Breaking News Donald Sterling

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Darth Tater, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I thought this was significant enough to warrant its own thread. If not, just continue posting in the articles thread. I believe this isn't just going to go away.

I first labeled it important. Then changed it to breaking news. I wasn't sure which would be better.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My guess the first thing that Adam Silver will do is banish him from the playoff games. They will not let him sit courtside for a nationally-televised playoff game tomorrow.
  3. Darth Tater

Absolutely. Then make him sell the team if you can legally do that.

The guy should not represent the NBA. He is also essentially a slum lord too if you look into his rental properties. He isn't good for the league. That's aside from everything else he represents.

But some people are placing pressure on the players not to play. If they do that they will destroy everything they worked for. Plus the innocent fans. But perhaps the biggest reason is that if they sit out they will become the story instead of Sterling. Then people start questioning them. The fans should still go to the playoff games but not by the concessions. Chant things about him if they want. Then as soon as possible get him out of the league. If this goes through next season don't let him go to the games. But the fans and players should support each other the best they can.
  4. max

max All-Star

Its huge.
    This is clearly not the thoughts of a sane man. I am thinking that maybe he has dimentia or something. Think about it. Here he is seeing a girl 50 years younger and he is worrying about what people think about her taking a courtside picture with Magic Johnon? Makes no sense. And she is a minority herself - crazy.

I was also reading today that Sterling had asked this girl to record all their conversations since he was forgetting things so I guess she has the right to put them all out there. I dont know
  5. Darth Tater

He may be crazy. But where do you distinguish between him being a spoiled evil (or at least extremely twisted man) and mental illness ? I think he is both possibly but I don't think it is only the mental illness that is the cause of this behavior. He is used to having everything his way in the world and having everyone kiss his arse. Does he really BELIEVE the world revolves around him? Or does he just DESIRE it to be? In his world everything DOES revolve around him. He is going to be in for a big shock when this doesn't go away. They take his team and all the money in the world won't get it back. Maybe a first for him.
  6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

This sort of behavior is not new for this guy. Everybody knew what kind of person he was, and everybody put up with it for many years now. I find all this posturing by everybody, from Silver to players union to sportscasters, a bit disingenuous; to me it all seems a lot like them covering their own asses by distancing themselves from Sterling. All these years, even if they didn't like him, they all tolerated him and worked with him - now that some sensationalist tape recording is leaked, a disgraceful pissing match started with everybody trying to out-deplore each other. NAACP was getting ready to give him a second lifetime achievement award for Pete's sake! The whole things stinks to high heavens. Just look at this:
    Alleged racist remarks from Clippers owner Donald Sterling finally prompt NBA probe - Yahoo Sports
    All this, and it took a stupid audio tape recording for anyone to really take notice.

Here's a good read about the way out of this mess:
    Exit strategy for NBA, Donald Sterling: Sell Clippers to Magic Johnson - Yahoo Sports
    round, The Panda and Darth Tater like this.
  7. max

max All-Star

I listened to the conversation. His points were all over the place and had no sense or rational to them.

This is the ist expusure I have had of the guy other than knowing he was a complete cheapskate before.
  8. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

on a side note, why was this tape leaked? Who recorded it? And why? In other words: cui bono? This whole story soudns like a trap to me.
    Nemo likes this.
  9. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

The Knicks Larry Johnson wants to fight fire with fire!

Knicks' Larry Johnson calls for all-black basketball league - Washington Times
  10. Darth Tater

Do you know what is really strange about this thing. We all knew that Sterling was a piece of... No, a pile of... Sh... It probably doesn't surprise any of us that he said this.

But I AM surprised that in the middle of an argument and given the way he obviously feels and views things that as far as we know, not once, did he spew out the "N" word.

My guess is that given his strong feelings and the social no no of using the word, that he trained himself not to use the buzz word so that he wouldn't slip in public and that even if he couldn't keep his big mouth closed in mixed company so that he could get away with the bad stuff he said in a more " subtle" or "tactful" way. That in his mind he could get a away with it that way. And he did. For too long.

