Early win predictions for 2013/2014

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jul 29, 2013.

?

How many games will the Pistons win in 2013/14?

1. 25 or less

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 26-30

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 31-35

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. 36-40

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  5. 41-45

26 vote(s)
    63.4%
  6. 46-50

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  7. 50+

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Agenda for higher draft picks.
    linwood likes this.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

linwood likes this.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Linwood, I will try to answer your questions. One, read the scouting reports. Not NBA standard lateral quickness for Datome. Since I have not seen him play, I got to go by the scouting reports.

I have consistenly blamed Dumars for who gets played, from what I read. Starting with not playing Cardinal, per Dumars' orders to Carlisle.

I don't really care about Ivan Johnson's opinions.

Charlie did end up playing. There was no reason for it at all, from a coaching standpoint. What, start playing a guy who sends out gold plated invitations, with door prizes, to come and score at the basket - and stands there and hands out the door prizes?

I post a lot about Bynum, but his being too short is just an excuse. There are players who manage to affect plays despite shortcomings in size. Bynum is not one of them. He just stares in amazement at how tall everyone else is. Watch the film, and you will see what I mean. PS, I watch it in frame by frame, to get a good look at the lostness on Bynum's face. As far as his being such a great point guard, hey, are you sure you are not the one who thinks the coaches are a bit nuts. How would they go most of the season without playing their best point guard. Hmm, but really, remember this Dumars character also had Curry on the team when Curry was doing imitations of a rock. Hint, rocks don't generally move real fast. Just because Dumars signed the guy does not mean Bynum is worth paying money to play.

Ok, I think I covered your questions. Even if you disagree with my answers, I hope you appreciate the time I spent answering your question. Have a great day.
    linwood likes this.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I agree with Lee, Will Bynum is our best point guard.
    BillLaimbeer and linwood like this.
  5. linwood

linwood All-Star

BillLaimbeer likes this.
  6. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

That's not completely fair. I'm somewhere in the middle, I don't think he is our best point guard, but I certainly don't think he is a useless bench scrub either. Bynum has a really well defined role and he has to be compared against that role - off the bench spark. I think that it became really apparent last year that he was really good a filling that role. He doesn't need to be consistent, he just needs to force the issue on offense against second units.

Is he a complete liability on defense. Yeah sure. But he tries and the results aren't completely shocking. He has to gamble to make up for the size differential, so too often he gets blown by leaping for a pass or reaching on a crossover. But he stirs up some momentum on the other end almost every time he comes on the court, and so far as I see it, that momentum tends to carry.
    linwood likes this.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Backup PG is probably the least important position to be a good defender.
    linwood likes this.
  8. roscoe36

I think you guys are missing a key point here.

Will Bynum is our best point guard.
    linwood likes this.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm still trying to get used to Joe's positionless new NBA.
  10. linwood

linwood All-Star

I want to like this 100 times.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Defensively, Drummond is our best PG.
  12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It had some truth to it until we added Billups and Jennings....
    linwood likes this.
  13. linwood

linwood All-Star

From what I've seen from the Pistons, up to this point, Will Bynum is our best point guard. If he falls to second or third best, I will be happy.

Sent from Will Bynum's hands using Alley Oop to Drummond
    webz and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Last I will say on this subject for now. I watch the games, then rewatch them, studying film. Its my hobby. Its the way I like to pass my time. By my observations, any stats aside, if Will Bynum is in the picture, the Pistons get worse. The more he plays, the more we lose. There never has been any reason to play him in the rotation, as out bench has done wonders when he was firmly planted on the farthest end of the bench. Our bench play goes straight down hill when Bynum becomes part of the bench. My observations about him standing around watching when he finds himself too short to affect a play, thats a constant. If you studied film like I do, you would not miss these continuoous instances. Call me crazy if you wish for watching so much basketball, but hey, I pretty much only watch the Pistons these days and no other sports. So I don't really watch sports that much more than the average person. I have gotten the number down though from what use to be five times watching each game at one point. Now a days, I don't even rewatch every game.

Back to Bynum. If you want to defend him, you could do a better job. Like point out he has had injury problems. Or point out that some of the guys he has had to play along side of did not help him any, like CV playing no D behind him, guys like Singler and JJ out there with no NBA speed such that they should really be getting playing time. Like Stuckey having no outside shot - so sometimes Bynum is playing the point with no real shooting guard in the game. Etc. I root for Bynum to do well when he plays. He just does not generally do well. The injury thing is not a legitimate excuse if you are continuously injured. You have got to prove you can stay healthy in this league too, along with having some talent. As far as who Bynum plays with, one, Stuckey is a way better point guard than a shooting guard. Having Bynum in the game with Stuckey at shooting guard puts both Stuckey and Bynum in a very poor position. CV actually has stretches over the years where adding him in actually puts a shot of good play for our bench, at least for a while. (In contrast to when Bynum becomes part of the bench where the reverse always takes place.) As an emergency point guard, asked to play now and then when the people ahead of him are injured, Bynum has had some good games. But when he is put into the rotation on a permanent basis, squeezing him into a guard rotation that really does not need him - it really, really hurts the team.

Take the upcoming season. Billups wants to play some point. Pretty much for sure, Jennings will be playing 35 minutes of point. Leaving like 13 for Billups. Are you so sure Bynum should play point for us, forcing Billups to go over to shooting guard - wasting a ton of point guard ability? I say, if you force Bynum into the rotation, you just make the team worse. Same for this upcoming season as for last season.

Feel free to answer that question, but don't expect a further response from me as I am done with this subject for now.
  15. roscoe36

BallDon'tLie and linwood like this.
  16. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

linwood likes this.
  17. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I just love spending time responding to someone who just declared they are finished with the conversation.

This is actually a sneaky-good tactic, though. If the other person actually responds, I just ignore it, because, like I said, I'm finished with this conversation. If, like a reasonable human being, they don't respond (because I just said I'm done with the conversation), then I win.
  18. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

You'd make a good Pistons' coach......
  19. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

I have no stats or years of film watching experience but here is my 2 cents on Bynum for what its worth. I'll call it the kpaav eye test.

To me, Bynum is your prototypical 3rd guard. He has great chemistry with bench guys, can shoot a bit, drive a bit, dish a bit etc. However, he is prone to over dribbling, a defensive sieve at times and cold gunner. That said, I can usually tell very quickly if it will be a good Bynum game or a bad one. Last year, I think we over used him out of necessity because he may have been the best PG we had. This year, I hope the coaching staff puts him in when he is "on" and in situations that best suit him - Drummond + some shooters. If he is off, then sit him and he play 5 minutes that game. If he is on, use him and he plays 20 minutes. At the end of the day, he averages 10-15 mpg - the perfect amount - and only when is is being useful.
    Walter likes this.
  20. roscoe36

The perception that Will isn't a good shooter isn't borne out by the stats. He's not a good 3 point shooter, he has a fantastic FG% (considering 3P% drags it down) relative to most point guards in the NBA.

Also, I am not sure he is a "defensive sieve" either. I'm not going to say he is a ballhawk, but it's not like his man was putting up 20 points every night.

And the over dribbling part, well he was the best passer on our roster last season until we got Calderon. Same thing was said about Arroyo though, so maybe it's all the dribbling to setup the play that is the problem.