Breaking News Donald Sterling

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Darth Tater, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

roscoe36 likes this.
  2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nothing wrong with being a whistle blower. Would you rather we didn't know exactly who Sterling really is?
    coynejeremy likes this.
  3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thank you for this post.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He seemed like such a good guy before this came out...

If he sells now, he'll make a killing. If he fights it into next season, he'll get player and fan boycotts and will likely end up selling at a discount. Will be interesting to see if he punishes himself that way.
  5. max

max All-Star

I'd rather they would have lost so dont have to keep hearing about it in the 2nd round.

A whistle blower is someone who is trying to do the right thing and it takes a lot of courage to be one because there can be very serious consequences.

In this case. We have someone trying to get revenge for not being properly paid off.
  6. Nemo

Sterling has a history...one that was being basically ignored cause he threw dollars around.
    The bimbo simply used the right type of media to get the sensationalism out there so it could not be ignored.
  7. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Lets not pretend she was doing it because she really cared. Otherwise she wouldn't have gone to TMZ or done these ridiculous interviews.

I haven't seen anyone try to paint her in a positive light but there isn't much too it. She was sleeping with the guy for money and knew about all of his bad traits for a long time.
    Walter, max and Nemo like this.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Speaking of sleeping with people for money, how does he talk about his hookers in depositions and not get in trouble?
  9. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

The guy I really feel sorry for is poor J.J. Redick.
    Walter, roscoe36 and BillLaimbeer like this.
  10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Maybe, maybe not - motives are always hard to judge. But, if the person doing the recording had been a man we wouldn't be having any of these conversations. Nor throwing around words like bimbo. You have no idea who she is, what her life is like, or why she did what she did. All we know is that if she hadn't done it, the buffoon would still be sitting courtside laughing along to his own little racist and sexist monologues in his head.
  11. max

max All-Star

if it was a guy then we would also have found out that he was homosexual - Not that there is anything wrong with that.
  12. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Fair enough. However, we do know a little about her as she has made herself quite public on social media and the Barbara Walters interview. Throw in the Bill Simmons article about the plane ride with Sterling. I know a persons life is much more complex than sexualized Instagram photos, photos on top of cars, describing your Job as "lil rabbit" (whatever that means), but these are also at least small portals into a person's life. I am very interested in what we do not see though - that would be most telling, and may be I suspect painful.
    Nemo likes this.
  13. coynejeremy

Exactly. Who she is and her personal character is completely irrelevant to the validity of Donald Sterling's racism and buffoonery and his unsuitability for the position he is in (as an owner/representative of the league)
  14. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Most definitely!
    And who wouldn't want to be the lead contract lawyer on this case?
    Owners are notoriously arrogant about those that break rank:
    just isn't done...eating the closeness of your species meat,
    can get un-nerving, when you have once comfortably looked the club members,
    eye-to-eye.
    Silver has played his best card,
    and this is far from over.
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
    kpaav, Nemo and linwood like this.
  15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

IMO Sterling is a scumbag that did the wrong thing for the wrong reason.

IMO the girl is a scumbag that did the right thing for the wrong reason. She wasn't worried about human rights. She knew what he was about when she let him shower her with gold. You think an "attractive" young female would follow Him around for the pleasure of his company? Don't be naive. She did what she did out of spite and greed. But something good came of it. But that was luck of the draw.
    She's no Rosa Parks.

Something good came of Sterlings hatred and ignorance. We all applauded the NBA's banishment of him and we all felt good about that and it made us all more aware of a cancer in our society that we like to pretend isn't there.

It was a small step in the right direction yet it was also a significant one because it sent a message. But everyone still feels the way they felt about stuff before.

Yes, the kind of person she is doesn't change who or what Sterling is or did. But what he did doesn't change who or what she is either. She was fine with it as long as she was getting hers.

I listen to a Philly sports station. I won't tell you specifics because I don't want to go there. But I couldn't believe the things coming out of callers mouths. Well, I could but it saddened me. Ignorance from white AND black. Hatred. It's still ugly if we care to open our eyes.

But I will tell you about one really good caller. The best, IMO. A young black guy maybe 20-25. He said calmly and without a touch of malice. Just curiosity. Something like " I just want to sit down with him (Sterling) in a room. Just the two of us. Nothing combative. I just want to talk and ask him. Why? Why do you hate me? I don't understand. What did I do to you. What did I ever do to make you hate me". And I think about it all the time. Because I don't know why. And I don't believe for one minute that it is a one way street either and it makes me incredibly sad.
    BallDon'tLie, Walter, Nemo and 2 others like this.
  16. Nemo

He's a married multi-millionaire...she's intruding on the marriage. She set the guy up. She is being sued for embezzling millions...she's a bimbo.....I would have no trouble saying this to her face. Very...very...very few people draw name calling from me...she's a bimbo...he's an idiot.
  17. coynejeremy

Don't make me laugh. They are still "married" because a divorce would cost him money. He willfully abrogated his wedding vows long ago through his decades-long cavorting with paid women. She's intruding on the marriage just like a fly intrudes on a house that someone demolished with a load of TNT.

She's being sued for embezzlement because the family is trying to get the money back that Donald willfully and consciously lavished on her, not because she's a criminal. She revealed for the world to witness about Sterling what we had only known second-hand, rumored, and uncorroborated until then. He's a bigot and an idiot of epic proportions. The girl is just a speck on the refuse heap that is Sterling's life and legacy.

And I don't think she led him on that much in the recording. He didn't really have to be coaxed to the water, he jumped right in on his own.
  18. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Great post Darth.
  19. linwood

linwood All-Star

I agree. I usually TL; DR Drath's post, but this one was excellent.

This computer is property of the Denver Squirrels and is not to be removed from facilities.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  20. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Lets not make out V. Stiviano as a whistleblower or good person. She is yet another example of a person setting back women's rights and perceptions by men / media / corporations decades. Yep here we go, another gold digging, over exposed, plastic surgery destroyed women scorned. I wish this was leaked by some awesome assistant that was normal and cared about the message not the source. Lets not make out the NBA as a bastion of race relations. This is the same league that coddled Sterling. The same league that made players literally change their look and fashion to be "more professional" aka white to appease the corporate types. This is one of the most racist things ever (IMHO) done on a national scale and so out in the open. (My favorite thing is the players absolutely owning this and changing fashion completely into the new nerd thing). But as pass says, it is not over. I am grabbing my popcorn and watching this empire fall.
    brofmfa and linwood like this.