Draft Picks / Free Agents / Trades; Let's talk targets

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

It'd be hilarious is we trade for Turner then a few days later sign collins as coach...

I mean hilarious in a french film sort of tragic way...with mimes.

Mogilny, linwood and coynejeremy like this.
  2. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

There is nothing to suggest that Evan Turner will be a highly productive player. He shoots too many midrange shots and can't hit the long ball. He is a homeless mans Josh Smith at the point. Just less productive, efficient, athletic.

3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think it is a Y-U-G-E mistake to load up on defense only players so the Pistons can try and replicate the Bad Boys. Zach Lowe at Grantland has been pointing out recently that smart (read: good) NBA defenses make you pay when you play with non-shooters on the court.

I'd like to see the Pistons make moves for these kind of guys to round out the roster. Luckily Aaron Afflalo is on the list! Singler and Middleton made the lint trap part of the list, but at least they made it! (I presume this means that Singleton made it also.)
    Players like Shane Battier are harder to find than conventional wisdom suggests - Grantland

linwood likes this.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Ben Wallace got away with it because he was useful in other ways on offense due to his physical abilities (pick setter, occasional dunker, and tremendous offensive rebounder). If you can't do any of those things, then yeah, you better be able to shoot the 3.

5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The article was talking about perimeter players which is why the 3 pt shooting is so important. That's where the Pistons have needs also.

I'd rather the Pistons scrape the bottom of this barrel while they figure out what they have instead of signing a non-game changer to big money just so they can say they did something.

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  6. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

That was a good read... thank you. It also kind of explains why the team seemed to play well when Singler and Middleton were on the floor, even though they didn't really DO anything.

7. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Good Article.

I don't see Singler improving THAT much in defense. But Middleton is a mistery.

8. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Middleton could be a more athletic Battier.

There are two things about Singler's defense that I really like. One, he moves his feet, and plays great position defense.

Two, he's big. I didn't realize how big and strong Singler was until I saw him courtside. He's a big, tough, physical dude. His physicality gives a lot of guys problems. He just beats up a lot of NBA swingmen.

The Panda likes this.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

10. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

FIFY

I'm leery of this group, because I don't see any potential superstars. I'm hoping that the Pistons pull a rabbit out of their hats on this one.

11. BillLaimbeer

Of the 77 entering the draft, 31 are international players and 46 are from U.S. colleges. That's a lot of guys to scout.

12. Slippy

I wonder how the "3 and D" swingman meshes with the stretch 4. If you have a stretch 4, does that negate the need for perimeter scoring from the 3? Joe D may have contructed the antithesis to the Thibedeau system...besides the inverse level of talent.

13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

So let's assume we draft Shabazz Muhammed.
    We bought in early on, but many feel like it was all hype after watching him this season at UCLA. BUt the kid was in an awful situation under a coach who was- one the hot seat, who had a player mutiny going on and who handcuffs his players offensively. Let's say we draft Muhammed and re-sign Calderon (at no more than $7.5 M/yr), and let's say Singler and Middleton put in some work this summer and become one of these defensive SF's mentioned in the above article who can consistently nail the triple.....we may be OK and we'll have CV's, and Rodney Stuckey's contracts coming off the books going into free agency next summer (2014). We'll have to re-sign GM (at about $12.5M/year) but that will still leave us with about $22M in cap space to get a free agent or make a financially lopsided trade.

14. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Shabazz Muhammed can certainly score. I have three main concerns with him.

One is the off the court stuff. I think that needs to be looked at very closely.

Two, he really didn't show any improvement all year. At 20 years old, you have to look at him as a Junior, not a one and done freshmen. What's his upside?

Three, his stats are disconcerting. Sure, his scoring is impressive, and rebounding rate is acceptable, but he does literally nothing else. He had FOUR blocks all year. That implies a lack of athleticism and a serious lack of effort on the defensive end. He averaged .8 assists with a TO/Assist ratio of 2/1. How does a guy like him average less than 1 assist per game?

I would probably pass on Calderon. I love him offensively, but he has to be the worst defensive guard in the league. I could get behind signing him for 3 years/ 12 million or so. I think that you need to be able to trade him as soon as your coach decides that he can't keep him in the rotation.

15. BillLaimbeer

Nothing gets me more fired up for a season than a team that "may be OK."

Slippy and BallDon'tLie like this.
  16. The Panda

The bigger issue is steal rate, which is generally taken to be a good measure of athleticism. Shabazz never gets steals. Not many players with such low steal rates in college end up as good players in the NBA. The fact that he never passes worries me. We don't need a guy who is a superstar in his own mind. I haven't got time for that. Nobody does.

I think Calderon is an amazing PG, and a great floor spacer. We need both those things and we haven't many other places to look.

[​IMG]

17. Slippy

Victor Oladipo workout

18. The Panda

Yeh he is ok.

But can he blow a through the leg dunk on the warm up line?

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  19. BillLaimbeer

This statement is way "out there." Do you have any data to support this claim?

20. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Good exposure to some of the hundreds of drills now training the youngsters and people wonder why they have become more physically advanced.

For his height, not a very good vertical lift on his jump shot. Needs a square-up and this will hurt him in a 2-3 position.

The biggest headache for JD will be the direction he takes concerning the 1-2 positions. All else will follow. I would (right now) go with K. Martin and convert CJ (draft) into a point guard. Knight remains and splits these two positions (eventually) coming off the bench. Jose will have to walk because he will get over-paid and JD has dug a deeper holes elsewhere. CJ will be available, or else it will be a big man in this draft. Regardless, he will have to get high value for Stuckey to even things out at the 1-2 positions (and this is still a problem area after how many years?).