Draft Picks / Free Agents / Trades; Let's talk targets

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Dec 24, 2012.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I wouldn't take him above McCollum or Muhammed. Although the odds are against him, Muhammed still may end up being a superstar, KCP won't, IMO KCP is a step above Kym English.
  2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Would you consider KCP if both McCollum and Muhammed are gone? Would you take him over Carter-Williams?
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

That won't even be an issue. Question is, would you trade with Dallas to obtain him? No. We REALLY REALLY need a couple of vets on this team to lead it.
  4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

NBA Draft 2013: Anthony Bennett's DBB scouting report - Detroit Bad Boys

I thought he had a nice skillset then I read DBB. Man what a buzzkill. At 8 he'd be hard to pass up. Hopefully he'll workout for the team and they'll have good data on him.
  5. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Mayo at $5 million, I can swallow. But that isn't what we are going to offer him. He will be the next Ben Gordon if we offer him a 4 year, $8-10m contract. I promise that.

Martin is just plain not worth it. We simply cannot sign a 3rd or 4th option to be our #1 or #2. Yeah he can shoot, but I'd rather JJ Redick for cheaper because he is better. Martin was in the right place at the right time and he won't turn down another big contract.

I'll say it again, if we want a true spacing threat, sign Kyle Korver. He is big enough to be a neutral defender, maybe even a plus, and he can absolutely stroke it. He set a record for hitting a 3pt shot in consecutive games at like 60.

Are they going to trade for cash or future picks? My guess is (since they are dealing with LA) is that they want to give LA lots of picks. We don't have lots of picks to give. The 13th could net us KCP

QFT. We need a calming influence on the floor. Too often the team makes careless mistakes because they try and run it too fast and don't think. Chris Paul is so good because he makes everyone around him slow down, and make the play.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  6. Slippy

OK How about this:
    We take on Shawn Marion's $9 mill contract + 13th pick in the draft. We give up our 38th pick and 2014 2nd rnder. It allows Dallas to pay OJ and max Dwight Howard. They can draft talent to stash since their money is tied up.

Shawn Marion is our starting SF with Singler/Middleton off the bench. With the 13th pick you can round out the front court or pick Giannis to stash for a year in Greece or sit on the bench.
    Laimbrane, blueadams and The Panda like this.
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Those guys are clueless. Here are highlights from just one game early in his freshman season:

8. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yep, Mayo really struggled in the 2nd half of the season, he couldn't keep it going. Some team will offer 8 mil or more. I don't like the idea of paying SG's big bucks unless they have proven track records at least.

Martin was so inconsistent in the playoffs. Disappeared from one game to the next. He's already making 12 mil. No way I would want to pay him anywhere near that.

I'd be down with Korver. He made 5 mil this year and will probably command closer to 6 or 7 in his next deal. We could lock him up for a while and he'd start next season without us blowing our cash on him. Then if we splash out in 2014 and we get a better player/s he would be a great 6th man.

My preference is not to over-pay anyone this off-season so I would consider these players as cheap stop-gaps for this season with future potential as role players post 2014. Specifically SG/SF. Not sexy but fill the criteria.

Randy Foye
    Chase Budinger
    Dorrell Wright
    Mike Dunleavy
    Martell Webster
  9. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Here's a question for people. What decision is more important, the draft or coach? I think most will agree that the coach may make or break this off season and the future of the franchise, which makes me even more scared about what Joe D is to do. I think next year our "star lottery rookie" will be Drummond implanted into the starting line-up. This alone should vault us up the East standings. Now, if we can get a coach that can actually connect to this piece-meal roster and make some tangible effort to improve the players either through coaching up their skills or putting them into a scenario that they can achieve in (I am looking at BK, Middleton, and to a lesser extent Jerebko) we might be on to something. The draft choice IMHO is just a crap shoot. No one is blowing me away and really whomever we choose, I feel their success is riding heavily on the coach regardless. I truly see glimpses of talent on this roster it just hasn't solidified at all.

With that said, Joe should scan the horizons and see that success is achieved nowadays with great shooting (spacing) and perimeter defense. See Memphis, Chicago, Indy, etc. Where will our scoring come from? The inside presence and the open threes from the shooters. Shooters can be had for cheap too. The days of investing in high volume wings and combo guards is long gone, and it is time we get with the program. I look at this draft and whomever can shoot and has a lick of defensive ability (effort or size) I snatch him up. Fill the rest of the roster with shooter role players and wait for the inevitable salary dump a la Houston with Harden or see if Drummond-Monore is the real deal.
    Slippy and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Works for me.
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There is lots of talk about picking up scorers/shooters/etc to open up the offense.

The top two defenses in the NBA this season were:

1. Memphis (89.3 PA)
    2. Indiana (89.8 PA)

Who thought those two teams would still be playing right now?

When the Pistons were last contending (2003, 2004 - 84.3 PA), they were #1 in the league in points allowed.

Whomever the Pistons pick up through free agency and the draft, they need to be able to play defense.
    Laimbrane, linwood and The Panda like this.
  12. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Defense isn't sexy. It's also cheap.

Thats what we should be going for. Drummond is the centrepiece.
    linwood likes this.
  13. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

Ha!
  14. S.J.

S.J. Bench Warmer Forum Donor

No Kevin Martin with a pistons jersey, I repeat.

Mayo? .. I don't have a problem with him coming for the right money.. but if Mayo is coming, there MUST be a getaway to the Stuckey situation.. I don't want to see another year Stuckey and another Shooting guard fighting for the starting spot. Give Stuckey his paycheck and send him home or trade him to anybody for anybody. Then we can talk who we need at shooting guard.

At SF... We will have to wait and see who will REALLY BE available..
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I'd have more faith if it said you were going to be responsible for transitioning him to SF than the Pistons, but this might not be a bad pick for them. Even if he can't play the 3 (I see the Corliss comparison already.) he should be able to play right away as a back-up 4/going small guy.

The Pistons would still need some athaletes at the 1,2 and 3 if they went this way.
  16. Slippy

I'd prefer Oladipo but he's rising and we...well we took a step back. Opening the floor is like a consolation prize.
  17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Agree webz.
    I like your list of stop-gap dudes much better than signing Martin or Mayo to turd-like deals.
    I'd replace Dunleavy with Corey Brewer on your list. The dude is an absolute shut-down defender and can hit shots when called upon. And he doesn't have Dunleavy's 60 year old legs.
    J-Train likes this.
  18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I see Bennett as the 2nd coming of Rodney Rogers, but I'm not sure if he's as explosive as RR was.
    J-Train likes this.
  19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

My (Piston) draft board:
    1. Trey Burke
    2. Otto Porter
    3. Victor Oladipo
    4. CJ McCollum
    5. Shabazz Muhammed
    6. Anthony Bennett
    I wouldn't try and move up to get any of these guys and I realize that the top 3 would have to slip in order for us to get them. I don't like Bennett at all for this team, CJ is cool and I could live with Shabazz as a- Boom or Bust, pick.
  20. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

1. Oladipo
    2. McCollum
    3. Trade Down (for 2 1st rounders)
    4. Trey Burke
    5. Bennett