Dupree to be cut

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Oct 28, 2005.

1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

2. clingman

clingman First Round Draft Pick

i like the idea.... BUT

how many times can joe pull the trick... campbell was not up to par in the playoffs because newjersy didn't let him slide last year.... and I would guess that miami or newjersey or even..... indiana would do the same this year

3. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

I'd rather we get something of value in return but cutting him loose with nothing?Well sometimes that happens and I believe the value Acker could have if we need him as a pg makes sense to cut Dupree even though I'd like to see him stay.

Being able to activate a player on any given night hopefully he gets some pt during some easy games.

4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well I'll be damned. I wonder how many GM's are checking out PF.com to see what the fans are talking about?

Well if there is a GM reading this (Except, maybe for the Raptors, Clippers or Hawks, I still have standards), if you have a position available for a lazy, beer drinking sports fan to sit around and watch tv all day and surf the web, I'm your man!

References available upon request (my wife and mother-in-law would gladly verify my above claims).

5. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

LMAO!!!!!!!

You are hilarious man. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Acker is staying

One thing people seem to be missing. Acker does not need to guard point guards.

You can pair him up with Rip, who is quite capable of guarding point guards. Acker does do ok as a point on offense. After he calms down a bit, he will hit lots of outside shots. He will go inside a lot and score. And how can anyone forget 9 assists in the only game where he got to play extended minutes so far this preseason? Anyone check out his assist per minute stats so far? Very impressive indeed. Acker is going nowhere.

Meanwhile, Dupree does look pretty good, but he will not play over Evans. And Evans himself will have a hard time finding minutes if Flip starts going big up front. Evans will not play ahead of Delfino.

So basically, if there is a reasonable chance that Hunter can come back by the playoffs, Dupree is probably gone.

8. max

max All-Star

Dupree

Bottom line - Dupree is the 4th 2/3 on the depth chart. I also like the guy and have been impressed but he still has not surpassed Delfino and Evans.

Acker right now is 3rd string at point and 4th at SG. Plus Dumars sees a lot of potential.

Some say cut Johnson. Johnson is a true 3yr project he was just drafted where 3yr projects are supposed to be. Does not make him any less of a 3yr project.

9. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

While I liked Dupree's hustle and pure athleticism, I just don't trust him on a one-on-one defensive assignment. Maybe it's just me but it seemed that he bit way to hard on fakes and was easily beaten off the dribble way to often for a guy with his talent.

What bothers me is that he is getting better, but I understand where Joe is coming from with all of the talented 2/3's on this team. I just hope he doens't come back to haunt us in June...

10. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

Max

No way would I let Johnson go. If we were thinking only about this year, he'd be out of here. He's probably the only player on the roster who I would argue CAN'T contribute this season.

But one of the benefits of a 15-man roster is that you can keep some guys on there who may not be ready now but will be good down the road. Johnson definitely has the potential to become a player (albeit with several years of polishing, as you pointed out).

Incidentally, there's no way I'd let LH go before Acker or Dupree. Until we find someone else who can regularly stop dribble penetration, I think he's a great situational substitution.

11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This is why Acker will not be cut. He is getting 14.6 assists per 48 minutes so far in the preseason. This is despite getting no comfort level out there yet. You don't like 48 minute stats? I really don't want to hear it. Thanks in advance.

12. max

max All-Star

Tbird

Yes Hunter must be retained. An article today over at DetNews stating that Dumars has no plans of releasing him.

Hunter has his faults but he does not crack in the big games.

13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

?

Can you splain this to us common folk please?

14. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

I really like Dupree, but I think we should let him go. It reminds me of the Mike James situation a couple of years ago. MJ was better then a limited role player and JD knew that. Dupree is better then a 3-5 minute guy which he would be if he made the roster. Let him go sign with the Bobcats or Hornets and get some real PT. IIf we keep acker he will be around a while Dupree is going to be gone as soon as contract expires and he can get PT. Great Guy, Good Player, let him enjoy his NBA life. Moreover, he will more then likely never move higher on our depth chart. Acker may not pan out, but its worth the risk for a 3-5 minute player. Bottom line It would be hard for either of these guys to make our playoff roster.

15. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Dupree....

Always been a big fan of the guy. Pulling for him though it looks bleak.

It's hard to find quality point guards today along with great centers. All those guys are rare commodities.

