Draft Express preview Pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Sep 30, 2005.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

That seemed like an accurate assessment of the team and the hurdles they face this year. Lots of "ifs" for a team that hasn't changed their core players. Arroyo, Delfino, Darko. I believe one of those guys will do really well, one will be ok, and the third will be useless. Plus Davis and Evans should help. Maxiell too. I also think the coaching change will work out fine.

I was surprised by the statement that contract years = a 65% chance of an increase in a players performance. I didn't realize it was quite so high, assuming that figure is accurate. That really says something, doesn't it? What are these guys doing the rest of the time. I don't know if guys like Prince and Wallace would be affected that much by a contract year. Those two always seem to be hard working.

Yes, there is some good competition out there, but I don't see any reason why the Pistons won't give them a good run for their money. Can they beat both Miami and Indiana? Sure. Will they? Tough call at this point. I think I will enjoy the ride though...bumps and all.

3. Fool

Fool First Round Draft Pick

I took that percentage as tongue in cheek.

4. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I agree. The analysis appears to be dead on...even up to the overrated Delfino portion. Can't wait to see how this pans out.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That analysis is so good, I could have written it. ;)

Best one I have seen so far. No hype, honesty about the coaching change and possible difficulties resorting from it and pretty comprehensive about the contract situation etc.

Draft Express has been impressing me over the summer. Better than Hoopshype IMO.

6. roscoe36

Just realized that is not Draft Express. Merc hoodwinked us! :mod:

NBADraft.net.

7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Draft express er uh NBADRAFT.NET...Guilty as charged :redface:

The concept of increased performance in a contract year brings up an interesting observation.
    Usually it means the player becomes more selfish wanting to pad his stats.
    In Ben's case that may not be a good thing as there are more effiecient options in the lineup... however at the rate he gets to the FT line a 10% increase in his FT shooting would be a hugh plus... along with getting the opposing bigs in foul trouble.

In Tayshaun's case this is something that everyone has been asking for... he's possibly our most efficient scorer... unfortunately he would defer to Rip or Chauncey instead of going hard to the rack.
    Personally I'd rather see the ball in Tay's hands than Rip's.... he has much better handles and court vision.
    Tay this years goto guy?
    I can see it happening... he's definately put in the work this summer to increase his base strength... If he came in at 7-10 lbs more of added tone and leg strength... sky's the limit!
    Then you're looking at a Joe Johnson type of a payoff.
    I can see why Joe wants to get it done before the season starts.

8. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

delfino is not overrated. he will surprise some people this year. everyone will wonder where this guy came from. flip says he's healthier and ready to play. he's going to thrive in the newer uptempo offense that flip will put in and won't be a defensive liability in the zone defense. he may actually thrive defensively as he is very good at playing passing lanes.

9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I agree Delfino is likely to be a great slasher something we really need. Also I would like Tay to have the ball in his hands more than Rip if you want to work off the dribble, but catch and shoot I say we go to Rip.

10. bball jay

i disagree. rip is turnover prone but he is much more of a threat off the dribble than tay. rips pump fakes just have to be honored and that opens up a lot of drives. so if rip can get his turnovers down he should have the ball in his hand a lot. i think this year is the year of triple double rip.

11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We have to use Tay more he can hit that facing hook over anyone.

12. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Agree with everything they said, except for Delfino being overrated. From what I saw, Delfino had some pretty insane assists and dunks before he got injured and freaked out. If he can get his mojo back, Darko continues to improve, Arroyo picks oup his D, and Dice stays Dice, we could have not only the best starting 5, but the best bench in the league.

13. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Opinion

YEah, a pretty good assessment of Detroit's current state. Delfino will remain overrated until he gives up his own agenda for the team and live up to at least some of what was expected of him in the draft. Yes granting that he was in LB's doghouse last season and the injury, but the fact is he really didn't do much. Yes, he showed flashes last season, but so has Darko in his own time, so what does that make Darko? :nod:

14. bball jay

gives up his own agenda??? what agenda is this?? delfino was injured last year so he never really had a chance to show the full game. so all he really could show was flashes. he's the one piston that would drive to the hole and dunk on somebody. watch when the preseason comes and he unleashes some of those thunder dunks you'll change your tune.

the fact that a lot of our bench players were showing flashes instead of being allowed to contribute means lb is overrated as a coach. he could have contributed in the playoffs but instead was left of the roster to appease lb. how can a young non us born player be expected to contribute under lb.

15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Before Delfino got injured he was giving up a lot of free lanes to the basket... This probably isn't what people want to hear .. but it's true.

He does indeed get his share of steals playing the passing lanes... unfortunately a lot of times those gambles (that missed) lead to easy baskets.

