Breaking News Donald Sterling

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Darth Tater, Apr 28, 2014.

1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I'm just wondering why you would care...she doesn't wield any power over anyone. She is making her own choices and living her own life. It has no effect on any of us.
  2. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Excellent question...thanks for asking.
    One of my pet peeves are spouses who play around and
    ...the others who invade the intimacy of a marriage.
    I've had too many friends who have been hurt by this.
    Personally, between me and you, she's a nobody to me.
    I just don't like the advantage she took in this situation.
    and...her worst fault was dealing with a married man...
    I really understand the posters who disagree with me.
    I just don't have those as my order of values/priorities.

I don't comment on Sterling cause he's not worthy of my thoughts.
    Anybody who simply judges a person by their color, sex, race, or creed is ignorant.
    coynejeremy and basketbills like this.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

A visor would go well with that pic of Gores where he's holding the soccer ball in his classic light blue 5-button polo.
    linwood likes this.
  4. linwood

linwood All-Star

Nearly did the old Spit Take with this one! Thanks buddy.

This computer is property of the Denver Squirrels and is not to be removed from facilities.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

So Shelly Sterling is a 50% owner and intends to keep her ownership? That complicates things substantially.
  6. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The asian women in my hood have been wearing these full length visors for years now to block their faces from tanning / burning. Of course they are designed much more pragamtically with some actually true welding style.
  7. Nemo

Maybe that's why we've heard nothing about a pending sale of the team yet.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Not sure how Silver overlooked that likely defense tactic since he's an attorney. This is going to be a chess match moving forward it appears and could take years to resolve (worst case scenario) with league damaging events that could go on an on (player boycotts, fan boycotts, sponsor apprehension, etc).

The franchise is currently owned in a family trust where she is a 50% beneficiary. If one of them dies, the 50% automatically goes to the other one.

Possible strategies:
    1) She is working with the Donald to try to drive up the price of the franchise for both of their benefits (i.e. nobody wants to buy 50% of the Clippers and be partners with her and her half is not going to a forced sale. So, now, the entire franchise is for sale and the buyer must meet HER asking price, which will be higher than it would go for in an auction).
    2) She is working with him try to block a sale completely. Her half is not for sale. Her half is essentially also his and he'll continue to be a de facto franchise owner.
    3) She will be the buyer for his half at a greatly discounted purchase price. In an extreme example, would he be allowed to sell it to her for $1? This isn't a fraudulent transfer since it isn't creditors pursuing him and since he's perfectly solvent otherwise. Could the other owners or the league block a sale of the franchise to somebody who is already a 50% owner? Did the league's mandate say that he has to sell his position or auction his position?
    4) They will string it out with legal defenses until he passes away and Shelly inherits 100% ownership.
    5) They just try to completely block the mandate and win in court. Imagine if he mounts a defense that says that his personality was altered by certain cancer drugs and he was not his true self.
    6) Shelly is just a really big fan of the Clippers, has a heart of gold, and can't stand the thought of losing ownership of her beloved team. She abhors her husband's views. (i.e. her official position).

She apparently called Doc Rivers and asked him if he minded if she attend the games going forward. It sounds like he reluctantly gave his consent. He has also publicly stated that he would be uncomfortable going forward if she retains ownership because it wouldn't be clear who was really in charge (sexism?).

Complicating factors:
    - DS was recorded in private saying things that are not illegal.
    - DS was previously sued for illegal things, but settled out and did not admit guilt
    - DS was sued for illegal things by a former employee, but won in a jury trial
    - DS asked for his conversations to be recorded because his mind was slipping from cancer medications (and maybe age).

This could get uglier.
    brofmfa and Nemo like this.
  9. max

max All-Star

From what I heard the wife was involved in the seedy rent scndals as well so she may not be the model citizen they are looking for.