Somehow, if Lindsey Hunter isn't the one released (sorry Lindsey but I'm hoping it'll be you) then it'd probably be Dupree, though it pains me to say it.

16. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

It's a misspelling that caught on in the online/gaming world. Some semiliterate geek misspelled "owned" and people began using it the way basketball folks now say "posterized" and once said "facial" or "in your face."

http://www.jinx.com/scripts/details.asp?affid=-1&productID=279

The reference here was that MW said in utterly explicit terms that there was no way any NBA general manager would be stupid enough to rely on Web sources like hoopshype.com for information -- then I linked to a Sports Illustrated article from THAT SAME DAY which said it was not only how Milwaukee initiated the Magloire deal, but that hoopshype was required reading for a lot of GMs.

Seeing micro's original statement, the timing was so amazing I wondered if he hadn't already seen the article ... but I sure wasn't going to pass up an incredible chance to score a coup. All your base are belong to us!

17. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

damn, for years I've been wonderin why Wells was given up back then- at these times, I had no access to Internet and the only Pistons News I had got came from the CNN- Teletext. He played a damn good exhibition season and suddenly he was gone. Thanks for explaining this year- old question!!!

18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Just to make it clear why

At freep.com, they got an article which spells this out more clearly. If we let Hunter retire, we must waive him. If we waive him, there is a very good chance that another team would pick him up. (Then, even if Hunter decides not to play for that team, it would not matter since that team that picked him off waivers would still have his rights, meaning he could not hook back up with us toward the end of the season.)

To sum things up a bit, Dupree was already on the team. Despite this, Dumars signed Acker to a one year contract. (Though not guaranteed) Joe could have just signed Acker to a camp contract, which would have allowed Acker to participate in camp, and then go on to play elsewhere while we retain his rights. But as it is, if we cut him now, we lose his rights.

Why would Dumars sign a guy he did not have to? Acker could right now be in camp, just like Glyniadakis was, but us being in no danger of losing his rights. Glyniadakis is back off to Europe, with us still retaining his draft rights. If Dumars had not signed Acker to that one year contract (non-guaranteed) then we could just cut Acker right now and still be able to get him back later this season if we wanted or next year or whenever.

Joe Dumars has stated he expects all three of his rookies to make the squad. Thats why he signed Acker. And why could he do this? Because he picked up Mo Evans, who replaces Dupree.

With all that said though, is it a done deal that Hunter is not waived? No. From what is being reported, there remains some doubt about Hunter's ability to come back from his minor surgery at full strength. We will all know for sure how this goes in the next 36 hours.

19. max

max All-Star

Lee

I do agree that Ackers status was probably never in question. Dumars has said some very good things about Acker ( Next Allan Houston,... ) . So I believe he does want to keep him on board and control his development. The reason why Acker has not played much could be that the decision was already made to keep him.

Why would Evans have been signed if Dupree was going to make the team? Why play Dupree so much if he will be cut? Think trade here. Dupree was being showcased so we could get a 2nd rounder out of him.

On Hunter. With Dupree out there will be room for him. If Hunter retires then he retires but I do believe he will be given that choice and if he does comeback then look for the 3 rookies to not make the playoff roster.

20. Jman

Jman Second Round Draft Pick

Trade Dupree?

Great comments about the Dupree-Acker debate, everyone!

Trade Dupree - is this possible now before he's got a set roster spot? Wouldn't the Pistons first have to sign him to the roster, then trade him? This would mean cutting Hunter, so a trade wouldn't make sense yet. Unless perhaps another team wants him so badly that they're not willing to risk catching him on the waiver wire. Or maybe only a few teams have any cap space to sign him - I think the Spurs are one of the few?

I think Pastor Flourney is right on about giving Dupree a chance at major playing time on another team rather than him getting maybe 5 mpg with the Pistons. This would be a typical Dumars move to help a quality player and man, and while it would benefit another team, it would further enhance Dumars' and the Pistons' reputation of being player-friendly, thus helping attract future free agents and perhaps lessening contract demands of current players (hope Prince is listening:)

Irregardless, whatever Dumars chooses I don't think we can speculatively call it a "mistake". How many other teams would love to have the problem of having two NBA-quality players competing for the last roster spot? If Dumars had drafted a typical player with late 2nd-round pick used for Acker, which most all teams most always do, that player would have been cut a couple weeks ago and we'd be saying "good riddance, it was only a late pick". This is a *fantastic* problem our fantastic GM has given the team.