Draft Picks / Free Agents / Trades; Let's talk targets

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Dec 24, 2012.

1. linwood

linwood All-Star

I watched Archie play this past season. He's got some talent for sure, but the team really, really underachieved. Another talented but raw 18 year old kid. Lee should love him!
  2. linwood

linwood All-Star

If I were a backup pg only making $3M/year, you'd be lucky to get me out of my flip flops.
    BillLaimbeer likes this.
  3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

NBADraft.net has us taking Tayshaun Prince's lovechild Otto Porter.
    ...for what it's worth.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

And most of the time, the team is desperate for a hero when he's in the game. It's not like Kyle Singler is going to lead us back from 15 down.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

NBADraft.net just ranks players, irregardless of team needs. That being said, I'm sure their top 10 will be fairly close to what actually happens.
  6. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Well it would be nice to see a player that tried to run the offense instead of fuel his own stats. A pick and roll where the roller actually saw a pass instead of rolling to grab an oft missed, ill-advised shot that results in an unpredictable rebound that fuels the opposition's fastbreak. Yepper, that's what I see out of most of Bynum's possessions. He's a gunner that is shooting with a pea-shooter. His broke jumper is why he's not more than a 3M bit player.
  7. Jackattaq

Run the offense (which means getting others involved and the ball in the right spots). Not Stat-Chasing which is what I feel that Will "the thrill" is more interested in. Will will fire 7-8 shots in 5 minutes and no one else sees the ball while "he's running the offense". I don't expect him to be Jose Calderon (but I am a big Calderon fan). I like how JC can get the ball to guys in the right spots then shift to position himself to get the ball back for an open jumper when a postup guy gets doubled. With Will it's always ball in his hands and he's gotta take the shot. He doesn't score without the ball in his hands often and his doesn't set up other players to get good shots. With a young team, that sucks (as the Pistons do), I'm more interested in seeing young players develop than how many baskets Will can pad his stats with for his next contract. As a backup PG we aren't getting the ball to the young guys so that can develop so much as we are watching Will play 1 on 1 out there.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He had the highest assist rate on the team at 34.4%, just above Calderon at 34.1%.

The reason that he's able to generate that high of an assist rate is because he's such a threat to score that he makes defenses collapse. He takes 38% of his shots in the paint as opposed to 17% for a guy like Calderon. Most of Will's assists were drive and dish or alley oops off of pick and rolls. His shot is weak, so the drive is his primary weapon. And the drive is open to him almost every single possession.

And while it may seem to you that he with fire 7-8 shots in 5 minutes, he actually averages about 2.2 shots every 5 minutes. So if he sometimes shoots 7-8, then he must also go for long stretches where he hardly shoots at all.

He just doesn't have any range whatsoever- career .269 3-point shooter, which is worse than even Stuckey's.
  9. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think Will has done a great job considering who he has had to work with. He's not Chris Paul, but he is also a backup being paid a reasonable (for the NBA) amount for his skill set.
  10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

He's and amazing player for a werewolf!
    linwood likes this.
  11. Jackattaq

Ok, maybe it's just me be too hard on the guy, it just seemed to me at times that he's a chucker. I do value a PG that can drive and draw defense which collapses on them and allows for dumpoff passes. I did see some nice Will to Dre alley-oops this past season. I just have vivid memories of Will (maybe from years past) chucking when he thought he was in a groove. I guess to me, I didn't see Will out on a wing at the 3 pt line dumping the ball into the post too much. He preferred to drive and dish/shoot instead of letting the offense run through the post. I'm a big fan of post play (Tim Duncan one of my fave non-pistons). and I want to see Drummond and Monroe getting more touches in the paint. I realize that Dre may not be entirely ready for that yet, but I did see him display some nimble moves for a big man. I would love to see the offense run more inside-outside where both Dre and Moose are involved in touching the ball. Stuckey and his chucking must end. Will and the perception that I had of him is of a guard that can't play without the ball in his hands. I just want to see development for the young pistons, not wasting every shot on a minimum vet that isn't a part of the future of this team.
  12. BillLaimbeer

Bynum does get into playground-mode at times. He was the best on the team at drive-and-dish. Knight was okay, but that's not his game...at least at this point. Stuckey only knows drive-and-collide. Bynum and Drummond showed some amazing chemistry.
  13. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I think we all would like Bynum more if the team hadn't constantly run plays to isolate him for a corner 3 as if he was Ray Allen.
    linwood likes this.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's the darnest thing... Will Bynum is always open at the 3-point line. Nice coaching.
  15. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

There is obviously some chemistry there, but I think it is mostly because he is the best at running the PnR on the team. His speed forces the switch and thats why Dre was always open
    linwood and Slippy like this.
  16. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Bynum has that talent to become a threat out of the pick and roll. Teams react or he makes them pay. Sometime he lobs Drummond and other times he throws it away. Sad thing is that there hasn't be anyone who could do that besides Jose.
  17. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
  18. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

Hoping for Burke now. He will never be a top tier PG, but I think his style could fit in nicely. Burke might not be as good as all the top PGs, but Greg Monroe is a better playmaker than most big men, so I guess it would make it even.
  19. BillLaimbeer

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Why can't Burke be as good as Chauncey?