Draft Picks / Free Agents / Trades; Let's talk targets

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Dec 24, 2012.

1. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

These conversations about Igoudala sound like the same conversations we had getting excited about CV and his 16 ppg with the bucks. Would I like Igoudala. Sure. I don't know the game like many on the board here, but never have I watched him and was like, yea, we need him for near max money. Hes been in losing teams except for when he was a quasi 3rd man on a deep Denver team. He is not the savior. As KGREG says and I agree. We need a stud wing to make this ship upright. Iggy is not s stud. Good yes. Stud no. I still think Joe should look around the league at the unhappy players (KLOVE?) and offer them the moon. Monore, Stuckey, #1 for Love. Throw in a pick or take back a bad contract. This is how we get a super star to the D. Not signing has beens or never was.
    linwood likes this.
  2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I wonder if Joe is still trying to fit model he had with the championship team where he found several good players that worked well together and he is making his decisions based on that.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's tougher to get excited about a defensive player that you don't regularly watch than it is an offensive player.
  4. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

After reading the pro-Iggy article I'm also on the Iggy bandwagon.
  5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

A three that shoots 60% does not have a refined touch. Simple as that. They are momentary strikes at the branches and not one who goes to the root.
  6. pass99

That's a good question mark. But, the aspects of combinations once had breathing room, and are no more.
    In the mirage, that the merry-go-round must ride its chosen route; little is asked on what it takes for this circular thing that has the asking of passengers.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Count me too as either in or out on Iggy depending on which article I just read.
  8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Iggy would be great as a part of the team.
    Iggy would be horrible if we treat him as the go-to franchise player (a la post-Billups Tayshaun Prince).
    coynejeremy likes this.
  9. pass99

Everyone wants a savior.
    He's good, no mistake about that.
    Three years ago, I would say he would grow into a leader and that would have been a natural progression for a developing team.
    A continuation would have had no problem with JD, and his understanding would follow the latter's understanding of pedigree.
    Now, the Piston hole is so deep, you can't afford the quiet longevity of leadership.
    Prince was that, and for his end, was Ishmael.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Steals, defensive win shares, and defensive rating seem to be his best rankings in the league. We need those things. And if it happens to be a SF who has averaged over 20 points per game in a playoff series, then even better.

Plus, Iggy is a guy that can guard the other teams' best player (i.e. the Kobe, Lebron, Durant types).
    The Panda and mikhail1973 like this.
  11. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The investment will be so large. I think we could get that wing defense cheaper and spread the other xash on more scoring now ir later. I can wait a year if I see a young team develop an identity. Whatver that be.
  12. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

I think I'm jumping on the Caldwell-Pope wagon. 6'6" SG who were top 5 in lane-agility and 3/4 court-sprint. 37% from deep.

I really see his potential. Great shooter and really fast/quick. Perfect to run off screens.

His weaknesses on Nbadraft.net isn't anything that have me worried. Not a great passer, prefers to take a contested jumpshot instead of trying to beat the defender off the dribble. Not very explosive, could use more body strenght.
  13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

This is a team devoid of talent and experience. Iggy would bring both. The guy is a perennial top 10 player at his position and top25 overall. In 3 years I still rather have an aging Iguodala over Gordon or CV in their primes. If another team offers the max then I'm not going to cry when we annoint Single the SFOTF but damn we have to try with a decent offer.
    Ernie the Slow Adult and tnt1960 like this.
  14. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No thanks. I'm waiting until Michael Jordan is available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

linwood likes this.
  16. mikhail1973

17. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Iggy is a great fit for a number of reasons.

He can stretch the floor, which is nice with our bigs.

He can run the floor. The Nuggets ran and ran last year. It's why they won more games than they probably should have. This Pistons team SHOULD be a transition team. Dre and Moose are transition bigs. Knight is outstanding in the open floor. He and Bynum actually look like good PGs when they are in the open court. Middleton is FAST from rim to rim, and even Singler can fill the wing. Having a veteran "star" who WANTS to get up and down the floor would help us become a tough transition team.

Iggy is a tough wing defender. Singler was a solid defender against some of the bigger SFs, but he had some trouble staying in front of the smaller, explosive wings. Middleton is quick, but not physical. Iggy would be our guy who checks the other team's best wing, whether a 2 or 3. That let's us pick our best defensive option with either Singler or Middleton.

Iggy can get his own shot in the half court. We don't have anybody like that.

Is he worth the money that he'll be commanding? No, but it's Gores' money. A fair contract for him would probably be in the 4 year, $40 million range. He'll get more than that. He didn't leave $16 million on the table to lose a bunch of cash. Now, I'm not sure how it works under the new CBA, but you used to be able to front-load contracts, and we have a ton of money this year that we shouldn't be using. Why not give him $18 million this year, $12 million next year, and $6-$7 million in the last two years? It works for us, and it works for him.
    Ernie the Slow Adult and Slippy like this.
  18. mikhail1973

I like the gradual decrease idea as I don't think it's a matter of Gores' money, but more of a matter of tying team's hands with a max type deal.
    linwood likes this.
  19. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

This biggest problem that most people have is that in year 4 he'd be getting $16mil for $8 mil production and hamstringing signing of key guys. We have the space now to go all in to establish a winning culture. Front load and sign monroe to a standard increasing salary structure.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think it is a stretch to say that Iggy can stretch the floor. He can shoot some 3's, but he's not deadly from out there.