1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Does Joe D Need To Change His Strategy Regarding Free Agents?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Feb 8, 2010.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I like it.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Be nice please because I enjoy reading Pass' posts.

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

How can I be anymore nice than "It's all good"? :)

4. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Team Captain 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

"It's all great", that would be a start.

5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Yeah c'mon Laim get with the "great" program

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Joe told Langlois that he would likely split up this years MLE for a couple players.
    This years MLE is gonna be watered down when you consider that more than 1/4 of the teams can spend max $'s on a FA...
    When you consider the teams that can re-sign their own FAs for the max then you're looking at almost 1/2 the teams with more than the MLE to spend.
    Here comes Joe with his partial MLE and a crappy record... yep that'll land a big fish :skull:

7. max

max All-Star

Dumars should forget everything he has learned the past 6 years and go back to how he was. Forget about this new NBA BS and build a solid team. Front court used to be his priority.

8. Sara

Sara First Round Draft Pick

So I hear we're after Chris Bosh once he becomes a free-agent?

9. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

nah. Pistons has only mid-level exception( 5-6 million) for new players.

10. Brap

Brap Starter

Joe just came over and had breakfast with me. We had tea, lemon scones, and some Wheaties with 2% milk. Joe laid out his plan for me.

1) We aren't contenders this year or next - in fact, we're projected into the lottery next season as well, perhaps another very high pick because there are no available big men, and it's expected Ben Wallace's performance will decline. He was hoping that we could trade Rip for a quality big man this season, but injuries killed his trade value. So his strategy had to shift. Part of the new plan incorporates being in position to draft a great player this season and next season.

2) Tay will be traded at the peak of his value in the summer or by the trade deadline.

3) The team is building around Stuckey, Daye and Jerebko. The team loves Gordon off the bench, but there's a longer range vision for him. (Keep reading). Joe is hoping to draft a great star (Wall or Turner) or a high quality center (possibly Cousins - major stud, but interviews and background checks will be key) this season. He's also hopeful that Summers will prove himself to be a young core player soon, but admits that it's hard to get him minutes with Maxiell playing so well off the bench, so Summers might get lost in shuffle. (Again, longer range vision for Maxiell, keep reading).

4) Short range vision: keep acquiring excellent young assets - one of which will come when we trade Tay within a year. Another potentially prime draft pick in 2011. So that's two moe potential core guys in 2011.

5) Longer range vision Part A, after acquiring and sorting our assets over next two seasons - and premium goals are to develop the young guys so we can do that, and not meaninglessly just jettison a fine player because he molted on the bench before we figured out if he can play or not, well have Stuckey, Daye, Jerebko, maybe Summers, the 2010 pick, the 2011 pick, and who we get for Tay as our in-hand core group.

6) LRV Part B: after two more seasons of this, guess who will be super assets? Yep, the contracts of Rip, CV, Gordon and Maxiell -- all popping within a season. Today's bad contract is tomorrows GREAT contract. The bigger and worser the better. See Tracey McGrady. At about the time the young guys will be seasoned pros and we're hoping to take the next step, Joe D has the Pistons primed to accomplish exactly that.

Joe's a really smart nice guy. He was a pleasant breakfast companion. He even helped me load the dishes in the dishwasher.

11. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Sounds like a solid one, but, a big but, what's in the owner's mind ?

12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Outstanding post, simply outstanding!!!! I will say this, Joe has stated that he is a championship GM. Sometimes I have to remember that. Joe doesn't swing for the fences, but he does play to win the game, while some are happy to pad illusionary stats. Joe won't deal to be good, he'll only deal to assemble a legit contender.

13. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Great post Brap.