Dumars: Pistons must rebuild softened roster

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by markie8002000, May 25, 2010.

1. markie8002000

markie8002000 First Round Draft Pick

2. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I can't believe that sombody at the Associated Press actually got paid to compose that facinating piece of investigative journalism.

That was some groundbreaking stuff right there!
  4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm just trying to figure out:

Is this the sarcasm?
    Or is this the sarcasm?
    :heh: :boink:
  5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

My appologies to the A.P.

When I clicked on the link earlier, it only loaded up to the sentence: "Dumars has several ways to change that, starting with the No. 7 pick that Detroit received in last week's lottery."

There was a little more to the article than my internet connection lead me to believe.
  6. max

max All-Star

Why did he spend 17 mil/yr on a couple of cream puff defenders then?

7. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I had the same problem earlier today.
  8. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

GOOD one Max. I am asking myself the same question after reading Joe Dumars interview. A real head scratcher.
  9. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Grit and toughness is fine, but I'd settle for a roster that looks like it's going in a direction other than down right about now.
  10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

This "softness" isn't entirely our overpaid bench players' fault. This team should have defended much better than it did all year. Let's look at our roster. Here are the group of guys that have seen regular action during the year (>41 games and >10mpg) and what their reputation around defense is:

RIP: can defend if he feels like it. He was a decent defender with the '04 team
    Stuckey: can be an above average defender
    Gordon: can be an average defender, but has size disadvantage
    Prince: he still is one of the better defenders at the 3 spot in the league
    CV: defensive liability
    Bynum: can be a really good on the ball defender
    JJ: pure hustle, but rookie mistakes
    Maxiell: above average defender
    Big Ben: 4xDPOY
    Daye: has the potential to become an above average defender, but rookie mistakes
    Kwame: can defend big guys ok

So, looking at that, our only gaping hole in defense should be CV. Everybody else on the roster should have done a better job defensively this year. On paper, prior to signing Gordon and CV, this team had good defensive pieces in place, but not enough firepower. When looked in that light, Gordon and CV signings make more sense.

In hindsight, yes, the CV signing is questionable. I still have faith in Gordon.

The bottom line is: our defensive lapses are not because of the Gordon and CV. Our entire team didn't put forth the effort. The players just gave up on the season before Santa came to town.
  11. coynejeremy

Nice job.
  12. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

To me...it was about coaching.
  13. max

max All-Star

Very good points all. Plus we cannot overlook the chemistry factor. Team was 11-12 at one point and then Rip and Tay came back. Should have been better but we got worse. I suppose a lot of that is the coaches fault for letting vets who have been out for a while come charging into the rotation like a Bull in a china shop.

We are stuck with Q and we are probably going to be stuck with a lot of the other guys ( who is going to what them, maybe unload 1 or 2 but that's about it ). Hopefully everyone has learned something and if we keep the injury bug away then who knows.
  14. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

How does grit translate to offense? I hope we aren't going to have more teams where they don't take a shot until the last 5 minutes of the shot clock
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I know. I prefer it when teams take a shot with at least 6 or 7 minutes left on the shot clock.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe someone should send Quester a copy of the book about the Phoenix Suns Seven Minutes or Less so he gets the point?

On a different note, does the Pistons return to grit (I smell the 10-11 marketing slogan) mean that the era of players without positions has ended? That was a quick one if so..............
  17. Brap

Brap Starter

chad ford's insider v.3 is up:
    1. Wall, 2. Favors 3. Turner 4. Wes Johnson to Minny, 5. Aminu to Sac, 6. Cousins to G.S.
    Analysis: I think the Warriors will do backflips if Cousins slips this far.

He actually had a pretty good week in Chicago. A number of NBA GMs told me that based on Cousins' body of work, interviews and his measurements, they believe Cousins has as much talent as anyone in the draft, including John Wall.

Cousins has been compared to everyone from Shaq to Zach Randolph, but here's an interesting historical comparison to ponder -- could he be the next Moses Malone?

"He's huge, he scores around the basket, he's a terrific rebounder and he plays with a chip on his shoulder," one GM said. "How many 20-10 centers come along? Not very many. As far as a talent goes, he could be incredible in the NBA. The league has gotten smaller and quicker. Cousins would kill most of the big guys in our league today."

Cousins also fared well in the measurement category, comparing favorably in size to NBA centers. He measured a legit 6-foot-11 with a tremendous 7-foot-6 wingspan and 9-foot-5 standing reach. Those numbers put him on par with the likes of Dwight Howard, Greg Oden and Brook Lopez. His interviews weren't nearly as bad as everyone made them out to be, either.

While the Warriors have Andris Biedrins in the middle, he's nothing like Cousins, who can come in and be a big-time scorer right away. Teaming Cousins with with Stephen Curry and Anthony Randolph would give the Warriors a great foundation.

7. Pistons, Davis

Analysis: Pistons president Joe Dumars has said he wants his team to regain the grit and toughness of past Pistons teams. But picking at No. 7 makes that a bit of a challenge. The Pistons are really high on both Cousins and Favors, but most likely they'll have to move up in the draft to get one of them. Regardless, the Pistons are taking a big man.

If they stay at No. 7, Davis makes some sense. He's got a nose for the ball and attacks the offensive glass. But he's also not the most polished player in the draft. Greg Monroe and Ekpe Udoh are other possibilities here. Apparently Cole Aldrich really isn't in the mix here.
  18. coynejeremy

I think Joe was talking about grits. Maybe this post should be moved to the food thread.
  19. Brap

Brap Starter

If the Pistons try and fail to move up, and Cousins goes 6, I plan on vomiting. A lot.
  20. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I still can't quit complaining about these stupid wins at the end of the season. This organization has sucked the last years, but that made everything even worse; if you tank, than tank correctly