1. PF.com is also on Facebook. Follow/Like us Here.
    Dismiss Notice

Does it make any difference?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, May 18, 2017 at 3:49 PM.

?

Does it make any difference?

This poll will close on May 25, 2017 at 3:49 PM.
  1. Yes

2. No

3. Clickers

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Does it make any difference TO YOU if the Pistons total annual salaries are $80 million or $90 million?

Assume at $90 million Tom Gores is paying some amount of luxury tax.

Does it change how you view the games if Dre makes $18M a year or $21M a year?

2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I don't care what the players make or if Gores has to dole out the cash. All I care about is winning.

That being said, it would piss me off it we're paying someone a lot of money and that guy isn't doing jack (see Smith, Josh)

roscoe36 likes this.
  3. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Because of my work and where I live, it's much harder for me to watch the games.

That is part of the reason I look at stats and 'other' factors as well.

Championship teams generally have two things in common:
    1 - Superstars to carry the team
    2 - Solid role players on reasonable deals.

I'm not talking about the deep bench ring chasers who sign for vet minimum. But the guys who actually contribute and are on really good deals. Managing salary is a big part of building a championship team. I don't care if we end up paying luxury tax. It's not my money. But I do care if we can't sign a $5m guy because the FO couldn't be bothered actually negotiating with the higher payed players.

Austin Rivers is paid $11m a year. If they hadn't have signed him they could have picked up some decent bench players and maybe won some more games.

roscoe36 likes this.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This is exactly how I feel. To my knowledge, there are no asterisks in the record books denoting how much each team was paid.

A great example is the Red Wings. They basically forced the NHL to create a salary cap system. Still, I love Mike Illitch for spending every penny he could to field a winner. That has to be a great thing about being a Tigers fan. Regardless of how the team does, you know Mike didn't spare a penny along the way.

I empathize. I watched ZERO NBA action when I was in NZ. That was around 90/91 so pre-internet. That after being a diehard Pistons fan to the point of seeing Finals games in person and meeting the Pistons IRL.

Walter and The Panda like this.