Dumars: Pistons must rebuild softened roster

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by markie8002000, May 25, 2010.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I should use this as my signature (with the little barfing smilie ).:MusicBigGrin:

2. Brap

Brap Starter

I agree. Winning those games did NOTHING for a single player in our organization going forward.

If we end up having to use our best chip, Tay, to move up a few spots, then while I'll be happy to do that, I'll also know that that shouldn't have been necessary. We should have gotten the player we wanted without using our chip. Tay could have been (then) traded for something else we needed.

Now, that said, it's important to remember that at best, you need 9 key guys on your roster. With whoever we draft and trade up for (assuming we do), plus Stuckey, Gordon, Bynum, JJ, Daye and Summers - I count 6 or 7 guys on the roster (will Daye and Summers both work out? will either work out?) who are keepers, plus whoever we get in the 2011 draft and for trading Rip's then excellent nearly expiring contract.

But we really need to move up if the guy we really need doesn't otherwise fall to us. We've got to get that young big guy to anchor our front line.

3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Joe is pissin me off now, and I am a JoeD defender all day long. Defense wasn't our problem last year, our problem was we struggled to score 90pts on any given night, putting together consecutive 20pt qtrs was darn near impossible, so can we just learn how to be a plus .500 team? Defense wins championships, offense wins games, in order to win a championship you fist have to win some games and make the playoffs. Once you start making the playoffs players learn the level of intensity and defensive committment needed to win a championship. Joe go get some guys that can put the ball in the hoop and get us into the playoffs.

4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I still don't think GM's are going to offer talent for an expiring contract (like Rip) with a lockout looming.

5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

You can't trade $11M salary for a draft pick. There needs to be other pieces involved to bridge the gap. A lottery pick is a guaranteed what, $4-5M in salary? So you need to take back another $5M or so to trade away Prince. Correct?

6. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

if the trade is made before the draft, the draft pick has zero value per say.... if i have it right. actually when do they actually have "value" when they actually sign there rookie contract?

7. max

max All-Star

I think if both trading teams are under the cap then salaries do not have to match. Not sure if its the receiving team that has to be under after the trade or both teams. Couple of years ago Camby ( 10 mil/yr ) was traded for a 2nd round pick when Denver wanted to cut some salary.

8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

9. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

When a possession ends with a tayshaun post up, it feels like 6 or 7 hours.

On a softness related note, this is the most accurate CV related article I've ever read. Kind of reminds me of this Rasheed article

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

CV does seem like one of the softest players that I can think of. SoftServ would be a perfect screen name for him.

The article was right on, which was pretty uncomfortable to read... just knowing that CV will read it and feel a deep level of embarrassment due to the high truth content.

11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Villanueva can be a good rebounder and an adequate defender. The first step would be to stop shooting – not completely, but stop looking for shots and having plays called him. Villanueva expends way too much energy on offense.

Not sure I see how this would help. Ok, he stops working on the offensive end, gets a few more boards and becomes an adequate defender. Big deal. Why would you play an adequte rebounder and defender who doesn't score? And of course the main thing the Pistons offense needs to to drop out someone who as plays run for them. Especially since only Rip gets plays run for him now. Maybe he should just have them all and they could announce that to the opposition before each game. Maybe hand out some mimeographs of the three plays.

CV is far from a perfect player, but taking away the main reason he's on the floor seems kind of silly.

12. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

If we rest CAS during the offense so his defense improves we can balance this by resting Wallace during the defense so his offense improves.

13. coynejeremy

You win this thread. :winner_first_h4h:

14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree - hands down. :pound:

15. Brap

Brap Starter

We need an eraser or two in the middle of our defense in the paint - someone who doesn't need a lot of help against top offensive players and who can make the area a no-fly zone.

When that happens, our guards and wing players won't have to cheat as much as they do now.

Our only guard who defends well and who keeps guys in front of him - even bigger guys who try and fail to muscle him when he plays SF - is Stuckey.

JJ is great at moving his feet - and his agility is incredible. He can become a first rate defender in this league.

Daye's length gives him possibilities, but he's not quick footed, so his ability to defend will depend on how smart he is and plays. I think his BB IQ and willingness to mix it up are both quite good. As he gets stronger, I think we're going to love him on this team. And I still think our future would be better with him at SG, JJ at SF.

It's PF and C we need to address. Maybe Summers can be the PF - we'll see - the potential is there.

That leaves C - currently a humongous black hole on this team.

16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

And the league in general.

17. coynejeremy

Have you seen how high he can put his foot up against a wall?

18. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

PF is just as big of a hole. Our current solution is Charlie V, and a future solution does not exist on this roster.

I understand Daye isn't bulky and isn't much of a post player so people think he should play SG, but he can't dribble the ball. Guys that tall don't even sniff SG without ball handling skills. T-Mac is around Daye's height, but he can put the ball on the floor. When Daye does it, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

19. Brap

Brap Starter

Daye can definitely dribble. He's got very fine handle, and has shown signs of being able to initiate the offense and make plays.

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Thank you. Watching Daye dribble up the court is like watching a slow motion train wreck.