes felt the pressure, and Varejao as well. Love seeing Sheed in post-up position on the go ahead shot.

16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Two things, Anderson Vereajo and Lindsey Hunter entered the game. Their energy went up with Vereajo and ours flatlined with Hunter running the point. This turned into a 7-0 run for the Cavs and we couldn't recover despites CB return.

17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I had a great time at the Palace watching a very exciting game. We started out with 2 hrs down on the floor watching the Pistons shoot. Tay seems to be in quite a slump, even while practicing. After the game, my buddy got his picture taken with Magic. We met Alan Anderson while eating during halftime. The only player at the game tonight I shook hands with was Damon Jones. Still a big fan of his.

The game featured a lot of inside play from the Pistons, while Bron tried option number 2, being the whole offense for Cleveland-with the result being his team basically stood around and watched. Back to the drawing board.

Webber did a whole lot of that inside play. We did not always score, but we had Cleveland totally pinned under the glass and never in position for fast breaking. I see Cleveland remains quite patriotic, stuck on 76 points again. And the Pistons likewise scored the same as last game. It has been noted that Cleveland, as a franchise, has never come back in a series after losing the first two games. But just like us winning the first 3 against Chicago, history just gives us history. The Pistons still got to win 2 more. I bet they come out focused in these next two and get the job done.

Bron kept trying to read our defense, and kept reading it all wrong. Or were we just always a step ahead. Just when he would decide what to do, we would counter-like we were reading their minds. Some good coaching, and some smart playing, is happening.

The 2nd quarter was a bit of a disaster. It started out with Hunter playing point, which he has no clue how to do. Then even worse, they brought out Flip Murray. With Hunter, we could not score. With Murray, if anyone bothered to notice, our defensive rotations broke down every single time down.

Now Jason Maxiell came on like gang busters in that 2nd quarter, and righted the ship, but then inexplicably, we went in another direction. No Maxiell, soon a Cleveland lead.

Dyess was giving it his all tonight, but he had not much to give. Why we played him so much, and never went to Dale Davis at all is very questionable. But we won none the less.

Nice to see Carlos hit a couple of shots. But did anyone notice the start of the 4th quarter? Delfino at guard. Billups, Delfino, Tay, JMAX, and Sheed. Pretty much exactly like it should be (except I would be resting Tay and playing Amir here.) Our team kept organized. Five good solid NBA ball players who really know how to play the game. The starters took over after the first four minutes and finished the job. Except Dyess was in for Webber. I think Webber had given everything he could muster by the 3rd quarter. Good game for him in all.

Rip was pretty good as usual. Sheed was the hero for his inside play, clutch 3 late, and that tough closer in shot. (Tough for most, routine for Sheed.) I did not like that risky pass in the last minute with us down a point, but other than that I thought he played just about flawless.

Billups was not playing within himself. We still have not solved them trapping Billups, but I think a lot of it is on Billups. He just has to calm down and make better decisions, including not to make a pass very likely to get picked off. By now he should realized that Cleveland is playing the passing lanes-duh, you think?

Ok, time to get some more sleep. I managed a couple hrs before going to the game. 2-0 Lead. I got to scream my bloody fool head off all game long. Could not have had a better night. GO PISTONS!!!!!

18. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Good recap, Lee. We'll see you when you wake up.

No need to go over ground covered by so many others. Not a good game for us, except as a win. The second was a bad quarter, but I thought Flip was smart to keep bringing Maxiell in to match Varejao. Hate to sound like a fanboy, but Amir could be a decent activation choice for the next game. It's so hard for Webber and Dice to keep up with the Brazilian, and our age is showing on the loose balls.

Delfino not only hit a couple of big shots (that second 3 was badly needed to counter the Cleveland longball barrage), but he did something Chauncey couldn't or wouldn't do -- snag the rebound and push the ball upcourt before Cleveland could set its defense. He looked loose and confident, even at crunchtime.

This game is Exhibit A why the "trade Sheed" types don't get it. He's not consistent and he won't always hustle, but his talent/skill level stands out in a game like this. He can beat even a fierce, well-coached defense, which Cleveland certainly has.

19. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I wish Flip would realize this and let Delfino play the point in the 2nd quarter. His playmaking skills will improve the offense ALOT. Hunter/Murray just don't cut it. Prince can even run the offense better.

Delfino (like most of the ARG players) seems like the type you have to just let play, live w/ his mistakes, and know that eventually his positives will outweigh the negatives.

20. 4cwebb

4cwebb First Round Draft Pick

Since I haven't seen the Cavs play too much this year, I'm not certain who their second string PG is after Hughes. Is it Daniel Gibson? If so, the I guess the only potential problem I could see with Delfino at the point is if he is expected to chase around a smaller guy on defense (unless the thought it to have Hunter in the game, but not to handle to PG responsibilities on offense, in which case the defensive side of the equation isn't a concern).

But something has got to change in these second quarters. We've seen the Spurs basically win games 1 and 2 of the WCF with huge second quarters on the offensive side of the ball, so in the event the Pistons advance, I don't think they will have the luxury of having these bad second quarters in the NBA Finals.