Or maybe I overthought it and itwas just because the girl wasn't white, lol

Stern is in some tropical paradise sipping on a Piña Colda laughing his A off and thinking "Whew. That was close"!
  11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

David West said it best...
    “Sterling basically articulated plantation politics…Make money off the Bucks/Lay with the Women/No Association in Public good or bad.”

Did you see the quote from Sterling?
    “We have heard the tape on TMZ. We do not know if it is legitimate or if it has been altered." Shouldn't he have some idea whether he said it or not?

And let's not forget the other issue here - he thinks of the girlfriend not as a person but as something to be owned and done with as he will. In his world if you're not old, rich, and white you are an object to be possessed and used.
  12. Darth Tater

So I'm hearing the NAACP was going to give him a lifetime achievement award next week. Was he giving them money to look away. Now it isn't convenient to ignore it? Free agents knew what he was so why did they sign with him? The league looked the other way all this time. NOW they are concerned? The stupid girl was scum.

Why could he bring HER to the games but she couldn't bring Magic?? Because SHE was 1/2 black 1/2 Hispanic.

This story is so full of dirt it's sickening.
  13. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I came here, clicked and...oh... rants...
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

She definitely conducted the interview intelligently (even if she may have been coached)- raising points that let him ruminate on his philosophies. She didn't have to trap very hard at all.

Can't remember if I read it here or somewhere else, but an interesting point was raised as follows: Even this guy does not actually believe that he is racist. In his mind, he is a provider and philanthropist. He's so not racist, that he's dating a (half) black woman. He'd absolutely love for her to be herself and to bring black people to the games, but it's just too hard to change society and he's forced to try to appeal to others who would frown upon it. Even in Israel, it is that way... worldwide law of nature that he's resigned to reluctantly obey.

No matter how this plays out, he will believe that he was unjustly accused of being racist and will feel betrayed for all that he's done.

But how it actually plays out is pretty interesting. It can't be that easy for a commissioner to force the sale of a half billion dollar asset... and it shouldn't be. Sponsors will boycott, but fans will still show up for the games (if they don't, the prices will drop and then they will). Ratings for the games on TV probably increased because of the scandal. And he has enough net worth to be stubborn and absorb losses for the foreseeable future with a ton of paper gains sitting in equity in the franchise, which he bought for absolutely nothing.

When Augusta National was being protested by Martha Burke & co for being sexy sexist, they were so stubborn, they aired the Masters that year with zero commercials. Sterling might go that route and eat losses until people get exhausted with the story. If they get bumped out of the playoffs, it will be hard for the story to push on all through the off season. Even the Malaysian airliner story has faded.

You know there has to be another owner or two out there wondering what would happen to their rep if somebody would have recorded some of their conversations.
  15. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

16. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

He should keep his team...fans should boycott his team til he has to sell.
    Trying to take away what is his will only result in years of lawsuits.
    Ban him from the games and he'll just find a 2nd girlfriend to play with.
    Players should play...because they play for themselves, their families, and the fans.
    Just don't do anything social with the guy...Holiday parties ect.
    Just don't talk to him at work...give him the big freeze. :cold:
  17. Darth Tater

What about players who are drafted by him? What about fans who can't go to games because they don't want to support a guy being what Sterling is? In light of this do you think it is realistic for the NBA to have him represent them?

Bring on the lawsuits. He must go NOW! Maybe they can start gaining a little respect by doing the right thing?
  18. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Also the NBA can't be considered the same as any business. There is so much taxpayer money, anti-anti trust legislation, etc that there is a decent chance he is forced to step down and even sell/give team to kids. The other owners however probably don't want to set precedent on losing a franchise.
  19. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Players who are drafted by him will earn a nice living. They don't have to associate with him, just play for the team.
    Fans who cannot attend games can boycott him outside. A picket march will help to decrease ticket sales.
    The NBA will fine him...I figure about 5-10 million will do the trick. News of that, and some good old fashioned
    boycott action will do the trick.
  20. Darth Tater

We both know money means nothing to him. And the other stuff... Why not fix it. Give Magic a chance at it.