No question he has upside on offense with his excellent handles and transition game... pretty good shooter also.

I want the Delfino faithful to pay special attention to his defense.... this was something that draft experts said he exceled at.

For now we can mask it behind the injuries... but we will be watching :suspiciou

16. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Show Me Da Moneyyyyy!

I dunno about the "agenda" thing, but I will say that Delfino is not what I thought he'd be based on draft day comparisons. Delfino was described as "Michael Finley-like". I definitely have not seen that part of Delfino's game. My original take of Delfino was, "wow this european dude got some handles and some nice athletic ability". Then, all I saw was a series of turnovers, uninspired defense and some poor offensive decisions. Even when healthy, Delfino had some work to do to get ready for the NBA game. Original reports said that Delfino was ready to jump in and make an immediate impact on the team. This has still yet to be proven. A large part of this probably did have to do with Larry Brown, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that he hasn't shown he can contribute yet. Right now I'm actually more partial to Ron Dupree based on performance. ..and that's real.

There is starting to be a common theme here. I guess you just have to show me. Show me the money! What Delfino has shown me so far is no different than what I see on Streetball, And 1, etc... And that again was when he was healthy. How many times did he get called early on for palming the ball on that cross?

Man, I just can't wait until Flip gives the Darkos, the Delfinos, and the Arroyos of the team an opportunity to play. It would be nice to actually see if we have the next upcoming star or a an overhyped Tim Thomas on our team. Remember Ray Allen's comments? "Tim Thomas is the most talented player on the team." We've heard it all before..potential..potential..potential. Big Dog, Kwame Brown, Olowakandi...

SHOW ME DA MONEYYYYYYYYYYY! :)

I'm done debating potential until I can actually see these boys with a nice set of legitimate games under their belt. Ultimately, they are the only ones that can settle these debates.

17. bricalz

Agenda

What I meant was for Delfino to become selfless. That he'd be ok doing whatever for the team. Yeah, he has shown flashes and I'll give him the injury but just because he had that injury doesn't mean he has a free pass to the playoff roster and that he can gripe all he want about not being able to play. He has an "agenda". Maybe another term might correctly describe it but it is escaping me at this time. :confused:

Anyway, I see really that he has the handles and the talent, he just has to give up trying hard to look good and make the plays because if he does that he'll look great, even if he doesn't try. :nod:

18. bricalz

Agenda?

What I'd like to say is that his game shouldn't revolve around what he does, or what he can do but it should revolve around what he can do with the team. It shouldn't be all about him, his playing time and how his injury derailed his rookie season. He shouldn't offer excuses and gripe about how he hasn't been able to show his stuff, he should just chalk it up and focus on his chances, cheer when he's on the sideline and play all out on the court, and shut up about himself in the media. :eyebrows:

19. bball jay

the way i look at it. he just spoke out against a tyrant. carlos delfino never struck me as selfish at all. he has always been too unselfish if you ask me. he was racking up the assists at the end of the season. his jump shot hadn't recovered since the injury so he was rebounding and throwing dimes. he found a way to contribute. his speaking out against his playoff snub may not have been the right thing to do but it was just a man speaking from his heart. i won't hold that against him. delfino did want what was best for the team he wanted to be on the playoff roster. darvin ham on the playoff roster had us going into the playoffs with 11 men. it's weird how all the players that lb snubbed and mistreated and weren't given chances are still here and he's not?? nobody has to chalk it up anymore they will be given the chances they deserve. lets see how delfino, arroyo, dupree and darko play this year and how they speak in the media. carlos spoke out in the media about lb before he even got here. he knew how lb treated memo and didn't want the same thing to happen to him. so when he got here it did so i have no problems with him speaking out against something he was assured wouldn't happen to him.

you think joe would hang on to a guy that is selfish and has his own agenda?? carlos delfino might not make our roster this year. joe could have easily traded him for a draft pick or cash. he didn't do that because he thinks he can contribute. he thought he could contribute when he drafted him. joe doesn't keep selfish players especially guys who aren't exactly part of the core of the team.

20. roscoe36

Joe held onto Delfino because he has no trade value until he proves he is recovered from knee surgery. I'm sure most observers would comment that CD is the first guy who will get added to or be the primary piece in a mid-season trade.

Joe didn't sign Maurice Evans at Playstation dollars if he had unshakeable faith in the Argentinian Enigma or Acker/Hunter.

Joe is not stupid. You move assets when they have value, or you cut them. CD's deal is guaranteed and Joe doesn't throw away money like that.

Anyway, much like Darko, the Brown conundrum has been removed. These guys have to prove that there was nothing stopping them except LB under a new coach. Until they PROVE it, it's all just idle speculation either way.