ECF Game 2 Celtics vs Pistons Thurs May 22 8:30PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by max, May 21, 2008.

1. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Somewhere there in the mire of that ugly first quarter a real basketball game broke out. It was a long time coming. The ball moved, players moved rather than watched - in Q2 - Q4 the Pistons scored at a 113 PPG pace. Nice to finally see some shots dropping. Mostly nice to see the offense play to its strengths rather than to the strengths of the Boston defense.

I loved the last couple of minutes when scorers on both teams just got it done, trading baskets back and forth. And that, at least for the Ps, it was a different guy every possession.

The key now is not to let up at home. Without the next two, this series may not be winnable.

Hey, I like JVG too.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

I picked the Pistons in 4. Still like that prediction except its the Pistons in 4 Billups starts........:)
  3. deathray

deathray Second Round Draft Pick

Great game. It almost felt like 1988 watching the 4th quarter. Big shot after big shot from both teams. The Pistons seemed more focused from the beginning, and stayed that way throughout the game. Billups looked like a different player. You guys/gals already covered the specifics, so no need to state them again.

That was the team I enjoy watching, win or lose. I hope they continue to show up, as Boston is not going to lie down in Detroit. As much as Detroit was the team most likely to break Boston's home winning streak, they are as likely to give them their first road win based on their history.
  4. PistonFanInCavsTown

PistonFanInCavsTown First Round Draft Pick

FANTASTIC!

Anybody else see the postgame conference with Pierce and Garnett? When asked about how hard it will be to win a road game, Garnett seemed genuinely concerned. I expected him to mention how they had the best road record in the regular season, and how they beat the Pistons in Detroit this year, but it was like he forgot that.

You could see glimpses of the Celtics' 'hot potato' offense when they were trailing in the 4th quarter. I thought most of the Pistons' shots were good looks down the stretch whereas the Celtics were getting lucky to make some forced shots.

McDyess is so fired up. He played some great D on KG, and seems to be the most consistent offensive rebounder.

But even bigger than McDyess was Stuckey.

Some crazy fouls by the Celtics. The one where Rondo was face-guarding Prince was hilarious! Then you had Pierce committing a shooting foul on McDyess about a foot behind the basket.
  5. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Just a few things after watching;

We got back to running our money play with Sheed/Rip that was a staple of the LB era. Beautiful to watch.

LH sucked in the 2nd half. Stuckey was going insane so it didn't affect out offensive flow. His defense was not there either. That play where Allen got that dunk was a dual effort of sucky defense from Theo/LH.

BOS looked tired; confused; slow. Looks like the adrenaline from the Game 7 win wore off. Their defense was a step behind tonight. I don't expect that next game.

We have to get more production out of the bench. Hopedully, the home game inspires Flip to give AA a shot at PP. Tay's minutes are too much. They have been non-stop 40-40-40.

Sheed looked like he was going to die at the end there. Max has step up at home and take some of the pressure of Sheed/Dice. I'm not holding my breath to see Amir.

Chauncey was struggling in the 2nd half defensively probably a product of the hammy he tweaked again, and his usual lapses. Ray Allen essentially went off on him.

Got to get a defensive guard in there to help next game.

Our execution for the most part was pre-Flip Piston-esque. We did have a few breakdowns on both ends, but i didn't see the panic or quick shots that we've become accustomed to. They actually took their time (sometimes too much) and moved the ball.

I don't know what it is about our O rebounding skills, but we can always do it in do or die time. Game 6 CLE, The ORL game, and the funniest part about it is Rip gets alot of them.

All in all, a great win. Just got to tighten up the defense for a full 48 min, and continue what we're doing offensively.

edited to add;

Garnett did look concerned. In fact he looked like he was going to cry LOL. He kept saying it is what it is.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If we can beat the Celtics, and KG cries, my life will be complete. More complete than finding a soul mate, starting a family, curing a deadly disease or traveling to Mars.
  7. dba

It was great that for some reason the director had a camera on Prince for a close up on that play. Combine that one with a follow-up bonehead play from Rondo the next possession and I was really surprised Doc didn't pull him for one play and lay some wood. Popovich would have... well, it wouldn't have been pretty.

I wonder if this is going to end up the story of the series. Boston has been playing a lot of games with very heavy minutes and no breaks. I think at least part of the game one loss can be blamed on Pistons' rust, but the rest they got after Orlando could well be the key to winning this series.

