ECF Game 1 Celtics vs Pistons Tues May 20 8:30PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by max, May 18, 2008.

1. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Really poor performance. All that time off and we get that? We had no Offensive flow. We were a bit like that early Philly series. Worried about getting inside and passing up looks. If Billips can't drive let Stuckey. They cannot guard Stuckey. Billips can shoot the 3 ball if he is limited.

The team thinks it has match up edges everywhere but for it to materialize, we have to open the offense up. Then you will see open drives to the hoop and not before.

What the real puzzle is was the defense. They got way too much what they wanted. Garnett is roaming free everywhere. I am not worried about Pierce--not for a full series but Garnett must be hounded.

2. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

After tonite, i apologize for ever disagreeing with u this year...and I'm man enuf too admit..i'm sorry!

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lee I agree with you on a couple of points. We did play better with Stucky in there. If I were Flip I would have started Stucky in the 3rd and then brought in Billups off the bench. If he was still struggling, then give AA 3-4 mins to shake up the flow..couldn't hurt..after all he was dressed and ready. Even if Billups game was off, he should have been able to deliver more than 2 assists

Did anybody notice the points in the paint differential?? 44-22 in fav of the celtics of course. . Stuckey was the only player to attack the basket more than 2 times. The only time we seem to attack the rim was in the second qtr and relied to many jumpers the rest of the game.

4. deathray

deathray Second Round Draft Pick

I only saw two of the three regular season games against Boston (both losses), but it seemed in those games that the Pistons had trouble rebounding. I didn't check the final stats, but they were headed in that direction again.

I'd like to think the young guys could help, but I'm not so sure in all cases. But when things are going as they were it couldn't hurt to throw Amir in there for a few minutes to change the pace. He would probably pick up a foul per minute guarding Garnett, but he may get some of those boards. I'm not sure about AA. I'm not expert, but they need offense and he seems more focused on "D" (not a negative thing, just not what they were lacking). Max still seems inconsistent. I don't know if that's due to his assignments, play calling, or just streakiness.

5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Rust had nothing to do with it. It was a one point game after one half. If it was rust, it would have showed up in the first half. It was bad coaching, specifically playing Sheed pretty much the entire first half, leaving him nothing left for the 2nd half. I got news for anyone who thinks this is ok coaching - Sheed is 33, a big guy who was sucking wind in the first two minutes of the game, and a guy who is wearing a knee brace. Hello out there? Anybody home? This is not ok coaching.

Flip did manage not to overplay his starters too badly in that first half other than Sheed, but Sheed is a very key player in this series. He needs to come out for regular breathers, or he is going to continue to do poorly in this series.

Oh, and to answer your question, yes, if all the fans holler for the same thing, yes, it is listened to. Dumars and the Pistons organization are not deaf to the fans voice. You get a divided fan base though, and it gets much less effective.

6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I don't even think i have much to say anymore. Pretty much exactly what i expected with this rotation. No Amir, No AA. Entitlement min. Tay playing damn near the whole game. No one really spelling him. Opposing players waltzing into the paint at will.

Rondo going 5-9 with 7 assists.

Flip just doesn't have it, and it always shows once we get to the point where the talent disparity b/w the two teams isn't there anymore (and sometimes even when it is).

Chaunce looked bad.

LH playing in the ORL series was one of the worst things that could've happened to this team. AA is just 10x better than him at this point.

Flip won't learn. He says he's going to play Amir, then puts him on the IA list. He relies on Tay/Sheed way too much. If this is how the team's going to be coached, why the Pistons are paying Flip is beyond me. I'm sure you could get the guy selling hot dogs to do it.

It's just rinse and repeat every year. I'm over it.

7. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I agree with you on the rust thing, but not the fan thing. Dumars and Co. don't care what the fans think as long as they keep filling the Palace. Lee, if you want to lodge a protest, don't go to any more games. Seriously. And if you do, at least make a sign that shows your distaste for Flip or your support for AA and Amir.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Lee, I agree with gazoo. You should protest.

If you write an angry fax, I will send it to the Palace non-stop and we can create a paper shortage.

