Draft Picks / Free Agents / Trades; Let's talk targets

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Dec 24, 2012.

1. drmcgraw2000

drmcgraw2000 First Round Draft Pick

The Panda, Mogilny, Walter and Pass99 basically summed up what would have been my reply. I guess the only other thing I would add is that if the players played the defense you categorized each of them as, our record would probably not be bottom 4. I would also disagree with one thing that Walter said and it relates to Calderon's defense. Personally, I think his defense is terrible. I guess the only saving grace is there are not many lock down defenders at the PG position to begin with.

Pass99, who is the guy you want drafted? Based on your description I will assume it is either Noel, Zeller or Bennett. Without overvaluing Monroe, if you were JD, who would you trade him for? Keeping in mind the trading partner 1) needs a C/PF 2) willing to give up the asset you are trading for 3) makes sense for both teams. I ask because I can't think of a team that has a player we could use and could use Monroe (assuming each team gets equal value).
  2. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

All I have to say about Monroe's defense..... Until we get a sample of him and Drummond starting together I am reserving judgment saying he can't play D well enough for us. Drummond made CV look ok.... CV..
    del likes this.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree. Monroe's incapable of single handedly defending opponents, but it's possible that he could do his job adequately next to the soon-to-be best center in the East.
    linwood likes this.
  4. drmcgraw2000

drmcgraw2000 First Round Draft Pick

You guys are probably right, but my big concern is that many teams will go small against us and it will be a game of chicken to see who holds their ground. And I am afraid that Frank will concede quickly instead of forcing it.

Let me ask you guys something. What would you think if JD cleared as much cap as he could (meaning bye bye CV and RS)? Assuming that was enough cap space, turn around an offer both Dwight Howard and Chris Paul max contracts, knowing well they would say no. Do you think it would send a message to the rest of the league, free agents (both current and future) that the Pistons are going to be a winning franchise again and change the negative perception that has been created over the last 6 years? I guess the main question is, would the league, agents and players take notice and could JD parlay that into signing top of the line FA or getting unhappy players to force trade themselves to Detroit? At the end of the day, that's what matters....
  5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I like the part where Charlie & Stuckey are gone.
    Laimbrane and del like this.
  6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I'd say no. Plenty of teams have been clearing space for the summer of Lebron, and then the summer of Paul and summer of Howard (which got postponed a year). Many of those teams had to settle for, or end up overpaying for 2nd tier talent. That's an all-in proposition which doesn't really mesh with growing through youth, which apparently is what we are doing.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

DHo might chase max money, but Chris Paul will take a hard look at the composition of the team you are offering him.

He won't come to detroit even if we had his bird rights.
  8. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

If this individual becomes an immediate starter or soon thereafter, then it will make what comes next the key development. This means major trades and signings on the hope he can replace Monroe.
    Nemo likes this.
  9. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

You had me at "bye bye CV and RS."
  10. Laimbrane

You're right that Paul won't come to Detroit, but as mcgraw mentioned, Dumars bringing him in and making him an offer slightly below max is win-win for both parties. It helps Paul out by inflating his value (not that he doesn't have it) and it helps Detroit by making it look like they think they're right there.

That's a sad thought about the state of affairs, isn't it... "bring in Paul to pretend to want to sign with Detroit?" Should we pay him to say nice things as well?
  11. Laimbrane

Monroe is good enough to defend guys in the post when he's already on them - he can make it tough on them to get the ball if he's playing them close. The problems with Monroe are that a) he's not quick enough as a help-defender, and b) he's not quick enough to keep guys from driving around him. That's where I'm hoping Drummond helps out as a deterring weak-side shot-blocker.

I still would entertain thoughts of trading Monroe to San Antonio for Kawhi Leonard and a 1st, though.
  12. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

It's not just about Monroe's ability to defend, he really just is not engaged on the defensive end. He doesn't want to go and provide help defence, which is why he is slow to do so.

You just have to look at him RUNNING away from the lane in the game against GSW to avoid getting dunked on to see how much he is disengaged on D.
  13. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

How can you inflate possibly inflate the value of arguably the best PG in the league by low-balling him on his last prime contract?

The Pistons seem to be taking a similar approach to rebuilding that the Pacers did (there may be better examples but can't think of them ATM). This team has to be competitive in the free agent market getting those 2nd tier players to come in and make a difference a la David West. But that means the Pistons will have to draft as well as the Pacers have getting past All-Star Danny Granger, current All-Star & future superstar Paul Geroge, and future All-Star Roy Hibbert.

Basically, this team can't afford to blow this pick. Especially the with the lack of wing talent on the roster.
  14. BallDon'tLie

If we could get a "Paul George" I'd be doing backflips off of my desk.
    He might be the best player in the league who is playing on a rookie contract right now.
    ...Dude's a baller!

Drummond will be better than Hibbert.
    Monroe & West are already about equal aren't they?
  15. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Drummond and Monroe are this team's hope for the future. But the wing is bombed out and depleted. Gerald Green would have a case as the team's best wing. Gerald Green.
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

If the wings are so bad why no talk of Otto Porter? That's the closest you're going to get to a Danny Granger type player in THIS draft, and let's face it, there aren't many wings on the horizon.
  17. linwood

linwood All-Star

After watching Otto Porter score 4 points in 29 minutes against Florida Gulf Coast University, I'm not so sure he's the answer.

Not saying he isn't a good/great player, just not sure how he handles pressure/competition. I'm sure there are plenty of players that didn't have great college success that went on to success in the NBA... but there are plenty of great college players that washed out at the next level, and Porter seems like a big risk as a lottery pick.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yea, look at Rodney White and Walter Sharpe.
    linwood likes this.
  19. BallDon'tLie

Walter Sharpe was a sleeper.
    :drum: :6shoot::beer::cheerleader:
    :cheers::chopper::falloff::lol:
    :cheerlie-GOAL::p welldone:
    :dance::djparty: :doh:
    :high5::llama::washing::whoo:
    Slippy, CarlosGallan, linwood and 2 others like this.
  20. Laimbrane

It never really gets old, does it?
    Nemo, BallDon'tLie and linwood like this.