Draft Picks / Free Agents / Trades; Let's talk targets

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Dec 24, 2012.

1. copper

copper Bench Warmer

exactly, our coach has a hard time finding 5 minutes a game to get moose and dre together...if we had faried as well? he would probably be in street clothes with TRG or in dleague.

2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Well, I wouldn't put all three on the floor at the same time. Essentially the same rotation we have right now, but swap Maxiell with Faried.

3. Whitepine

Whitepine First Round Draft Pick Forum Donor

kpaav, coynejeremy, roscoe36 and 4 others like this.
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

coynejeremy and roscoe36 like this.
  5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Fair enough. Let's get serious. Millsap as a three, which is what the team needs to rally around. Must co-exist with Tay and will gain playoff status next year for the Pistons. JD's alter ego will finish his career with an administration position. I would say this is a very good move for Gores, providing that he understands that Machiavelli understood the happenstance of luck...but never took for granted the creative aspects of the lower valleys.

6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Millsap is a bonafied 4. And a solid one at that. He's good backup plan if it turns out that we need to trade Greg Monroe because GM cannot cut at as a PF.

7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Mogilny likes this.
  8. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I can't see your trade, Kgreg.

More and more, game after game, I'm continuing reading that Monroe is not a piece that you build around.

I want to know... Would you trade him straight up for Josh Smith if he agrees to sign at least a 3 year extension with the Pistons?

Would you trade him for Nowitzki? for Pau Gasol?

9. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Nope, nope and nope...you need another big with a skill set similar to cousins to replace Moose. A 4 that can shoot a consistent 15 footer , maybe a aldridge type.

10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Nope, nope and nope......It isn't about replacing Moose, it's about finding a complement for Andre Drummond. Most PF's earn their money on the perimeter (see KG, Dirk and Aldridge) so you have to think defense, neither Monroe or Cousins can guard away from the paint out on the perimeter (especially in Pick and Roll situations) why? Because Moose and Cousins are both CENTERS, our issue right now is that we have 2 Centers and we desperately need a PF. Cousins puts us back at square 1.

Moose, straight up for Smith? YES! Smith and Drummond would form one of the best defensive tandems in the league and we'd continue to dominate the glass.
    Moose for Dirk or Pau? Nope, but only because they're too old, they complement Drummond's game perfectly.

11. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

For Smith? Holy god yes. As said earlier, that gives you one of the quickest, most intimidating set of interior defenders in the league, and some serious fast break potential.

Nowitzki. I would want something in return if I was a GM, but I would personally do it. Nowitzki is the ultimate defense stretching 4. He isn't a bad passer either.

Gasol - Is too overpaid. I would take him at <12m a year, but 19? No way. Plus he is a post scorer, not a shooter.

I'm not sure I agree with this. I actually think GM could be a really good PF the moment he learns to shoot elbow jumpers. That is literally all he needs. He is a great high post passer, but because he doesn't shoot, defenders sag. If he could shoot that without hesitating, it would give us enough space to run high/low sets.

12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Lots of PF's are playing away from the basket and can put the ball on the floor, it's Greg's defense that scares me, I'm not sure he's built to run around the floor guarding guys or rotating all the way out to shooters.

The Panda, copper and roscoe36 like this.
  13. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

With this line of reasoning he wouldn't play center either.

14. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

The only goal is to climb into the playoffs. There are three segments to this team and problem areas associated with one-another: 4-5; 3; 1-2. Millsap is the turning key. He has a workman-like attitude in a world of propagandized media frenzy. With the right team ideology, he well turn that three position into much more...that is the pitch you give him.

linwood likes this.
  15. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons have to stop bringing in players to play them at the wrong position - neither Josh Smith nor Millsap can play the 3 position efficient and certainly not on a team that's already clogging up the middle.

hitafreethrow likes this.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

But if the don't have it going one night they can bring in one of their 6 other SF's. Smith probably could and should play the 3 legitimately.

17. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Fair point

18. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Totally agree. It's like offensively he can play like a 4, but better with his back to the basket...defensively, he's better at guarding fives that stick within 8-10 from the basket. I had hoped that he would improve foot speed and foot work over the years, but it doesn't seem to be happening that quickly...