9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Please hang in there. Its not over yet. By the way, I appreciate very much having a like minded poster like you on the forum. Thanks. - I know, you think I'm the like minded poster. Well, I know many who share our opinions, just not as vocally as others.

10. LA Dre

Hey what about me??? I always agree with what you write.. :confused:, I even wanted you try out for assistant coach when we got swept by the Nets in 2003:(

11. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I expected the Pistons to come out a bit flat, but not tired. The guys just looked winded - especially Sheed - in the early going IMO.

12. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Your posts are great (and i'm not just saying that b/c i agree w/ most of them!)

I'm not giving up on the team, just tempering my expectations (to a much lower level). This team is a little schizophrenic as is Flip. He'll show you a flash of the best rotation, and the players will show you some grit, and then next game it's gone.

We are not going to beat BOS playing this slow down 1/2 court game with them. They are too good at it. We need to push the pace, run, attack, put pressure on them, and we have the players to do it. But at this point it has about an 0.01% chance of happening.

Also Chauncey looks about 50% which initself is pretty discouraging.

13. philpiston32

philpiston32 First Round Draft Pick

we made KG and PP play like it was their birthday :(

14. LA Dre

Well Kevin Garnett's birthday was in fact yesterday:party2::gift:

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If there was ever a game to overplay starters, it was this one. We were coming off a ton of rest and they are in the wake of a tough 7 game series that was all defense. Instead, we go with the Lindsey/ Ratliff duo??? When Boston put their bench in, I would have punished them with the starting 5. Wear Boston out completely.

But we got a couple sorry performances from CB and Sheed. Chauncey was rusty and Sheed was overmatched. You know it's bad when your 2 point guards combine for 2 assists in a playoff game. In fact, Sheed was the leader with 4. I'm pretty sure most of those were handoffs to Rip.

Anyways, despite all that, we still had a chance and put up a fight late in the game. If we steal game 2, we're in the driver's seat. If not, then it's gonna be tough.

16. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I would like to pick up on this thought. The Pistons were clearly out of sync and no one played well. Dyess was on and this is a good sign for the rest of the games. Yet, they were never out of the ball game.

Boston did not look good and I definitely think the Pistons will win one in Boston. This looked like a tired ball club. I have changed my mind. Pistons will win this series.

The Pistons need to run them and they looked much better on fast breaks than Boston, which is another tell-tale sign that Boston will get slower.

Flip is heading the combination of Stuckey and CB toward the right path: pressure on going to the middle of the paint and to finish once in a while to keep Boston honest. Rondo is very weak when defending one-on-one. CB and Stuckey can take him easily in any direction. Both of these guys must get loud marching orders to drive,drive, drive and more drive. If this happens, the Pistons will win this series.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel confident after this loss.

17. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

79 points. This is the only statistic that really matters to me. Watching UM play hoops would have been more entertaining from an offensive standpoint.

18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I know we all like to kick the team when they don't live up to the expectations of a team that played 20 years ago but this is reasonable. We historically play crappy after a layoff. I feel good that we'll bounce back and steal 1 game and hold our home court.

19. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

If some of you think that unused benchplayers can turn things around then , please stop smoking whatever you are smoking.

Both PJ brown and Perkins just could have scored vs. AJ (there is no point to put him in "maybe he can rebound") and AA's D is good vs. dribblers but pierce is just too big for him or allen was insignificant anyway. We needed SCORING FIRST.

Yes I know: AA/AJ HoF-ers answer to this that, we do not expect them to save world but they contradict themselves: play good D vs. Lewis/Howard/KG/Pierce, take key rebounds, close lanes, force TOs, hit shots - all these and even more has demanded from AA/AJ club. Pretty big things, huh? Even starters cant play so well...

We do not have San Antonio level bench - it is so good that they didnt find time for Scola and Udrih. Imagine, how good such bench is.

Am I only one who do not look for answers for all starter's woes
    from bench?

Billups had play, regardless of what: giving plenty of PT is the only way to shake off rust from injury.

20. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

I agree, it wasn't our bench that lost this game, not at all. It was bad turnovers down the stretch and both Rip and Sheed laying eggs.