Draft Picks / Free Agents / Trades; Let's talk targets

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Millsap can be, and has been, a starter in this league. Unless you haven't noticed, we are starting Maxiell right now. Millsap is a definite upgrade over Maxiell and is younger.

I don't think Smith is coming here at all. I just don't see it happening.

Also, for the record, Prince has been playing very well lately. Like someone else said in another thread, he still plays well and has a reasonable contract. We are just bored of him as fans.

I would like to see what evidence there is that Kaman is a good mentor. Just because a player is old and plays the same position as player X doesn't mean that he is able or willing to mentor that player. Plus, what exactly can Kaman teach Moose or Drummond? Throughout his career, Kaman has been an injury-prone, slightly above average center. I just don't understand why he's so valued by so many people in this forum, other than the fact that he's from Michigan.
  2. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That sounds vaguely familiar.
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

WAIT! How (or) did we miss this?
    Kevin Love unsure about Timberwolves' future - Yahoo! Sports

Yup, I would say bye-bye to Greg Monroe in a heartbeat to make Kevin Love a Piston! If we pull that trade off right we would still have cap room, now you can make a very appealing pitch to Josh Smith.
    A frontline of:
    Josh Smith / Andre Drummond / Kevin Love
    WOWZERS!!!!!!
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You talking Monroe/ Maggette in exchange for him?

Playing Devil's advocate here for a moment:
    While we'd be getting the league's 15th highest scorer and 2nd leading rebounder, we'd also be getting the following:

- a guy with a .395 eFG, which is lower than every single player on our team except for Maggette
    - the league's 249th best 3-point shooter (about the same % as Maggette). He's shooting much worse this year, so maybe it's a fluke so far.
    - a guy who shoots .469 INSIDE the paint and gets blocked on 15% of those attempts. Monroe shots .100 higher in there and Drummond .200 higher.
    - Love is 10th in the league in FG attempts per game at 16.9! There are only 2 other players in the top 100 in shot frequency who shoot a worse percentage than his .358. Eric Gordon at .333 and Bradley Beal at .357. So, basically he scores a lot because he shoots it as much as Harden and is in the bottom 3% of guys in terms of efficiency.

- the league's 156th best shot blocker. 33% worse than Monroe. He blocks a shot about once every 90 minutes. Drummond blocked 5 in 21 minutes in a game this year.
    - a guy who has never led his team to the playoffs in a league where 16 out of 30 teams make it each year (granted he was in the West where it isn't as easy as the East).
    - a guy who will still be owed over $55Mill over the remaining life of his contract.
    - a guy that feels ripped off for not getting the Franchise tag bestowed upon him.
    - a guy that Charles Barkley adores

Oh those shortcomings? We already have a guy with those.

In summary, we have a guy who is below average athletically from a leaping standpoint, but who is an exceptional rebounder (sort of like Monroe). He's a good passer and an average to below average defender (like Monroe). He can't block shots and gets blocked a lot himself (Monroe). The main differences are that when Love is having a good year he can stretch the floor with his 3-point shot, and we'd be replacing a very good rebounder with a great one.

However, Drummond is already the league's 6th highest frequency rebounder and he's only 19. How much rebounding can we get out of 2 guys with 1 basketball to grab. With Drummond and Monroe on the floor together this year, we are already the top rebounding team in the league. Do we really want to pay that much money to go from #1 to being #1 with a bigger lead?

On the offensive end, I'd personally prefer having Monroe's 12 shots per game at below average efficiency than Love's 17 shots a game with much worse efficiency.

We haven't even tested out what we have. You can't pull the trigger on a deal that massive without giving your existing combination a shot.

With the status quo, we can use Maggette's expiring to get another player and keep Monroe and Drummond as well. The upgrade from Monroe to Love isn't worth losing the ability to get another $10M player.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There was an entire thread dedicated to this about 3 weeks ago:

Kevin Love unsure about Timberwolves' future | Detroit Pistons Forum

You are too focused on the "Brandon Knight is a bust" threads.... :stirthepot:
    kpaav and BallDon'tLie like this.
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

kpaav and BallDon'tLie like this.
  7. Walter

8. BillLaimbeer

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Sounds like his hands are tied.
  10. Walter

Sounds like he's gearing up to go deja vu on the summer of Gordon/Villanueva instead of the winter of Sheed.
    Mogilny likes this.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

12. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I hope that Joe knows that it's ok to save that cheddar for later if he wants to.
    I have no problem with the team going in to the 13/14 season 25 million under the cap with everyone signed. I'm not gonna be one of those fans that whines about the team being cheap if they want to hold off on spending some bread until the right player comes along.

Noooooooo need to go dropping $60 Million for 5 years worth of freaking OJ Mayo or something.

(Sorry KGREG. OJ Mayo is this summer's Ben Gordon. Whoever he signs his next contract with is gonna be bummed!)
    linwood likes this.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Gore has done some calculations and come to the conclusion that the money is better spent by taking controlling interests in operating companies. Therefore, the payroll on the Pistons will wind down to the bare minimum and Platinum will increase its exposure in middle market manufacturing businesses. Most of the current bench will end up working on the line and will receive full benefits.
    linwood and roscoe36 like this.
  14. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

OJ Mayo production has already fallen off the cliff, especially since Dirk has been back. now, 4 years 24 million I can stomach
  15. Walter

4 yrs / $24M for Mayo is a horrible deal. That's pushing Stuckey territory there.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

2 million less per year for a much, much better player is bad?
    kpaav likes this.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

OJ Mayo scores at a higher rate than any player we have and he scores more efficiently than any player we have (including the on fire versions of Villanueva and Daye).

Mayo's TS% is a blazing .591. Daye is .577 and Drummond is .569 for comparison.

A volume shooter that creates his own and who shoots that high of a percentage is for sure worth $6M/year.

Only Kobe, Harden, DeRozen, and Joe Johnson have attempted more shots from the SG position this year and none of them shoot with Mayo's efficiency.

Mayo has the top 3P% of any SG at .459, ahead of Ray Allen's .456. That's pretty good considering Mayo attempts 33% more of them (way less selective). Also, according to a random comment on youtube, he leads the league in iso faceup FG%. If that is true, that is useful.

A 1 game highlight reel:
  18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I totally understand the sentiment of those who say no to Cousins over Monroe, but if Cousins really is on the block (and I believe that he is) I think we should get in on the action as a third or fourth team in an effort to shed Rodney Stuckey.
    For example:
    NBA Trade Machine - ESPN
    I'm entitled to dream aren't I?
  19. BillLaimbeer

If you're going to dream, why not try to get Vucevic instead of Afflalo?
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Because he's a center, we already have 2 of those. What we don't have is a legit SG.