19. drmcgraw2000

drmcgraw2000 First Round Draft Pick

It has been a very long time since I last posted. As a matter of fact I believe I was still living in Tampa (now I live in Grand Rapids and in a month Atlanta). In any case, I have been watching the Pistons a lot more lately and I have to say I am not as down on this team as some of you. I do believe you are looking at a team that will find a way into the playoffs (thankfully because this years draft is weak and I would prefer to lose our pick now rather then next year).

There are 2 things I think our team currently lacks 1) a go to player that can create his own shot (one day I think Knight can be that guy, at least I am hoping) 2) An identity. Our top 3 young guys (Drummond, Monroe and Knight) are too laid back and our main holdover is also way too laid back. Who can we really trade for that would fill either gap? Nothing excites me when it comes to players that are currently on the block (unless you consider Gay, but his price tag does not warrant it). Even worse is the 2013 free agents..

Of course, like most of you, I have grand visions of people we could trade for and/or sign in Free agency, but let's face it Chris Paul is not coming here, Josh Smith does not fit here, Rudy Gay is too expensive, and we really don't need another 4 or 5 (Millsap). I would prefer that JD resigns Bynum and JMax to reasonable contracts as I believe they are both good bench players. Unlike most of you, I am totally ok with Prince staying on, we need veteran leadership. Don't forget we start a rookie, 2nd year player, 3rd player and our top reserve is also a rookie. We are good on youth.. Stuckey needs to go, he just doesn't fit in and his inconsistency is aging me in dog years. As for Charlie V I wouldn't mind seeing him go, I think Jonas could play just as effective as a stretch 4 and for far less. That, however, brings up a question.. Let's assume we could find a sucker to take on Stuckey and get an expiring contract in return and somehow we cut ties with Charlie V. Even if we signed JMax and Bynum back we would still have a ton of money. What would JD do with it all? Clearly our biggest need is either a true PG and slide BK to 2 or find a true SG who can create his own shot and continue with the BK PG experiment. I know most of you would like to find a replacement for Prince, but I don't 1) think JD feels the same 2) it is really justified. Not to mention, I think we have Prince's replacement and his name is K Singler. I can't tell you how much he reminds me of Prince back in the day when we all wanted him to start over Curry. Singler doesn't do anything great, but he does everything well. At the very least he does not win or lose a game for us. Much like Prince he plays within his abilities and for the most part makes the right basketball decision. Prince is today's glue and Singler is tomorrow's glue.

We do have tradeable assets, at least several guys with expiring contracts and a few guys (Jonas, Max, Bynum, CV, Stuckey) that a few playoff bound teams could use. Maybe JD can swing a trade for the aforementioned true PG or true SG. The question I have is who can we get? I remember when the NBA was full of elite SGs, now an aging DWade and KBryrant are still the gold standard. I guess one could argue that Harden is playing himself into that legacy, but time will tell. Outside of that, no other 2 guard is really that impressive and certainly not much better then what we have. Maybe we can shoot for Eric Gordon and pray he can give 10 injury free games per year :)..

Regardless, I do think the Pistons have a much brighter future then any other pro sports team in Detroit and I am fairly confident that they will make the playoffs this year. There is something about Drummond that tells me we haven't even scratched the surface. People compare him to Howard or Kemp, but I think he is more unique then that. I have never seen somebody so big and athletic so nimble on their feet. I truly believe he can guard a stretch 4 (with the exception of Melo and James) and allow Monroe to do his half a** defense thing in the paint.. Drummond is quickly making me forget about Dark.. O what was his name again??

I am sure many of you will disagree with my post and that is fine, it's all just my opinion. Just be gentle, as a reminder, it's been a long time since I have posted on this board.

linwood, BillLaimbeer, copper and 2 others like this.
  20. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Good to have you back! Great post btw. Most points I agree on.

This made me laugh so hard. I can't think of a better way to put it.

You might be on to something here. I never looked at it that way. Singler is indeed a smart baller and I can see him as a "glue". I'll reserve judgment until he records a "the block" of his own. :)

[/quote]