Boston reminds me of LA in the finals in '04. Partly because of the hired guns put together, but mostly because of the situation at the point. I think Rondo is substantially underrated, but still, he's the only ball handler on the team. In '04 when the starting Lakers PG went out Larry went to the pit bulls and literally chased the backup out of the game. I'd like to see that in this series - put Hunter and Stuckey on whoever is bringing the ball up when Rondo sits and let them pressure the ball all that way up the floor. Even without steals, that couple of extra seconds off the clock makes the Celtics much easier to defend.
  8. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

That was pretty much what the Pistons were doing, wasn't it? Definitely in the 2nd quarter.

EDIT: Doc mentioned this in his post-game press conferece that Roscoe posted:

9. dba

Sort of.

Rondo was only out of the game for less than seven minutes anyway. During both his rests Stuckey and Rip were at the guard spots and I don't recall Stuckey really pressuring him in the back court (though it could easily have happened and I just don't remember). Hunter only played while Rondo was on the court.

I could be overly nuancing this, but seems to me Doc sees a problem with the Celtics offense when Rondo isn't on the floor not because the Pistons are doing a better job of pressuring the point, but because the backup points just aren't very good at running the offense. I'd like to see the Pistons chase the backup off the floor and force Rondo to play even more minutes.

Of course, one reason the Celtics offense bogs down with Rondo out is that there aren't any scorers on the floor during those stints. JVG has pointed that out a couple of times during the games. It's not very surprising that House isn't generating much offense when his team consists of Pierce, Posey, Powe, and Brown. Maybe Doc likes playing the P-name guys together.

Attacking Rondo early and trying to get him into foul trouble is also a pretty good strategy given how badly the Celtics perform without him. Might also provide a way to limit Pierce if he has to be bringing the ball up under pressure. I'll take my chances with the Alien playing (or House for that matter).
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

11. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Well, face-guarding is a foul if you actually make contact with the other guy's face!

I agree with your other point, TaShawn, about forced looks vs. good looks. I think it's just that guys on BOTH teams were making some heroic shots at important times. And when the other team has guys like Pierce and Garnett who can do that, you might very well HAVE to be able to hit some hero shots of your own to pull out a win in their gym. I would also argue that Pierce and KG prevented the game from getting away from the Celtics even more by making some super-tough shots against good Pistons D in the first half, not just down the stretch of the 4th quarter.

Hopefully, of course, the Pistons can play well enough at home to avoid needing a repeat performance of relying on lots of heroic shots, and then the one win on the road will turn out to be enough heroism to take the series. Perhaps like the '06 ECF where Miami's bench turned in an extremely unlikely heroic performance in Game 1 when Shaq and Wade were both in foul trouble. They were something like +10 with both those guys on the bench, which made the difference in that game and ultimately in the series, since the Heat didn't end up needing a repeat of that timely bench production; they held serve at home pretty easily with their top guys leading the way.
  12. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

not sure how espn cuts there highlights... but they seemed to show what i saw as i watched the game last night. we had alot more open looks then boston did. There big 3 all scored there 20 plus points but so many of there shots where off balanced hand in there face shots, when they make those type of shots... you shake there hand and say nice job. I can live with that. If we play with that effort on sat and monday I think we win both games.... but thats a big IF.... hopefully coming home the kids play and play well, Max needs to join the series.... if he doesnt then our bigs are going to start to wear down which is going to catch up with us sooner or later....
  13. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Stuckey played out of his mind last night. Did anyone see how he was calling for the ball aggressively at the start of the 4th? It was like he was back on the court in Eastern Washington. His poise is crazy for a rookie, he never seemed rattled the whole game.

Maxiell defiantly needs to step it up at home and I know he will. He always seems off on the road. All we need to do is hold down home court and we got it in the bag.
  14. dba

I think face guarding is o.k. It's grabbing the other player's face like something from Alien and holding on that's a bit over the line.
  15. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Hey...I'm a man of my word. I'll give credit where it is due...

....it's just not due that often.
  16. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Maybe we should try playing a DIFFERENT big off our bench and see how he does. Who's left to try? :stirthepot:
  17. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

we traded darko already :MusicBigGrin:

But.... to be serious now that were back at home.... the young kids normally play better so i am hoping to see both aa and aj get a chance to see what they can do, but we really need max to play up to his normal level. I look at the a's as bonus if they play as well as alot of folks expect they can.
  18. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't think I will believe it until I read the quote. :pound:
  19. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

If only we still had Primo:crying:

I heard about some Amir Johnson kid, but i have no idea what team he's on. We should definately try to pick him up next year.
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Hockey had to make a new rule about face guarding the goalie. After some guy just went face to face with a goalie, butt to the open ice. Rondo outdid that guy.
    Half the boston coaches were fighting back a smile.
    -
    Hey if Stuck continues to impress, I'm dropping Amir from my "must emerge in P/Os for us to win dogma."