Draft Picks / Free Agents / Trades; Let's talk targets

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Dec 24, 2012.

1. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

That thread's old as hell and the last several pages of comments were just a series of inside jokes ~ as all threads seem to become.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Conversations run out of steam sometimes. Please reboot the existing thread where you can, because new threads just split the topic up and make it harder to follow.
  3. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Thats garbage. And that is why I expect Joe D to take Oladipo over nearly anyone else in the draft.

Our biggest problem is defense. Not offense. You don't beat the Heat with pace and shooting. You beat them by locking them down in half court and forcing Iso plays. We don't get super free agents, so we need blue collar, dirty defenders. People who don't care about stat sheets.

Drummond brought us up the 18th place in the defensive efficiency. 18th! There are so many scorers out there, but they are all overpaid.
    linwood likes this.
  4. linwood

linwood All-Star

Couldn't agree more.
  5. MARK MADSEN!

MARK MADSEN! First Round Draft Pick

NERLENS NOEL FALLS TO FOUR AND WE GET THE MOST ATHLETIC FRONT COURT OF ALL TIME

I have no problem with Oladipo or Porter. Oladipo will be able to guard anything from 1s to 3s.
  6. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

I always worry about ligament damage for long term athletes. Particularly explosive ones.

Oladipo at the 2 gets rid of stuckey and really shores up our defense. Even if his offense is just servicable (a la singler) the defense is key.
  7. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'm not Jerry West but I think that drafting a dude who can play offense AND defense would be a pretty good idea.
    Is there a guy in the draft like that?
  8. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Not necessarily. Noel and Oladipo appear to be the cream of the crop defensively, but neither has much of an offensive game (though Oladipo's is nonetheless significantly better than Noel's). McLemore and Muhammad appear to be the best offensive players, but McLemore will probably be gone and Muhammad is not an oustanding defender.
  9. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I know it's totally me being a biased MSU fan and he's probably not coming out this year, but I'd love to see Adreian Payne in the D. He's averaging 10/7.5 in 25 mpg (14/11 per 36), is shooting over 44% on 3's (only 13/29, but still...), shoots 56.6% from the field and has raised his free throw % from 48.6% to 69.7% to 81.2% since his freshman year.
  10. S.J.

S.J. Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Otto Porter's defense is good? Anyone who has seen Gtown games?
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

His NBA comparison is Tayshaun Prince. lol.

Strengths: Porter is a rising Soph. wing prospect with a lot of raw potential after emerging into an important player for Georgetown despite being a lightly touted late bloomer out of HS … Pretty unique type of player with an unorthodox style … Possesses great size and length on the wing at 6’8 with a lot of length, (7'1 wingspan) and a 205 lb frame that can definitely add plenty of muscle … Very smooth athleticism and nice balance for a guy his height … Plays a smart, composed game as you’d expect from a JT3-coached player … Understands his role on both ends, and rarely plays outside of his own comfort zone … Moves very well off the ball, and presents himself with about 2 or 3 very high percentage shots every game … Not going to make many mistakes finishing around the rim, where his solid athleticism and imposing length are all beneficial to him ... Effective with unorthodox short range jumpers from just outside of the paint … Heady passer, who will reward cutters when there is a passing lane to do so … Doesn’t need to hold the ball for a lot of time to make an impact when on the court … Unselfish … Good rebounder on both ends of the floor partially due to his length, and is also willing to dive on the floor and get physical on the glass…Has the ability to get chase down blocks when beaten off the dribble, and is never completely out of plays defensively when defending 1-on-1 … Enough length to effectively defend SF’s of any size in the long term … Will continue to get better as he adds strength and polish … Was productive for a guy who wasn’t heavily relied upon last season … Will probably benefit a lot by the experience he gained this past year ...

