Draft Picks / Free Agents / Trades; Let's talk targets

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Its the size of the noseplug that indicates how much of a dweeb you are.
  2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

That's pretty much the way I see it too Slip.
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

Now I'm officially off the Noah Hartsock bandwagon.
    Slippy likes this.
  4. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

BoT could use his as a life raft............
  5. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Awesome, awesome, awesome awesome awesome. You should send that suggestion through to Dumars in an email with the title "Free buckets of triple butter popcorn". It is that good.

I'm glad someone finally agrees with me on the Korver signing. Yeah he is 32. But his game doesn't require extreme athleticism. He is one of the best catch and shoot players in the league and is scary good from 3pt range. He has shot over 50% for a season from deep. If he is rolling through screens on the perimeter, the defense has to stretch to cover him. It's the Steph Curry dilemma - do you roll under the screen to prevent the drive or pass, or roll over to stop the shot.

I'm not sure I agree 100% with the Blatche signing. I'm not a huge fan of him. But the Monroe trade? Had never crossed my mind we could try and swing a 3 & D player like KLeonard. SAS may be reluctant because he is soon due for a payrise, but he would be extremely good cover for an aging Duncan and Thiago Splitter aka Kwame Brown 2.0. I think they would at minimum consider a straight swap. But we may have to toss in a sweetener.

Also, your follow up post was fantastic. I had a smile on my face the whole time
    Korver only needs to do two things:
    Rain 3pt shots off screens (which he is extremely good at)
    Play a bit of defense.
  6. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

I'm thinking a lot right now - not about what I'd do, or what I think we should do - but what Joe-D's going to do/what's going to actually happen. Not sure I'm getting anywhere, but, please, bare with me..

Draft: I don't know.
    -If Bennett slips to us, I think we have to take him. It'd give us a nice three-big-man-rotation and a plus defender at the 3. If his perimeter skills evolve, he could be an all-star 3. It might make trading Monroe for an all-star perimeter player more possible. If he's there and we take him, I like it.
    -If he doesn't, I like McCollum a lot (I mean, a lot).
    -There's a chance we take Shabazz too, for sure.
    -There's a chance we do something weirder (Len/Zeller, Caldwell-Pope, Carter-Williams, etc.)
    -There's a chance we do something even weirder (!?!?!)

Off-season: Again, I don't know.
    -One thing's for sure, Joe-D wants to make a trade. Probably to acquire a 2 or 3 who can shoot from outside and defend. Who's that going to be? I have no clue. Who are we going to give up to get him? Joe-D seems to think that his expiring contracts have all the value in the world (as he has for sometime now), but I'm guessing that a future 1st rd. pick will end up being the centerpiece.-Free agency. There aren't a ton of great fits out there. If we don't draft McCollum, I'd imagine that we attempt to resign Calderon (and go for someone else if we can't, like a Jarrett Jack). In any event, I think we'll look to add a 2 or a 3 who can shoot from outside and defend as well. O.J. Mayo - who we'll have to, and I think will, overpay - seems to make the most sense of the middling choices.
    -Depth acquisitions. Not going to get into it right now.

Best case?

C: A. Drummond, S. Kravtsov
    PF: G. Monroe, J. Jerebko
    SF: A. Bennett, K. Middleton
    SG: *Trade*, K. Singler
    PG: J. Calderon, B. Knight

Bennett slips. We take him. He's a great defender at the 3 and logs some minutes at the 4. His outside shot and perimeter skills continue to develop. He becomes an all-star. Though, McCollum might be more likely..

Joe-D pulls a rabbit out of his hat, the perfect opportunity presents itself, and Joe-D is able to swing Charlie-V's expiring contract and a future 1st-round pick for a border-line all-star wing entering his prime who can score (preferably from deep) and defend. Though, Mayo might be more likely..

Calderon is brought back to run the point for a season or two and groom Knight (who Joe-D, I'm sure, still believes in as a point). Rest of the roster is rounded out effectively.

**More likely:
    C: A. Drummond, J. Maxiel, S. Kravtsov
    PF: G. Monroe, J. Jerebko, C. Villanueva
    SF: K. Singler, K. Middleton
    SG: O. Mayo, R. Stuckey
    PG: C. McCollum, B. Knight
  7. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

It's not a bad plan, but there are some flaws.

Calderon can't guard anybody. Even with P&R help, he's still putting strain on the entire team. His defense is just that bad. I watched our guys collapse to cover him and then get killed trying to close out on shooters too many times. He's not a starter on a winning team. 18-20 minutes off of the bench? Sure.

