[Drafted] Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

The roster is not yet set, we have a gazillion of cap space so it is certainly a possibility that BK is not the starting PG next season. I read in some article that Mo Cheeks wasn't too keen on framing him as a PG when asked.
  2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Whether or not this pick is the "right" pick may take a few years to shake-out, but I can say that this was indeed a brave pick.

When all the "experts" are saying you need a PG and you pass up an in-state Naismith award winning hero who just finished leading his team to the NCCA championship game; that takes some testicular fortitude. Picking Trey Burke would have been beyond safe. It would have been the pick to make if you were more interested in winning a popularity contest than an NBA championship. No matter how Burke turns out, drafting him could have been easily justified by spraying around talking points like "home town guy", "team leader", "college player of the year", etc... Nobody could blame Joe if Trey ended up being a bust for the Pistons.

I'd bet the contents of my savings account that Kentavious Caldwell-Pope wasn't the guy that Tom Gores wanted to select. I'm sure he wanted 'the flashy Wolverine PG who will put butts in Palace seats' so he no longer had to hire the likes of Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer to generate some "fan interest". I gotta imagine that if Burke was the pick, the phones would have immediately started ringing at the Palace box office with loads of UofM slappys wanting to sign-up to see how their guy does in the pros.

With Joe's job on the line, he went against the grain.

As casual internet fans, we have no idea how all these rookies will pan-out. All I know is that if KCP isn't as good as Burke, Joe will likely be fired. Heck, I'll go a step further and say if Burke ends up being better than Brandon Knight, Joe will probably be fired. Pope didn't fall to the Pistons. The Pistons reached out and grabbed this guy above a lot of other dudes that fans were wanting. This was one of the craziest drafts in recent memory and nobody can say how it will end up playing out.

HOPEFULLY, Joe and his scouts know more than everyone else. ...I think they probably do
    I don't think that Joe would have stuck his neck out to select Pope Kontavious the 1st if he wasn't sure that this guy was going to be amazing. I'm excited because this pick was such a bold and unexpected move. To me, this means Joe must know something about KCP that we don't.

Welcome to the team Kontavious!
    ...no pressure man.
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

Pope Kantavious. Good one Ball Don't Lie!

Excellent post by the way. I think that Joe either went against the grain for the sake of winning... or he still feels burned by the Mateen pick and just couldn't bring himself to draft the local hero again.

For the record, I thought the Mateen pick was actually a pretty good one. It put butts in seats, generated interest in the Pistons, and (theoretically) filled a need.
    Nemo likes this.
  4. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Seven other GMs passed up on the guy so I doubt he's a sure thing but I can see the home town hero argument.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  5. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

BDL made an excellent post to rally the troops here at PF for our new 1st round selection.

There will be pressure though as Gores will make his move if things don't shake out.
  6. BallDon'tLie

So many people (broadcasters, TV/radio pundits, members of this board) have made the mistake of saying "Ken" English instead of Kim English that we've basically changed the guys name for him.

Here's an additional refresher course of current-roster guys to bring you up to speed so you'll have no excuse to not keep posting and participating in this forum:

Charlie Villanueva = BoT or Bucket of Turd
    Rodney Stuckey = Super Collider
    Kris Middleton = Jerry Stackhouse the 2nd
    Will Bynum = Teen Wolf
    Slava Kravtsov = TRG or The Russian Guy

...everyone feel free to add anyone that I'm missing.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  7. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

I have to agree, I know many of my co-workers wanted Burke, I also found it funny that Joe Dumars said he had several scenarios where he had talked with Trey about draft day possibilities. Maybe Trey didn't want to be a Piston, if he and Joe had an ongoing dialogue/relationship, maybe Trey knew all along as did Joe that they weren't gonna take him. I think Joe is riding out the BK/PG experient now that he has Cheeks as the HC. Not sure that it'll work, but it's the plan that Joe is going with. No one in this draft blew me away. Especially when the alleged #1 pick fell to 6 and the guy that might fall to us went #1. It was by far a draft that had me wondering WTH? I do like that Joe drafted a postional player that fits the position of need. This should spell the end for Stuckey in Detroit. (package him in a trade/waive him). I just want to see what comes next.

GO PISTONS !!!!
  8. BallDon'tLie

That being said, I think CJ McCollum is the guy that will make everyone forget that Jason Terry ever existed.
  9. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

maybe it's Karma. Whom did the Warriors draft before the Pistons picked Drummond?
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I like it. Good size. Should make JC better. He's a stop and pop guy. Let him shoot from half court !
    He shouldn't go to the hole if it's crowded.
  11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

What Dumars said about drafting KCP is spot on. Mitchell is a great pick. You need to develop both guys. I hope they have a plan for that
  12. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

This shows Joe's learned, because pretty much all of that applies to Mateen Cleaves, who was a pretty big mistake. However, the Naismith thing had me thinking, so I looked it up. Here are the last 20 Naismith winners:

1995 Joe Smith Maryland Forward Sophomore
    1999 Elton Brand Duke Forward Sophomore
    2001 Shane Battier Duke Forward Senior
    2002 Jason Williams Duke Guard Junior
    2003 T. J. Ford Texas Guard Sophomore
    2005 Andrew Bogut Utah Center Sophomore
    2006 J. J. Redick Duke Guard Senior[3]
    2007 Kevin Durant Texas Forward Freshman[4]
    2012 Anthony Davis Kentucky Center Freshman
    2013 Trey Burke Michigan Guard Sophomore

That's a pretty good list, and I would have been happy to have just about any of them, so we'll see.
  13. max

max All-Star

While waiting for the Pistons pick I thought - Its happened again! Another Gem has fallen to us. Then I hear with the 8th pick the Pistos select
    dada Pope someone. 1st thoughts were What? Who is that?

I know Burke is short and we would have had to make some quick deals to dump Knight - but if he is another AI or something then I don't know. I guess our new guy can shoot and overall does not seem like a bad SG, should be able to win the starting spot. Also appears that JD still has faith in Knight.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here in Detroit, we don't just hand starting spots to rookies. If he's as good as Andre Drummond, he should have about 5 starts under his belt by the end of the season.
    S.J., Nemo, coynejeremy and 1 other person like this.
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There must have been some intense struggling in the WAR room if Joe, Gores and Cheeks were all there squirming after the first five picks were out of sequence of what all of the mock drafts had spelled out. They must have already known they were going to pick Pope. Burke was the safe pick as BDL indicated in his great post, but if he winds up being the rookie of the year and our Pope turns out to be the next Rodney White, Joe will be gone.

My only question is what would they have done if Noel was sitting there at the 8th spot, would they have picked him and used him as bargaining chip to trade for a vet and lower draft pick?
  16. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Leach’s Lists: Why The Pistons Might Have Saved The Franchise While Passing On A Future All-Star « CBS Detroit
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That's just it. This pick won't even be felt until late 2014 if history holds true.

If we drafted Burke, that meant we were giving up on Calderon and Knight. By drafting Pope, we're going with Knight and maybe Calderon too.
  18. max

max All-Star

He will play. "The Rocket Man" started. I think Drummon was young and the coach was overlly cautious with him. Drummon was not supposed to have been ready and it took Frank a while to adjust things.
  19. BallDon'tLie

Frank works for Jason Kidd now.
  20. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think Frank worked for Jason Kidd in 2004 as well.
    LA Dre, Walter and BallDon'tLie like this.