Weaknesses: Right now, Porter is a very raw prospect with a lot of work to do to reach his untapped potential … Poor jump shooter right now, shot just above 20% on 3’s as a Fr. and even though he fared better from short and mid-range with his shot he still needs to basically learn how to shoot…Rarely shoots the same shot and thus has very sporadic results with his jumper … On top of his lack of jump shooting skills, its most concerning that he isn’t a good shot creator at all … Struggles to get shots for himself and really is a poor ball-handler on the perimeter … Plays with a high center of gravity, and it effects his ability to swiftly move laterally and make/contain sudden movements … Can get beat off the bounce by quicker wings … Right now plays a combo forward game, so improving as a ball handler and shooter is imparitive … Although he is unselfish, he can be passive and has a tendency to float offensively … Lacks strength and girth at 6’9 205, and will need to add strength to better adjust to physical play, maximize his athleticism, and even improve his jump shot consistency … Has a lot to learn and to improve upon, but is very young and still has a whole lot of time to develop ...

Overall: Porter is a prospect with very good upside and physical tools … He’s a tall wing and his length makes him a high upside player, along with his late bloomer status … He really plays within himself and seems to be a smart player with plenty of time to improve … His shot, handle and strength all need major improvement but Porter has a lot of long term appeal as a prospect ...

Otto Porter | NBADraft.net
  12. MARK MADSEN!

MARK MADSEN! First Round Draft Pick

Porter has more upside. Right out of college he will be similar to Prince but Prince had plateaued pretty early on. Porter is a hell of a lot more of a player than Daye though, no matter how raw.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Otto Porter is the closest.
  14. BallDon'tLie

I haven't watched a lot of college hoops this year but I did see a few minutes of a G-Town game a few weeks ago.
    I can see the Tayshaun Prince comparisons in the way Otto moves and in his physical makeup. I might compare him to a "young Tay Prince" which IMO is better than the current version. When RC finally gave Tay his big shot, Tay did what needed to be done in the flow of the offense. He was young and didn't have the clout within the offensive hierarchy to be the ball-stopper that he's become.

I liked reading this in the Draft.net scouting report that Bill posted above:
  15. BillLaimbeer

That certainly doesn't sound like the Tay we all grew to love...
  16. BallDon'tLie

That's definately the sentence that stood out to me.
  17. J-Train

J-Train Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Young Tay would Knock down a couple of open three, get a put back or two, run the floor for a couple of easy buckets, and pick on undersized defenders in the posts. He's get his 14-15 points with only a couple of plays being run for him. As he got older he couldn't get his buckets as easily and he started demanding the ball for his Isotayshauns. Young Tay was a great team basketball player. Old Tay? Not so much.

I think that Porter probably has the most upside in this draft. Will he realize it? Who knows? I do know that he'll be a good defender, willing passer, and be able to knock down the three. He also has a knack for getting to the line. Can he be a 20+ ppg guy? He certainly has the potential. If he is going to be that guy, then he'll have to work on his handle and pull up game.

Right now, he looks like cross between Young Tay and Rudy Gay. His upside is poor man's Scotty Pippen/ Grant Hill. He could be a 20 ppg/ 7 rpg/ 3 apg guy, who also gives you a block and a steal
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Tale of three draft mock boards selecting the Pistons

2013 NBA Mock Draft: Breaking Down All 30 First-Round Selections | Bleacher Report

Says Pistons needs go after Burke because Calderon and Bynum are UFA and might bolt to better pastures.

2013 Mock Draft | NBADraft.net

Says the bigger G/F Oladipo is better fit,

GR III has all the potential in the world, but there is no way anyone should draft him at 11. Dude as digressed since he started banging with the Big 10 conference beef.

The Hoops Report | 2013 NBA Mock Draft

Cody Zeller??
  19. albo23

albo23 Second Round Draft Pick

So what if Oladipo, Burke, McLemore, and Porter are all gone by the time we get our pick, do we go with Burke?
  20. BillLaimbeer

Four players can't be gone when the Pistons will be drafting THIRD!
    BallDon'tLie likes this.