1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

ECF Game 1 Cleveland May 21 8PM

Discussion in '2007 Playoffs' started by max, May 19, 2007.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Re: Conf Finals Game 1 Cleveland May 21 8PM

Nothing from Webber or Dyess, and Mohammed is still dressing to waste space. We do have a kid named Amir Johnson who the future of this franchise. I say the future is now. Its great that JMAX played in this last game. I love it. But Amir is just as good, if not better, than JMAX and should be playing for us, now.

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If the plan was to hide Amir, now is not the time to play him... although I think we'd all like to see what would happen.

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Roscoe you did continue to mention in "chat" during the last five minutes "we will be all right" even though we fail behind a couple of times. You were correct my man. Its the Pistons fault though. There we were last Thursday calm and excited in the last 7 minutes of the Bulls game 6 where it could have been do or die situation if they won and carried the monetum into game 7, but here it was just the first game of this series and some us (me too) were in panic mode even though there were six more opportunites to get it done.

4. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Actually you're all wrong. As I said before it was a loose ball foul not the 'anti Hack a Shaq foul"

NBA.com RULE NO. 12-FOULS AND PENALTIES

Section X--Away-From-The-Play Foul

a. During the last two minutes of the fourth period or overtime period(s) with the offensive team in possession of the ball, all personal fouls which are assessed against the defensive team prior to the ball being released on a throw-in and/or away-from-the-play, shall be administered as follows:
    (1) A personal foul and team foul shall be assessed and one free throw attempt shall be awarded. The free throw may be attempted by any play-er in the game at the time the personal foul was committed.
    (2) If the foul occurs when the ball is inbounds, the offended team shall be awarded the ball at the nearest point where play was interrupted but no nearer to the baseline than the free throw line extended.
    (3) If the foul occurs prior to the release on a throw-in, the offended team shall be awarded the ball at the original throw-in spot, with all privileges, if any, remaining.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

"a. During the last two minutes of the fourth period or overtime period(s) with the offensive team in possession of the ball, all personal fouls which are assessed against the defensive team prior to the ball being released on a throw-in and/or away-from-the-play, shall be administered as follows: "

We were the defensive team right? So the Cavs were the offensive team. So it would seem that this rule does not apply.

Maybe the correct interpretation is that an offensive foul does not result in free throws... just loss of possession?

6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Amir is the type of player we sorely lack. I see now that we should have used him some this year to have him ready. I really had counted on more from Dyss. Webber was giving us much more in the regular season.

7. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

It was a loose ball, neither team had possession, if anything Cleveland was still in possession, as they had possession last and Detroit had not established it...

loose ball foul, Cleveland wasn't in the bonus so it was a side out.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Dyess could break out of his batting slump at any time. He's getting the same looks, he's just not knocking them down.

He should try to compensate by getting some more hustle baskets, dunks, and low post production. That could give him a little more space on his FT line J's.

We would be unstoppable right now if he and Webb were just giving us average games offensively.

9. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I think he's kinda in 'Webberland' where he wants it too much and is 'thinking' instead of flowing.

think about it, Dyess, Webb, Tay, Hunter, Chauncey all played below (some WAY below) their normal offensive output and Det still won.

OK, I got my one optimistic post out of the way for the year...

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

So, if Cleveland had possession or neither team had possession, the rule that you copied does not apply... because it specifically states that it applies when the offensive team has possession and a foul is committed by the defensive team.

In our case, the foul was either committed by the offensive team or during a loose ball.

You must be right about the loose ball foul call. In that case, the Shaq rule does not apply, because it would provide no benefit for the fouling team.

Now, what discretion do referees have in calling an "intentional foul"? This foul was obviously intentional and it benefitted Cleveland. Is there no rule that allows for Chauncey to have practicle possession even though he hadn't officially established it yet?

This makes me realize that refs have a lot to think about.

11. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

It was intentional but that would have been an uber weak "intentional foul".

Yes, and they do a good job most of the time, but boy do things sure look phishy every once in a while.

12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It' s still early in the series. I would be willing to dress him for game 3 if we go to Cleveland up 2. Bring him and see what energy level he can provide. Anything to take the pressure and heat off of Webber and Dyess.

I am not as down on Webber as others have been. He played the post last night and got 10 points and 7 or 8 boards while Dyess' outside shots continued to clank and clang. Cwebb helped key the 3rd qtr comeback, but alas his defense has been less than desired. I think in the end if and when the Pistons capture the Ship, some credit will go to Cwebb...despite his shortcomings

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Section VIII--Loose Ball Fouls
    a. A personal foul, which is neither a punching, flagrant or an elbow foul, com-mitted while there is no team control shall be administered in the following man-ner:
    (1) Offending team is charged with a team foul
    (2) Offending player is charged with a personal foul
    (3) Offended team will be awarded possession at the sideline, nearest the spot where play was interrupted but no nearer the baseline than the foul line extended, if no penalty exists
    (4) Offended player is awarded one free throw attempt plus a penalty free throw attempt if the offending team is in a penalty situation [since no penalty situation, no free throws for Billups.]