Sterlings have historically been lousy owners. This is a good chance to sell it to someone who cares more.
  10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You're putting a lot of words in my mouth. My two points are:

1) What basketbills said:
    Donald Sterling's racist statements (and by extension, his ugly past racist behavior which has arguably done real harm to others) are the story. How the statements were revealed to the public is interesting but irrelevant. I have read and heard quite a few reactions (mostly not on this forum) to the effect of, "Yeah Sterling is an idiot and of course I don't agree with him, BUT LOOK AT WHAT [I ASSUME] THIS WOMAN DID!!!!" It comes across (unintentionally by some) as minimizing Sterling to merely a "role in the story" or one of the problems; rather than his rightful place as the story/problem. Some people wish the statements were revealed by a morally pure individual with nothing to gain, but that wouldn't change anything about the truth of Donald Sterling and why he needs to be removed from the NBA, which is what the real story is. Who leaked the tape and how it was leaked is irrelevant.

2) I think it's mean-spirited and unbecoming to trash this lady based on assumptions that were made by everyone about how the tape got made and leaked. Assumptions that have turned out to be tenuous at best and completely wrong and misleading at worst. It's the same jump to conclusions that falsely convicted Richard Jewell in the court of public opinion for the Atlanta Olympic bombing, just to name one of many similar examples. It happens all the time, and it gets tiresome. I don't profess to understand how much this lady was involved in the story, and I don't profess to know her, and since there's been no credible information released about her, I choose not to assume that I am in the position to pass judgement on her character.
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
    linwood likes this.
  11. coynejeremy

The way I heard it (on LA sports radio from a member of the media who was in attendance during the post-game interviews), Doc said she called him before the game to see if it would be all right if she came to the game. He thought all of the things you said in point 6 above, and graciously told her that of course she should be able to attend, even telling the media about it. After the game, members of the media showed him newspaper articles from back during the days of the housing dicsrimination trials that documented Shelly's role in the mess, and he was left shaking his head and saying, "You learn something new every day."

With that in mind, I understand his discomfort with her being a partial owner going forward.

I also think there's not a snowball's chance in hell that any of the family, including Shelly Sterling, is allowed to own or be involved with the team in any way going forward, at least if Adam Silver has his way. He was way too forceful in dropping the hammer on Donald to be able to allow any leniency to Shelley.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Silver already explicitly told her that the fine and ban did not apply to her. How is he going to backtrack on that and extend the forced sale of property to her?

It's also going to be very difficult to take an issue that has been known for about a decade where there was no legal finding to trump her property rights.

I'm talking about the NBA's likely inability to achieve their goal here. I'm not talking about what "should" happen in a perfect world.
  13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

What word (let alone words) did I put in your mouth?
  14. coynejeremy

Mainly I just meant you seemed to misunderstand my position. I'm not arguing in favor of or against this lady and her character, just against the rush to judgement and the rush to degrade her. Hopefully my post cleared up what that position is. I reread your post and I think it came across a little differently the second time.
  15. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

The Sterlings are not actually divorced, are they? So, she doesn't technically "own" half the team. If they were to get a divorce, then she'll be entitled to half the team.

If she did actually own half the team, how can the league actually force her to sell her share because of something the husband did/said? She may not be a model citizen either, but she should be judged based on what she says/does herself. For instance, if a guy goes and murders someone, his wife doesn't automatically go to jail. If she hides him or whatever, then it would be aiding a fugitive which has a different penalty than murder.

I think TaS is right. This thing is going to get uglier.
    Nemo likes this.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think that she does technically own 50% of the team. If he dies, she would then inherit his 50% (tax free because it is marital property). It is owned by the family trust and she is a 50% beneficiary of the trust, as is he.

Beyond that, it's estate planning and I'm over my skis.

This is why banks require the personal guaranty from the spouse as well as the primary borrower. If a person doesn't owe you anything, it's very difficult to take their property away.
  17. Nemo

I made factual comments about her situation. Her arrest record is public information, as well as her many aliases.
    I only formed an opinion about the tape conversation and the fact that she was involved with a married man.
    I feel that I didn't degrade her...I just stated facts and opinions which I hold true.
    I will call anybody who involves themselves with another married person a bimbo.
    I hold a very low value for anyone who does that...apparently not everybody else has those feelings.
  18. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think the ace up the NBA's sleeve is they can try to kick the Clippers franchise out of the league with the other owners consent and proving that Sterling broke league laws/policies. At which point his franchise would be worth zilch.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Clippers fans would love that.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Mrs. Sterling almost has to booze it up , right? I bet it'd be easy to fake a tape of her saying racist things.