Iggy can guard either wing position, but he needs to play the 3. He's an open floor guy that can kill the baseline, and nail the catch and shoot three ball. He can't play the two.

I know, that you know, that Josh Smith can neither defend SFs, or shoot the ball well enough to play the 3. He's a stretch 4. Message egos all you want, we still can't have a dysfunctional lineup for the first 7-8 minutes every half. I'm not against signing him, but it means that GM comes off of the bench, even though he's better than Smith.

With your personnel-

PG: Knight/ Calderon
    SG: CJ/ Middelton/ English
    SF: Igoudala/ Singler
    PF: Josh Smith/ Monroe/ JJ
    C: Drummond/ Monroe/ FA

That team is deep and tough.
  8. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

Call me crazy, but what about trading for Deng, and take on Boozer's contract aswell? 8th pick + Charlie V + Stuckey for Boozer + Deng + 20th pick.
    I don't see why Bulls wouldn't bite for it. They have Gibson ready to take on Boozer's minutes.

Bulls could grab Shabazz or McCollum to get that scorer on the wing they have been missing for years now. They will also get some cap relief for the 2014 FA class.

We would end up with one of the best defenders on the perimeter, plus our inside-rotation would be almost unfair. Monroe/Drummond/Boozer (unless we amnesty Boozer).
  9. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

They wouldn't do it for the following reasons:
    1) Boozer is still a good inside player.
    2) Deng still has value at the 3.
    3) They're not going to get anyone particularly good at #8.
    4) Charlie V and Stuckey are overpriced garbage.
    5) They would be weakening themselves and helping a team in their division.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I think Chicago likes their position considering that they didn't have D-Rose this year. They are only $3M above the luxury cap and for a large market team that peanuts, they have $5M option on Rip which I'm sure they will decline and that will put them under the luxury cap. The question is.....will they re-sign Nate Robinson and Bellinelli? I don't think that they will move Deng for the ability to keep Robinson and Bellinelli.
  11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

If I was Joe here's what I'd do:
    Fire a few coaches.
    Eat some popcorn.
    ...then trade the 2013 #8 pick to OKC for #12 and #29.
  12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Two down, one to go.
  13. Kerghan

Kerghan First Round Draft Pick

You guys do realise that if you give such major money to numerous free agents and cap yourself out then you won't be able to resign / extend the likes of Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond when their contracts come up due to the massive luxury taxes??
    linwood likes this.
  14. max

max All-Star

I am not sure who is best to sign but have to have some space avail to sign guys after their rookie contracts end. Monroe will not be chaep as he already turned down one extension and is going for the gold next summer. May even want to consider trading him.
    pass99 likes this.
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Perhaps Gores doesn't mind paying some taxes.
    BallDon'tLie and S.J. like this.
  16. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Like Low above, we just don't know the mindset of Gores. Alot of BS rhetoric being thrown around the last few years.
    You will have to pay big to keep and have perceptions about approaching 30's ( as in age) and those just coming off their rookie contracts.
    Working on past history, JD has no clue and Gores is realistic enough that some Plan B must be in place (the Jackson decision process).
    If you are about (perhaps) to step into deeper water (we're talking minor luxury tax area), then the buoyancy of your life jacked must be secured (follow-through coaching).
  17. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

This is an issue. Monroe will probably command somewhere in the neighborhood of $12 million, and Drummond probably somewhere around there two years after that. Thankfully, Monroe is signed this year and has a qualifying offer next year, so he isn't going anywhere. Knight and Drummond are the only guys signed for 2015, and cheaply at that; Drummond isn't going to get his second contract until 2017/2018, so there's no real reason to worry about it right now.
  18. max

max All-Star

Qualifying offer means you have to match any other offer? So if someone offers him 12 mil/yr then we have to offer him the same to keep him - right? Its never come to that with any of our rookies but I think thats how it works.

With Drummond he has team option in 14 and 15 and his qualifying year is 2016/17 but you dont want it to get to that and hopefully extend him in 15/16. So that is only 1 more year with Monroe on the cheap and 2 more with Drummond. Note that we tried to extend Monroe but he turned it down.
  19. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

I think our #1 priority should be to make sure we can keep Drummond beyond his current contract.
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Who ever we sign THIS summer is going to be signed for 4 years. Drummond has 3 years left on his rookie contract. Worse case scenario is that we end up slightly over the luxury cap for 1 year.