14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Or how about Snow screaming at LBJ after the five second inbounds call when Lebron just hung out at halfcourt and watched his teammates run around. Snow was yelling "MOVE!!". Just more evidence for my theory that Lebron is the second coming of Vince Carter.

Anyway, just got the power back on after some dummy ran into a neighborhood power pole around two this morning, and am still trying to catch up.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Watching Varajeouw complain about the charging foul was good too. It wasn't even a borderline play.

16. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah that Verijohw call was sweet. There's something wrong when a guy can specialize at jumping in front of someone who is ablout to leap to the basket and slide underneath him.

17. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I wouldn't mind Virajeuox sliding under guys if he played for the pistons.

18. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

so as usual, my buddy and i meet up and get to the palace about an hour before game time. it was warm enough and the vette was freshly washed so we cruised in with the top down. i was feeling good, so we went inside and i faced my first important decision of the day - tasty sandwich on a pretzel roll, or boneless wings? i just had boneless wings the previous time, but i had a taste for it again, and WOW what a good decision. thank you Fraser High School Band Boosters, because I was supposed to get around 8 wings and they gave me SEVENTEEN!! this was fantastic. so i eat that and then my buddy and i play Super Mario Bros. DS against each other until game time. somehow between the national anthem and the player intros, the missing 1/3 of the crowd manages to fill in and get to their seats...it's like magic.

there was a very cute girl in the row below, but then i realized she was a CAVS FAN. boooo! in fact, 75% of the 3 rows in front of us were cavs fans too! what the @#$&!!!! we ended up bantering with them back and forth throughout the game and chatting at halftime and they were cool, although a bunch of them left with like 10 mins to go in the game, which was weird (why drive all that way and not stay?!). then the guy behind us cheered for the pistons AND lebron because that was his favorite player. odd. and on a sidenote, cavs attire is some of the ugliest i've ever seen ... like old Houston Astros stuff.

so the intros were pretty loud and the crowd stayed on its feet until the game started which usually doesn't happen, but we definitely weren't as loud as the start of the 1st two chicago games. it's like we were waiting to see the pistons jump out early and they never did, and it's like the pistons were waiting for the same thing. the turnovers were frustrating and the cavs got plenty of calls early, but dale davis was a man and snagged two possible and-1s. the depth of our bigs is great.

once we went on the run in the 3rd quarter the fans got pretty into it, and it was really tight. webber disappeared most of the game but he got us going in the 3rd so give him credit there, and then give flip credit for letting maxiell play in the 4th. he really helped seal the game. when he got his goaltend on lebron, one of the cavs fans yelled 'you can't block lebron!!' and then max goes ahead and does it a couple possessions later. then he gets an insane offensive board and passes to chauncey for the open 3, and plays solid defense the next time down the court. he was an animal. dice, though, needs to stop being so timid and find his comfort zone, and chauncey needs to feed him the ball in the proper spots, and delfino gets zero respect from the refs, which pretty much negates any kind of 1 on 1 defense he could play on lebron.

one of the fun exchanges with the cavs fans was when we were up by about 5 and they were yappin' and the guy next to me is yelling 'SCOREBOARD', and of course a few mins later we're down by 1 and hear 'SCOREBOARD' back heh. anyway, the last play of the game was scary. a bunch of us were doing the 'oooooooo' chant like they do at MSU, everyone was on their feet, and then the pass got kicked out to marshall and the crowd went 'NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!' the same as Game 5 against the Spurs when Horry tied the game. i was for sure that shot was going in, and it seemed like it hung in the air forever. when it clanked and we got the rebound and chauncey was fouled, the place went NUTS. i mean it was as loud as i've ever heard it in the palace, and louder in that instant than during any moment in the Chicago series. it's a good warmup for my vocals, which were a little hoarse today.

other random tidbits - automotion danced to 'Right Now' and everyone groaned...i said i thought we went to the games to get away from that song. after the game a few of us stayed in the section, including this really obnoxious guy who was yelling at nothing. a cute girl laughed at him, he asked why, she made a random comment and was hoping he'd go away...but then he came down toward her and she shot me a look with her eyes like 'AHHHH!' and did this several more times until he went away. maybe i shoulda went and talked to her ;D but i did not. woops.

on the way out i saw an identical vette and we drove next to each other, except he had rims that were at least $4000 and they looked beautiful. we tried to get on the TNT parking lot came but they never showed us. and then 'The Low' was on the radio with Matt Dery - but was that our forum Low? were you at the game? apologies if you like, live out of state and i don't remember. :)

19. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Warthog, my hero.

When in doubt, always talk to the girl.

20. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

All hail the almighty Wart-cap!

I'm not sure I understand exactly what sort of look she was giving you, or why, but that anecdote was still awesome. :pound: