Draft Picks / Free Agents / Trades; Let's talk targets

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

James, Kobe, Shaq.............
  2. max

max All-Star

What I would do if I was GM - I would keep Drummond and open everyone else up for trades, that includes Knight and Monroe. I still like them but to get something you have to give something. Only guy that really has an honest chance of being a super star is Drummond. Everyone else can be good but we need to shake things up a bit, maybe even bring in a few young vets.
  3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Yup.
  4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

James for sure. Who can forget that championship-level defense?

[​IMG]
    brofmfa, basketbills and roscoe36 like this.
  5. BallDon'tLie

6. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Tough..... by the narrowest of margins I'd take Shaq over James, only because a dominate Big man with some college experience would have a slightly higher ceiling for me then a SF.
  7. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

C: Drummond, Kaman, Kravtsov

PF: Monroe, Jerebko

SF: *FA*Josh Smith, Prince, Singler, Middleton

SG: *1st*Ben McLemore, Stuckey, English

PG: *BKTrade*Trey Burke, Billups

I'd love to see it.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

We'll never acquire Josh Smith as long as Tay is here. Tay is not going to come off the bench.

I don't understand why people are still infatuated with Kaman. When he isn't injured, he's underperforming.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Agreed. Kaman is not a big enough upgrade to bother going after. He averages 60 games per season after multiple injuries and is 30 years old. He's a good player, but you'd think that he is in danger of dropping off in the next couple years.
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I hate bringing up the past, but without unlucky pick of the draw or draft pick in 2003, we could have already had Kaman in his formative years....since we were originally slated for the sixth pick after the Otis Thorpe trade with the Grizzlies.
  11. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I think Dumars needs to move Monroe. I like the guy, and I think he's one that can help a championship team, but I think he's reached his ceiling and I think other teams will overpay for him. Sell high, as they say.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

In a perfect world..........We trade Brandon Knight and Tayshaun Prince for draft picks and we walk out of the draft with Trey Burke, Otto Porter and Ben McClemore. Because Trey is generously listed as 6'0" tall he's getting NO love from the scouts, they list guys like Marcus Smart-6'4" from OK State and can't shoot a lick, and Michael Carter Williams-6'6" from Syracuse and can't shoot a lick either waaaay ahead of him.....nut they're nothing more than 2.0 Versions of Javaris Crittendon and Shaun Livingston. Other guys I'd be happy to get out of the draft:
    Shabazz Muhammed (SG/SF), Archie Goodwin (SG)....haven't seen the kid out of UNLV, Anthony Bennett (SF) yet, but I'll be watching him very closely when they play against the Tarheels this Saturday.

In a perfect world.......we end up with 2 draft picks because we've traded Tayshaun and/or Brandon Knight to move up (or down in the draft) and we amnesty BoT. With a pile of cash who do we target? I'm leaning towards Paul Millsap. We're very competitive when Maxiel gives us Millsap-like production....so why not go and get Paul Millsap? Plus Millsap can come off the bench and give you great production and this year he's extended his range all the way out to the 3 pt line (albeit a very limited sample size, he's 12-26). I'm also looking at OJ Mayo this season, let's see if he can maintain his hot shooting as the season progresses. I don't see Josh Smith leaving Atlanta for Detroit, or leaving the Hawks to become a Piston.

Perfect World Roster:
    PG: Trey Burke / Rodney Stuckey
    SG: OJ Mayo / Ben McLemore / Kym English
    SF: Otto Porter / Kyle Singler
    PF: Greg Monroe / Paul Millsap / Jonas
    C: Andre Drummond / Greg Monroe / TRG
    Walter and basketbills like this.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Yeah but Greg Monroe is a Top 10 PF/C. I get just as frustrated with the guy as anybody else but he's still averaging 15 & 9. I have confidence that he'll get more confident in that jumpshot, and with Dre behind him he won't look as bad as he currently does on defense....I mean think about it.....Daye and BoT are even serviceable defenders when Dre is in the game.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm looking forward to seeing this become a reality. While GM isn't a paint protector, he does certain things well on D that may mesh with Drummond (similar to how they could mesh on offense with different skill sets).

I remember the chain reaction that occurred when Charles Woodson was at Michigan. He'd guard the other team's best receiver with single coverage. That would allow a double on someone else or an extra rusher, which would allow a lightly blocked rusher to pressure the QB, which would cause an INT from a quickly thrown pass, etc. Everybody became a better defender because of him.

With a big time shot blocker, our perimeter D should improve significantly as Knight, Singler, and Tay step out to use their length to bother jump shots. Monroe can gather the boards and be the intelligent help defender when Andre leaves his man to negate the blow-bys. This is backstop system is the reason that Tay was considered a strong defender in 2004-2006 and not so much anymore. Daye could be similar to Tay in that regard (great length, but too tall to keep guys in front without sagging off too far).
    blueadams and linwood like this.
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That team could probably make the playoffs.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

More than any player moves Lawrence Frank has got to go. He is absolutely KILLING the Pistons this year.
  17. BallDon'tLie

18. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Depth chart

PF: Jason Maxiell, Chaz Villaneuva, Austin Daye, Jonas Jerebko

That's the reason Monroe can't get more than spot minutes at PF.
  19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Eh....but the league LOVES young players, so you could possibly do what Houston did and dangle some young players in a trade and possibly acquire a superstar.
  20. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I think we need to dangle our number 1 to Atlanta for there 2 first rounders.... Burke which seems to be the forums golden child (I'll admit I'm sipping the koolaid too) should fall to one of there picks and we can get another solid player with the 2nd pick. From the looks of it the top 10 is full of PF and C's so maybe they will bite.